AquaMaxx Sulfur Denitrator TS-1

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of trying a better pump (than an aqualifter) to address rhe drip rate.

I am not a fan of using a pinch valve....i think a nice dosing pump of some kind to run that line might be better..

Problem is, dosing pumps are not designed for continuous use

I think it has a lot more to do with the valve than the pump, but frankly I'm not convinced even the valve is that important. Time is the most important factor. My reactor came with a basic Eheim pump and it's great for the job. My drip rate issues were addressed by a combination of a decent-quality needle valve and just letting the reactor settle in. My reactor is fully broken in and I'm now using a cheapo plastic valve (I realized my needle valve was brass, duh) and I never have to adjust drip rate anymore, which proves to me that neither valve nor pump are nearly as important as just letting things settle in (along with the rare (twice a month?) opening of the valve to full-bore for two hours and then wiping the invisible gunk off the tip of the effluent line)

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you also running a protein skimmer when you're running the denitrator ?
(My Vertex 180i skimmer just doesn't seem to be getting the job done on my 100 gallon tank with 12 fish; I don't think I'm over feeding them either. I can't seem to get my nitrates below 160 either.)

Allen

My skimmer started pulling a LOT less than normal once the denitrator was up & running, and the smell of the skimmate went from nasty to somewhat pleasant organic. It really seemed like the denitrator was taking a lot of load off the skimmer. I'm currently experimenting with running no skimmer and everything has been fine for a couple months now. I'm just amazed at how efficient these sulphur denitrators can be once they're broken in. It's been great not having to dump the cup any more. My skimmer is HOB so it's also nice not having to see a cup of skimmate every time I look at the tank, lol

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going out of town...increase the drip rate to a very rapid drip/almost continuous stream.

It may not be running at peak performance in thar mode but it isn't likeky to clog up.

Cycling it back to optimum performance will only take a few days once you get back home.

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The operative word here is "significant." There is a possibility, but I wouldn't call it a significant or material one. You're only going to get hydrogen sulfide if your drip rate is really low. And if your drip rate is really low, you're not going to be putting very much water in the tank. Assuming you're home at least once a day, I can't see how the problem could get too out of hand. If you nevertheless neglect to check your drip rate during the break-in process, and your effluent starts smelling like rotten eggs, it won't take you very long to notice at all, that smell travels well. I think the only way it could get out of hand is if you left town during the break-in process. But I suppose the bright side there is, if your valve is clogged enough to start producing hydrogen sulfide and you're not home to open the valve, well your drip rate will be zero before very long anyway as the valve continues to clog up. Your reactor will be very sulfate-ridden by that point but at least it's not going into the tank. A simple flush and you're good to go.

The bottom line is, whatever risk there is, is so low that I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you're not going on any long trips during the break-in process, which can be 6-8 weeks.

Okay. I got the AquaMaxx ConeS-Q2 skimmer. It's been running for about 4 weeks now and my Nitrates are down to 60 (Been changing 15 gallons of water every week.).

I just received the AquaMaxx TS1 sulfur denitrator.

I'll be going away to Thailand for about 2 weeks, starting December 26th. Should I wait until I get back from my trip before I install the sulfur denitrator in my sysltem?

Thanks for any info and/or advice.

Allen

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait just because you need to monitor the output of the TS-1 for the first few weeks as it will fluctuate.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im up to about a rate of 15 gallons per day of completly clear of nitrates.

I am happy with it....between ozone or the denitrator, the denitrator is the better buy if you ask me.
1484088922826.jpeg

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Newb73 That's about exactly what my water looks like for both as well

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back from Thailand and I'm going to setup my TS-1.
Any tips or suggestions setting it up would be greatly appreciated.
Should I run some RO/DI water through it first before putting it into my 'system' ?
(Thinking of putting it so the water going into the TS-1 comes from an area just before the sump's return pump to the DT and the water coming out of the TS-1 drips right in front of the sump's return pump to the display tank.)

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really help with your setup as mine is kinda messed up. I am still running a wet/dry filter until I can plumb in my new 40B sump. My intake is after the wet/dry and dumps into before the skimmer. Figured it couldn't hurt to go through the skimmer before returning. I just set it up using tank water straight off after rinsing the carbonate heavily.

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really help with your setup as mine is kinda messed up. I am still running a wet/dry filter until I can plumb in my new 40B sump. My intake is after the wet/dry and dumps into before the skimmer. Figured it couldn't hurt to go through the skimmer before returning. I just set it up using tank water straight off after rinsing the carbonate heavily.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any problem with powder from the sulfur ?
(Using LSM sulfur.)

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinsed it too but it doesn't have as much dust as the carbonate

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran a line from the area right under my filter socks and put the return in the center section (refugium)

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures to show but a small update.

Tested my nitrates again last night and tank is holding nitrates at approximately 10 and effluent is still coming out at zero.

The TS-1 is definitely doing it's job and keeping my nitrates down to a manageable amount

abinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got 'distracted' and finally was going to set up my AquaMaxx Sulfur Denitrator TS-1. However, I'm glad that I played around with it in the kitchen sink.

It appears to be leaking at the point where it goes into the recirculating pump. (See photo.)
Is there a way to tighten the connection there? (It seems tight already.)
7405506c136dd1799f515696e3d85e2d.jpg

Thanks for any help or advice.

Allen

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back