OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set mine up as instructions show and have had no issues with air after a couple days. The air will bleed out albeit slowly. Tip the unit so that the air is near the output. This will get most of it out, the rest will slowly bleed out

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reactor has been running great and I've kept my NO3 at 1.0 with a ton of feeding and 35 fish. My effluent line was clogged but before I checked that, I actually opened up the reactor to clean it all out. And all of the bacteria mulm and biofilm was lost in the cleaning.

Once it's opened, does it take another 6-8 weeks to break in again? Anyone ever take theirs apart to clean and the process just continues? I have my effluent drip rate pretty slow for now as I am assuming I have to have bacteria build up again.

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried one of these? I got one yesterday and have set it up in my system, just want to know if anyone else has tried them and how it worked out for them. I also have a few questions for anyone that might have had any experience with it.

Does it always have air bubbles inside?
Is the outflow constant? Because mine is not.

Tank11.jpg
I got one about a month ago for my 150. I think bubbles are part of it priming itself, and with the sulfur media being round air will be trapped in the system. I found that if I tipped the denitrator on something about an inch tall it helps direct any bubbles out of the system. Tip it with the exit chamber towards the ceiling so bubbles that pop up go right to the exit chamber. The first couple weeks I rocked it a bit to help work out bubbles otherwise the bubbles interfere with the drip system of the denitrator. I hope that all makes sense. Happy reefing

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one about a month ago for my 150. I think bubbles are part of it priming itself, and with the sulfur media being round air will be trapped in the system. I found that if I tipped the denitrator on something about an inch tall it helps direct any bubbles out of the system. Tip it with the exit chamber towards the ceiling so bubbles that pop up go right to the exit chamber. The first couple weeks I rocked it a bit to help work out bubbles otherwise the bubbles interfere with the drip system of the denitrator. I hope that all makes sense. Happy reefing
I have a piece of plastic about 1/2 and inch tall under one side. It makes the bubbles collect on that side and keeps them out of the pump.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Aquamaxx TS-1
I had it running on my 110 gallon reef but I upgraded to a 180 gallon. It was great on the 110. When I broke the 110 down, I emptied the and rinsed out the denitrator. It sat empty for almost a year.

I now have it on the 180 gallon and I can't get the water to clear up. It seems like I have a constant bacterial bloom. I looked at the Sulfur Denitrator and the water inside is VERY cloudy. Almost milky.
I believe this is why my display is constantly cloudy. The denitrator It's dropping my Alk which is expected.

The 180 has been up and running for about 5 weeks now. The Denigrator has been up and running for about 2 weeks now.
I have it at about a drop per second. Nitrates coming out are 0 - 5ppm. Display is running the same numbers.

Alk............ 8.21 (Trident)
Cal............ 427 (Trident)
Mag......... 1345 (Trident)
PH............ 7.93 (Apex Probe)
Salinity.... 35.7 (Apex Probe)
Nitrate.... 0 - 5ppm (API Reagent in ReefBot)
Phos........ 0 - 0.25ppm (API Reagent in ReefBot)
Temp...... 77.4 (Apex Probe)

Why is my water in the denitrator so milky?
Why can't I get past this bacterial bloom?

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Aquamaxx TS-1
I had it running on my 110 gallon reef but I upgraded to a 180 gallon. It was great on the 110. When I broke the 110 down, I emptied the and rinsed out the denitrator. It sat empty for almost a year.

I now have it on the 180 gallon and I can't get the water to clear up. It seems like I have a constant bacterial bloom. I looked at the Sulfur Denitrator and the water inside is VERY cloudy. Almost milky.
I believe this is why my display is constantly cloudy. The denitrator It's dropping my Alk which is expected.

The 180 has been up and running for about 5 weeks now. The Denigrator has been up and running for about 2 weeks now.
I have it at about a drop per second. Nitrates coming out are 0 - 5ppm. Display is running the same numbers.

I have the Aquamaxx TS-1

you should sell your ts-1 and get the ts-2 it is rated for up to 400 gallons depending on your bio load. It would handle a well stocked 180 nicely! I have about 190 total gallons with my sump so I’m definitely good. I’m just about to hit the 5th week mark with mine. I test the water coming out back to the sump and the nitrate/nitrites are a lot less than in my tank. So one more week and I’ll open the drip more since it should have a good bacteria buildup in place. Happy reefing!

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My TS-1 is rated for up to 200 gallons which is perfect for my tank. I'm not interested in selling it. I don't want the larger TS-2. It's too big for my needs but I appreciate the advice.
I would like to know Why is my water in the denitrator so milky?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to pull the Sulfur Denitrator.
I can go back to it in the future if it's needed but right now I don't think I absolutely NEED it. My nitrates have been very low and I don't believe the sulfur denitrator was even cycled yet.

I will keep a close eye on Nitrate now that it's offline.

I hope I have not taken it offline too soon. Flip side of that is, I wonder if I may have put it online too soon?
I don't WANT to take it offline but I can't deal with the bacterial bloom anymore.

This is what I was dealing with...
20200321_131613.jpg
20200321_131557.jpg

Display was CLOUDY with this dripping at 1 drop per second.

Can anyone tell me how I can keep the cycle going inside the Sulfur Denitrator while having it offline from the tank?

Does anyone see why or know a reason why i have this milky water in the denitrator?

Last edited:

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to pull the Sulfur Denitrator.
I can go back to it in the future if it's needed but right now I don't think I absolutely NEED it. My nitrates have been very low and I don't believe the sulfur denitrator was even cycled yet.

I will keep a close eye on Nitrate now that it's offline.

I hope I have not taken it offline too soon. Flip side of that is, I wonder if I may have put it online too soon?
I don't WANT to take it offline but I can't deal with the bacterial bloom anymore.

This is what I was dealing with...
20200321_131613.jpg
20200321_131557.jpg

Display was CLOUDY with this dripping at 1 drop per second.

Can anyone tell me how I can keep the cycle going inside the Sulfur Denitrator while having it offline from the tank?

Does anyone see why or know a reason why i have this milky water in the denitrator?
Where is the sulfur?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to remove mine, just depends on the parameters tomorrow. I installed the sulfur denitrator and since then I have lost my JF Raja Rampage chalice, JF Chemical Reaction chalice, a BC Aquatic man table, and possibly a PC rainbow.

I should have never tried for perfection.

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from w
My TS-1 is rated for up to 200 gallons which is perfect for my tank. I'm not interested in selling it. I don't want the larger TS-2. It's too big for my needs but I appreciate the advice.
I would like to know Why is my water in the denitrator so milky?
I’ve read and heard that if you have the water exit too slow once there’s the bacteria built up it can get that milky build up look to it. I’d try to open up the valve more to maybe increase the water flow.

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to remove mine, just depends on the parameters tomorrow. I installed the sulfur denitrator and since then I have lost my JF Raja Rampage chalice, JF Chemical Reaction chalice, a BC Aquatic man table, and possibly a PC rainbow.

I should have never tried for perfection.
I don’t look at my denitrator as trying for perfection only to control the bad stuff. If this doesn’t work I’ll sell mine and just go to a Chaeto algae reactor. To help control the nitrites/nitrates. I’m not sure where the elevated nitrates are coming from I’ve got a 150 and I only have three shrimp a goby and one foxface.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t look at my denitrator as trying for perfection only to control the bad stuff. If this doesn’t work I’ll sell mine and just go to a Chaeto algae reactor. To help control the nitrites/nitrates. I’m not sure where the elevated nitrates are coming from I’ve got a 150 and I only have three shrimp a goby and one foxface.
Not trying to bad mouth it, just I decided on using it to lower my N03 and P04 from 20 ppm and .08 ppm. I ended up killing a few chalices and acros in the process. It was possibly my fault, I had it dripping roughly 3 drips a second, hard to time it, and as a result I ended up introducing nitrates into my tank causing a spike.

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to bad mouth it, just I decided on using it to lower my N03 and P04 from 20 ppm and .08 ppm. I ended up killing a few chalices and acros in the process. It was possibly my fault, I had it dripping roughly 3 drips a second, hard to time it, and as a result I ended up introducing nitrates into my tank causing a spike.
Oh yeah I know what you mean. I wasn’t trying to say you were bad mouthing them just saying maybe sell it if not working for you. We all know in this hobby what might work for one tank doesn’t mean it’ll work for another. I hope you get it figured out or cleared up for what works for you! happy reefing!

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise I am not as indecisive as I appear to be in this thread.

I have re-employed my Sulfur denitrator.
I took it offline earlier today and when I ran a nitrate test this evening...
Wow! My nitrate jumped from 0 - 5ppm to 5 -10ppm.

I poured all the water out the denitrator and added fresh saltwater. I have it running WIDE open. No recirculating pump. Just the aqualifter. I will run this till tomorrow. I hope that by tomorrow the water will be running clear through the denitrator. If it's clear or "slightly" cloudy, I will run it with the recirculating pump at a slow 1 drop per second.

I will soon have my manifold up and running with my UV Sterilizer so a bacterial bloom will no longer be an issue.

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise I am not as indecisive as I appear to be in this thread.

I have re-employed my Sulfur denitrator.
I took it offline earlier today and when I ran a nitrate test this evening...
Wow! My nitrate jumped from 0 - 5ppm to 5 -10ppm.

I poured all the water out the denitrator and added fresh saltwater. I have it running WIDE open. No recirculating pump. Just the aqualifter. I will run this till tomorrow. I hope that by tomorrow the water will be running clear through the denitrator. If it's clear or "slightly" cloudy, I will run it with the recirculating pump at a slow 1 drop per second.

I will soon have my manifold up and running with my UV Sterilizer so a bacterial bloom will no longer be an issue.
Sounds like a great plan. I hope it all works out for you. I was also thinking of getting a good UV sterilizer to help with algae and bacteria. My tank had a couple bad issues of Cyanobacteria awhile back that caused me huge headaches lol.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV sterilizers are great as long as you have one that is truly rated for your tank and installed properly with the correct flow.

I have the Pentair Smart 40w UV. Very pricey but it actually works.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back