AquaMaxx Sulfur Denitrator TS-1

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV sterilizers are great as long as you have one that is truly rated for your tank and installed properly with the correct flow.

I have the Pentair Smart 40w UV. Very pricey but it actually works.
How much are they, what is it rated up to? I have a 150 gallon with sump would it work for that? As we’ve all found out this is not a cheap hobby so I learned awhile ago not to focus on cost of things lol.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are they, what is it rated up to? I have a 150 gallon with sump would it work for that? As we’ve all found out this is not a cheap hobby so I learned awhile ago not to focus on cost of things lol.

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link! Wow those are super spendy! That price I think a algae reactor would be better for what I’m looking for lol.

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the AquaMaxx TS-2 11 days ago, looking forward to seeing the results. Thanks for all the posts on your progress. Did you have any difficulty reducing the drip rate to 3 drops per second?

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my ts-2 for about three months now. It’s only been up for a little over a month though since the sulfur was no where to be found. It is something about these that is annoying that’s of course not mentioned. The only place I’ve read that sells it for this grade of stuff is out of Singapore if I remember right. I had to get on the BRS waiting list once they got it in which was a pain.
It is a bit challenging to get the drip rate just right but once it’s dialed in and all the air bubbles get out of the sulfur it’s pretty sweet. I went with an adjustable pump instead of the little Toms pump and it works perfectly. At the time I got mine those Toms were harder to find than gold in a river and it was ridiculously frustrating having two key components not readily available. So I went the route of a different pump and I’m glad I did. I do wish they told you how many things of sulfur to buy To fill it specially since it comes and goes in stores quickly. I got two and should have got 4, one as a back up three to fill the reactor.
All in all I’m pretty happy with it and once it’s done building up bacteria I hope it works as I hope.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been a few threads about the general lack of availability of sulfur media now that the CaribSea LSM is discontinued. Fortunately there’s very little unique about it and sulfur prills used in gardening are the same thing. You can buy them on amazon (with 2 week shipping :().

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been a few threads about the general lack of availability of sulfur media now that the CaribSea LSM is discontinued. Fortunately there’s very little unique about it and sulfur prills used in gardening are the same thing. You can buy them on amazon (with 2 week shipping :().
Yep I bought those but they are so much lighter than the normal ones that they trapped air bubbles and caused half of the sulfur to split trapping more bubbles. I ended up mixing them with the bigger round ones and that helped.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that problem with the caribsea stuff also .... have to pack it in pretty tightly.

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my ts-2 for about three months now. It’s only been up for a little over a month though since the sulfur was no where to be found. It is something about these that is annoying that’s of course not mentioned. The only place I’ve read that sells it for this grade of stuff is out of Singapore if I remember right. I had to get on the BRS waiting list once they got it in which was a pain.
It is a bit challenging to get the drip rate just right but once it’s dialed in and all the air bubbles get out of the sulfur it’s pretty sweet. I went with an adjustable pump instead of the little Toms pump and it works perfectly. At the time I got mine those Toms were harder to find than gold in a river and it was ridiculously frustrating having two key components not readily available. So I went the route of a different pump and I’m glad I did. I do wish they told you how many things of sulfur to buy To fill it specially since it comes and goes in stores quickly. I got two and should have got 4, one as a back up three to fill the reactor.
All in all I’m pretty happy with it and once it’s done building up bacteria I hope it works as I hope.

This is what I bought, like you I didn't know how much to purchase. I bought 8lbs (2 4lb bags) and thought I would have extra, I didn't I used all 8lbs. This stuff on rates at 99% not 99.9%.

What pump did you use? I tend to used the recommended equipment for situations I am not familiar with. I have the control valve on the TS-2 down as tight as I can get and I think its still too fast. I am considering buying a standard 1/4" valve at Lowe's on my next trip to slow it down more.

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I bought those but they are so much lighter than the normal ones that they trapped air bubbles and caused half of the sulfur to split trapping more bubbles. I ended up mixing them with the bigger round ones and that helped.
I had mine next day, so far everything looks good, just waiting to cycle.

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I bought, like you I didn't know how much to purchase. I bought 8lbs (2 4lb bags) and thought I would have extra, I didn't I used all 8lbs. This stuff on rates at 99% not 99.9%.

What pump did you use? I tend to used the recommended equipment for situations I am not familiar with. I have the control valve on the TS-2 down as tight as I can get and I think its still too fast. I am considering buying a standard 1/4" valve at Lowe's on my next trip to slow it down more.

Yep I used that same sulfur. It is so much lighter than the bigger round ones half of the stuff separated inside the reactor collecting bubbles so mine wouldn’t prime 100% which wouldn’t allow the bacteria to build up properly. I had to pull it all out once I got my order from BRS and then used some to mix with the big stuff to fill it more, but I’m still short the ts-2 has a big reactor. I could probably use another two containers of it. I’ll have to order more once they get it back in yet again. I used this pump in the pic from Amazon. Under $12 and it’s a great adjustable little pump.

D8F1092A-7A68-4B30-90C0-EEBAF876FD4B.png

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine next day, so far everything looks good, just waiting to cycle.
Keep an eye on the sulfur beads. It took mine about two weeks for the bubbles to build up that caused half of them to separate half way down about an inch gap. If you see that you might have to pull the top off and repack them or careful rock it back and forth to get the bubbles to exit the top.

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I added that pump to my cart for future reference. I think I have one of those pumps in a box in the garage form an old ATO setup that I hadn't used. That could have saved me $39.99 if I hadn't purchased the aqualifter ;)

NVCyberPro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I couldn't find the media used on the Marine Depot Video either so I used Nature's Ocean Premium Aragonite Reactor Media. I hope that was a good choice and I wish I would have found this thread earlier, full of helpful information.

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I added that pump to my cart for future reference. I think I have one of those pumps in a box in the garage form an old ATO setup that I hadn't used. That could have saved me $39.99 if I hadn't purchased the aqualifter ;)
Anytime! Yeah I got lucky I guess the Toms sold out everywhere lol. It saved me about $20, money towards a fish or coral

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I couldn't find the media used on the Marine Depot Video either so I used Nature's Ocean Premium Aragonite Reactor Media. I hope that was a good choice and I wish I would have found this thread earlier, full of helpful information.

Yeah I used similar product. I’m an OCD investigator so I do a ton of research and looking before I buy for that reason. It’s kind of annoying, but I feel in this hobby with the cost of everything I might as well get the best of what I need/want instead of replacing or repairing later down the road.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think that if Marine Depot is selling the item, they should have the media for said reactor....

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think that if Marine Depot is selling the item, they should have the media for said reactor....
Yep 100% agree. It’s super frustrating getting something from them or anywhere for that matter and you can’t get the stuff required to even use it. Take Apex stuff, for the longest time I couldn’t find a freakin temp probe ANYWHERE. I had to reach out to Neptune system personally to get them to sell me one through them directly.

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are good unless they are used in a wet/dry setup. Then they are nitrate factories.
Can you elaborate on that? I use the ceramic balls in my wet/dry sump.. and i'm currently fighting very high nitrates

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on that? I use the ceramic balls in my wet/dry sump.. and i'm currently fighting very high nitrates
It's been my experience that using them in a wet/dry type of sump, there is little to no anaerobic bacteria in these situations. Which means more Aerobic bacteria vs Anaerobic and therefore less NO3 to nitrogen gas conversion equaling high NO3.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back