• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

AquaMaxx WS-1 In-Sump Protein Skimmer

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just washed and cleaned out the AquaMaxx WS-1 protein skimmer that I used in my old tanks, Red Sea Max 130D. It fitted in the back chamber of the RSM 130D perfectly, so may fit other nano tanks. Rated for 30G(heavy bioload) to 65G(light bioload) tanks. This one is not the hang-on-back version. It goes in the sump or back chamber of nano tanks. Worked great for me and is very highly rated. Used it for 6 months before upgrading to my current tank. I bought it new for $159 + tax last year.

Here are the full specs:

• Footprint : L 5.9" x W 3.2"
  • Height: 14" (excluding collection up)
  • Collection Cup Height: 5.5"
  • Recommended Water Level: 8"-10"
  • Pump(included): Sicce Syncra 1.5
  • Filtration Rating: up to 65 gallons (light bioload) or 30 Gallons (heavy bioload)
  • Requires approximately 5.5" of clearance to remove collection cup.

Price is $110 shipped. $100 for local pick-up in Northern VA.

IMG_20191013_205551.jpg
IMG_20191013_205515.jpg
IMG_20191013_205415.jpg
IMG_20191013_204838.jpg

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the bump. It pulled out a lot of junk in my Red Sea Max 130D.

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI JJKK - I'm hoping you can help answer a question for me regarding this skimmer. I'm sure it's long gone now. :) I'm actually planning on buying a new one for my Red Sea 130 (same size as the 130D), and was wondering, how you put this in the back of your tank. Did you just pull out the stock skimmer and place this in the back compartment, sitting all the way down in the back compartment, or did you need to put something under it to hold it up to a certain height? Thanks so much for your help in advance.

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello SeahawkMom,

Former Ravenna residence here. I actually had to rebuy a new one of this when my main tank had issue and I set the RSM 130D back up as a side tank about 6 months ago. I still have it running.

This skimmer fits snuggly(front to back) in the back chamber of the RSM130D, after the stock skimmer is removed. I run an InTank Media Basket and it sits right next to it, top the left of the media basket. The proper water level does not allow the skimmer to sit all the way down(and probably too tight to push it all the way down). There is enough friction to hold it where you want it for proper water level. I do use an old Flipper Nano scraper on the left side of the skimmer to make sure it doesn't slowly tilt down. Let me know if you need me to take any pictures.

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! This is super helpful. The WS-1 is sold out everywhere right now, but I’m hoping to get one when it comes available. I also have the inTank media stand and like it and use the Tunze 9001, but am not impressed with the amount of skim it pulls out and how finicky it is after 3 months. I understand the AquaMaxx fit is tight enough it won’t push all the way down and it’ll stay at the right depth where I push it down too. That’s good to know. Could you send me photos of the flipper magnet set up you mention? I’m not sure I understand
How you have that part set up so it doesn’t tilt over. Much appreciated!

Hecdr34

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you so much! This is super helpful. The WS-1 is sold out everywhere right now, but I’m hoping to get one when it comes available. I also have the inTank media stand and like it and use the Tunze 9001, but am not impressed with the amount of skim it pulls out and how finicky it is after 3 months. I understand the AquaMaxx fit is tight enough it won’t push all the way down and it’ll stay at the right depth where I push it down too. That’s good to know. Could you send me photos of the flipper magnet set up you mention? I’m not sure I understand
How you have that part set up so it doesn’t tilt over. Much appreciated!

Look at this on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/AquaMaxx-W...-/184728640707?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get mine on eBay as well. Here is a quick video showing the setup. Hopefully it will clear that I use a Flipper scraper to kind of make sure that the skimmer don't slowly fall down on the left side. The right side is against the InTank Media Basket, so no issue with it rotating right. Sorry for the dirty setup. It is a side tank for quarantining corals.

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! This is really helpful. I totally see what you mean by using the Flipper to block the unit from tipping left. Very clever! I was thinking to set it up turned around so the output pours out the left and push the unit deeper into the water so the output was below the surface, but making sure the air intake is still above the water. It’s okay if the collection over flow goes back into the water. Did you try putting it in facing that direction? I want it low enough to close my hood. :)

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome. I remember my first one, I had the unit lower than what I have now. Since this is in the basement fishroom, I don't really care about the aesthetics. I didn't try to flip it because I wanted the right side flushed against the InTank Media Basket. But I don't see why you couldn't, assuming there is not too much flow restrictions on the skimmer pump intake.

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I find one, I can play with it. based on the measurements, I think there should be room in that chamber to flip it, and slide it over to left so there's enough room to allow the pump intake and output the the water towards the return chamber. I'll see if I need to put a glass jar under it to hold it up, or if it's tight enough that it'll stay put without sliding down. This was so super helpful. I really appreciate your time and responses.

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome. Hope it skims the crap out of your tank :)!

Keep us posted.

ahm12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem. I have tunze 9002. Its crap. I want a clean look. I was thinking i should aquamaxx nf1

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem. I have tunze 9002. Its crap. I want a clean look. I was thinking i should aquamaxx nf1
I looked at that one too, but my tank is 34 gallons, so I don't think it'll be strong enough. I currently have 7 fish, and am expecting to buy 2 more small fish, so want to be able to support the bioload. AquaMaxx seems pretty wiped out right now, most models are sold out everywhere.

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found one available at InTank.com! They only had the one and are out of stock again after I purchased it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back