AquaRaider44's Lifegard Aquatics 3.8-Gallon Pico Reef Challenge

Snorlax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Designed and 3D printed an adapter to 1/4 inch loc line which works great and was sent to @Vivid Creative Aquatics for the community to benefit from soon.

I also added 100ml of matrix by seachem, a cycled sponge from my tank, a filter pad all in the 3d printed media basket.

1564446856354.png

I added one single onyx clownfish to cycle the system as well as one Nuclear Green Paly frag from my tank.

Mind sharing the file for this along with the RFG adapter?

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing this!

I'm working on a build with the 7.4g side filter tank, and the RFG adapter and media basket you printed are exactly what I need! I noticed that @Vivid Creative Aquatics has still not posted the adapter on their website though :(. Any chance I could pay you to print one for me?

As for the media basket, I'd happily pay to get that printed too, but my chamber is probably not the same size as yours? One thing I noticed is that the lower "overflow" doesn't seem to screw in or otherwise fasten to the back... I assumed that the provided foam block would help to hold it in place, but am wondering how that works with the basket... Thanks again @AquaRaider44!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Designed and 3D printed an adapter to 1/4 inch loc line which works great and was sent to @Vivid Creative Aquatics for the community to benefit from soon.
1564446559585.png

I also installed the new sicce pump and Random Flow Generator from @Vivid Creative Aquatics and now have the best most random flow on the aquarium. I may have gone overkill as it is a 44x turn over with the 110 GPH pump on a 2.5 actual gallon of water tank not to mention the additional flow the REG draws in from the eductors in the back.

1564446524303.png

I also added 100ml of matrix by seachem, a cycled sponge from my tank, a filter pad all in the 3d printed media basket.

1564446856354.png

I added one single onyx clownfish to cycle the system as well as one Nuclear Green Paly frag from my tank.

I must have dropped the ball here - i don't remember receiving this file. If you want to resend it - I'll be happy to take a look and print off a supply of them.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to see an update of this. I think what I have seen so far. Also great job on the adapter,hopefully you were able to get that adapter sent over to VCA and they can do something with them.

What is the measurements of the false wall area !?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys - i went digging through my email and actually came up with the files that were sent to me a while ago. Totally my fault.

In any case i got it and im in the process if getting this adapter re-drawn in fusion360.

20200809_161134-1.jpg

20200809_161145-1.jpg

I'm thinking of do this adapter with both a 1/4in and a 1/2in ball connector.

However, I think the stock fitting that comes with these tanks may be 1/2in Loc-line compatible. I need to confirm this. If anyone has one of these tanks, can you post a photo of the stock fitting with just the ball connector?

I should have a workable part for the 1/4in adater by Tuesday of this week. So if you want one for just the cost of shipping, let me know.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After heading to your site I saw you have a 1/2" nipple that threads into a threaded1/2" bulkhead and a 1/4 end for your rfg's which is PERFECT.
Perfect - glad you found what you where looking for.

You can build some pretty good flow setups for really small tanks with these 1/4in Loc-Line parts and the small 1/4in RFG - you can even create a mini dual nozzle kit using our 1/4in RFGs :-D

20200817_161147.jpg

given enough supply flow (80 to 140GPH), you can actulyl flow tanks as large as 10-gallons with these small Random Flow Generator® Nozzles.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! please keep me posted as to how it works out for you. if you have any questions, don't hesitate tot ask.

The only question I have is,would you recommend the Sicce Micraplus (158gph) with this for a 2g pico/frag tank ?

Also,please forgive me if you answered this already but are thr adapters for the LGA tanks on the site ? I really debating getting one and obviously the stock nozzle will not cut it.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool little tank!

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the tank and light today.

The tank is super nice and fits prefictly where I wanted it however upon arrival the back had 2 scratches of about 3/4-1 inch long and pretty deep. The back divider in the filter compartment also had a chip missing. I decided not to complain as it had no scratches on panels for viewing and it wasn't amazon's fault. I may try to complain to the seller directly.
1564199847797.png
1564199855157.png

I filled it with water and immediately realized the pump was super weak. I checked out the tubing and found a restrictor plate inside of the fitting going into the pump. I removed this fitting and used one of my own and it was faster but still slow. I let it pump into a 1-gallon bucket and it showed 72GPH even though the pump was rated for 84GPH.

I purchased a new Sicce Syncra Nano pump which should do 110GPH.

I also bought a floating algae scraper with a blade as it is evident that I will not be putting my hand in the tank ever as I have very large hands like as large as the side of the aquarium lol.

I purchased rocks exactly 3.8 pounds by accident. and then I decided to use 3.8 pounds of sand as well.

1564200219167.png

1564200243123.png

The Fluval light seems nice and bring however the arm is not long enough to hang from the back as well as how hot this beast gets. I ran it for an hour and saw 130+ temps on the top of it. Not sure about the safety of that. The heat on the bottom of the light is so hot that at the minimum distance to the tank it heated the water severally.

Light with white off and all other channels max is mostly blue with a hint of pink or purple but the camera screwed it up.
1564200664304.png

Unfortunately, the lock line is absolutely not even close to the standard 1/2 inch so I guess I will be 3d printing some sort of adapter as I need to get to 1/4 inch from whatever this is...

I also need to 3d print an in-tank media basket knockoff :D

Tank with water to max capacity after rock and sand is 2.5 Gallons :D pico FTW. Glad I didn't go any smaller.
What is the spacing like in the return chamber for aftermarket pumps ? Mainly jusy concerned about L x W.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only question I have is,would you recommend the Sicce Micraplus (158gph) with this for a 2g pico/frag tank ?

Also,please forgive me if you answered this already but are thr adapters for the LGA tanks on the site ? I really debating getting one and obviously the stock nozzle will not cut it.
Sem sliek 158 might be a bit much for the 2-gallon , but if youre goign for mini-mixed reef, it might be just the right flow with the RFG nozzle.

the adapter is not on the site yet, but if tyou need one, just let me know. Send me a PM and we'll get you hooked up.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sem sliek 158 might be a bit much for the 2-gallon , but if youre goign for mini-mixed reef, it might be just the right flow with the RFG nozzle.

the adapter is not on the site yet, but if tyou need one, just let me know. Send me a PM and we'll get you hooked up.

Just a hair,but flow can be adjusted.

Okay,I will let you know,I am trying to figure out what tank I want and the options to go along with it.

As for that adapter for the 1/4" RFG,I need to source a 1/2" x 1/4" reducer bushing to make it work for my 1/2" bulkhead.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...As for that adapter for the 1/4" RFG,I need to source a 1/2" x 1/4" reducer bushing to make it work for my 1/2" bulkhead.

I found this, if your 1/2in bulkhead is threaded:

There also this piece as well, if your 1/2in bulkhead is a a slip fitting.

both of these options should thread up with the 1/4in NPT fitting for a super clean look.

Although, I have not tested either of these yet to be 100% sure they fit thread up cleanly, I have no reason to believe they wouldn't. But, I just ordered some so i can test it out and confirm it.

Last edited:

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vivid Creative Aquatics marinedepot sells the reducer bushing,so i will go that route. Unfortunately that pvcfittingsonline their shipping is expensive. Its $5 w/ shipping @ MD,$9.35 @ PVCFO.

I got the 1/4" adapter with my order,so I gonna order the bushing here shortly. Too bad I can't find a 1/4" bulkhead..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back