AquaRaider44's SC Aquariums 66-Gallon Mixed Reef Dream

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I joined R2R sooner so I could have documented the build of this tank better.

The Story
Back in March, I was searching on my local Spacecoast Craigslist when I found my dream tank. I had wanted a larger reef tank that was larger than my Red Sea Max 130D (34 Gallon), had Starfire glass, had a sump, and was rimless. I came across this SC Aquariums 66-Gallon system. They had purchased it directly from the company new for around $1700 and had never set it up and it sat dry for a whole year. They did not have the skimmer (I think they used it in their old tank) which was fine as I had an old ASM Mini G skimmer to use. I ended up talking to the people and they wanted a smaller more AIO aquarium and mentioned Red Sea. I told them I had a Red Sea Max 130D and they came to look at it and we arranged an even trade and when they got the tank set up they wanted a pair of clownfish which is fine we have 30+ pairs of them which we are looking to scale down. The trade seems like it was better for me but the Red Sea Max 130D was fully upgraded with a brand new sicce pump and four 1 foot brand new TRUELUMEN PRO LED RETROFITS as well as brand new moonlights and a Random Flow Generator from @Vivid Creative Aquatics and was in perfect condition with pretty much no scratches and looked like brand new once I cleaned it up. Basically a fully running aquarium for trade for one which has no parts and needs everything.
1563977452655.png

1563977461280.png

1563977512672.png

The Build
I basically had to set everything up all at once. I timed the build as setup and trade to go as smooth as possible. I got very few pictures in this process. The one below was basically 2 days later. The ones after that are about two weeks later and you can see some new coral and fish. I also added/built new equipment.

1563977587384.png

1563977731870.png

1563977758958.png

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Info Update
I think the best way to move forward is to explain each part of the system and post some new pictures of it in its current state.

Most of the stuff I touch on is in my Reef-Pi build thread in my signature which I highly recommend to everyone!

If you haven't heard of Reef-Pi please check it out here!

Lighting
I purchased two MarsAqua 165W lights and mounted them 12 inches above the water line from brackets I made out of 2x4. I loved the color and outputs but had some issues with shadowing, spotlight and disco ball effect shimmer. I also wanted these to be controllable. I initially added the MarsAqua Control boards which @Michael Lane makes for Reef-Pi see it in my build thread for more info. I loved this and added sunrises and sunsets. I eventually pulled all of the lenses and turned up the light intensity and have much better color, blending and less shadowing. I now run these settings and the corals have exploded in color and growth.
1563978517977.png

I also added 8 strips of moonlights which are Reef-Pi Controllable and help to smooth the sunrise and sunsets for 2 hours on each side. The picture below is old and does not have lenses removed yet.
1563978645622.png

Flow
I used a Jebao DCP Sine Wave Water Return Pump (DCP-13000) for 3500 GPH of total flow at max 100% speed which seems overkill and definitely is ;):p. I plumbed this off into a 1.5 inch manifold with 4 valves to split-off to various places. I aimed to only use one dc low wattage pump to keep the heat low and use my chiller less.

1563979014251.png

Valve in the middle at the bottom of the manifold is fully open and lets all water not used at the top go to the aquarium. It is going to the aquarium in the dark green 1-inch silicone tube which fits the barbed fittings super snug and doesn't need a hose clamp. The valve on the right top goes to the algae turf scrubber. The valve on the middle top goes to the chiller than the sterilizer then the GFO and back into the second chamber of my sump. The valve on the left top goes to the dedicated de-nitrate reactor.

Flow In Display
I use two 1/2 inch Random Flow Generators which I am a huge fan of. Read more Amazing Product - Amazing Results - Enough Said. "This is the single best upgrade for any tank and for the price makes this stupid not to try!"

I also use two Jeabo SOW-4 Wave Maker Flow Pumps. Primary use is to keep detritus from collecting behind/in rocks.

Skimmer
ASM Mini G with new Sicce pump upgrade to reduce heat. The dang thing is a beast and pulls air through a 20-foot airline tube coming from outside which increased the pH dramatically. I run a filter sponge on the output to reduce bubbles as well as a sponge around the entire skimmer sump chamber to reduce bubbles even more. The sump was not designed for 3500GPH through it and pulled the skimmer bubbles amazingly quick even over two baffle sets into the display without the sponges. I have had very nice top of the line skimmers like Bubble kings and Vortechs but the ASM is still my favorite and always produces the nicest foam and most amount. I would like to get a neck scrubber and collection bucket as this is the only downfall and requires weekly cleaning for optimal performance.

Auto Top Off
I custom made a glass box myself DIY style to fit in front of my sump and have as much volume as possible for the Auto Top Off. It holds 8 gallons and the aquarium takes 0.5 gallons per day in evaporation. I use a custom flote switch controlled by Reef-Pi for my auto top off.

Doser & Solutions
Jeabo DP4S slave doser connected to Reef-Pi to control it.
BRS 2 Part
Seachem Trace
Seachem Reef Plus
1563982720609.png

Chiller
JBJ ARCTICA CHILLER 1⁄10 HP purchased locally on Craigslist for $100 works like a champ for a year now.

Sterilizer
Aqua UV Classic - 15 Watt Clarifier/Sterilizer - White Used for years and was purchased new probably 8 years ago.

Algae Turf Scrubber
I built this myself a few years back for my RSM130D works great to reduce phosphate and nitrates as well as a nice refugium for copepods. Uses cheap Chinese led lights and a mesh screen with a spay bar on.

Medias Used
De*Nitrate - Seachem - runs in an ASM reactor - 2 liters
Matrix - Seachem - runs in my sump in a bag - 2 liters
Purigen - Seachem - runs in an ASM reactor on the top level in GFO Reactor - 100 ml
Carbon - Boyd Enterprises Chemi-Pure Blue - runs in my sump in its bag on top/next to my pump cover - 1 bag
GFO - Old bulk supply from somewhere - runs in an ASM reactor - 1 Cup

Mechanical Filtration
100 micron 4x16 inch nylon bag filter on 3d printed mount

Other Equipment
Two little fishies magnet feeding ring
Two little fishies magnet algae clip
Flipper magnet scrubber
DIY black frag rack

Live Stock
Biota Aquacultured Yellow Tang
Sustainable Aquatics Aquacultured Kole Tang
Biota Aquacultured Watchman Goby
Sustainable Aquatics Aquacultured Purple Pseudochromis/Dottyback
20+ Nasusis snails
20+ Sarith Snails
20+ Astrea Snails

Food
Variety of New life spectrum algae max formula and regular formula
Rods food
Reef-Roids
BenePets Reef Food
Coral is fed twice a week or more to keep phosphates and nitrates detectable and keep corals fed :D

Feel free to ask questions!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many updates to this tank but I wanted to detail this one first.

I finally got the par meter for R2R Supporters and got to take some par measurements of my tank!

Light setup is 2 MarsAqua 165W lights with all lenses removed and modded to be controlled by ReefPi.

My current lighting schedule is 12 hours of 100% blue with 5 hours of 50% white with ramp-ups and ramp-downs.

Average par in the tank is 145 in the blue and 221 in the white & blue.

Picture below is with par values in white for blue and in red for white & blue.

1571000910093.png

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update to the tank with stock list and pic.

bttedxwe1ke41.jpg

1Six Line WrassePseudocheilinus hexataeniaCindi's Pet & Aquarium CenterWild-Caught
1Yellow TangZebrasoma flavescensBiotaCaptive-Bred
1Kole Yellow Eye TangCtenochaetus strigosusSustainable AquaticsWild-Caught
1Yellow Belly Regal Blue TangParacanthurus hepatus var.Sustainable AquaticsWild-Caught
1Lyretail AnthiasPseudanthias squamipinnisSustainable AquaticsWild-Caught
2Watchman GobyCryptocentrus cinctus var.BiotaCaptive-Bred
1Orchid DottybackPseudochromis fridmaniSustainable AquaticsCaptive-Bred
1Striped Fang BlennyMeiacanthus grammistesSustainable AquaticsCaptive-Bred
1Kamohara BlennyMeiacanthus kamoharaiSustainable AquaticsCaptive-Bred
1Blackline BlennyMeiacanthus nigrolineatusSustainable AquaticsCaptive-Bred
1Blue MandarinSynchiropus splendidusBiotaCaptive-Bred
1Midas BlennyEcsenius midasPetcoWild-Caught
1Ruby Longfin Fairy WrasseCirrhilabrus rubeusSustainable AquaticsWild-Caught
1Royal Gramma BassletGramma loretoBiotaCaptive-Bred
1Court Jester GobyKoumansetta rainfordiBiotaCaptive-Bred
1McCosker's Flasher WrasseParacheilinus mccoskeriTreasure Coast CoralsWild-Caught

Back