Aquarium Chemistry Question? Ask the Doctor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

heres the original german text:
"1ml erhöht die Nickel-Konzentration von 100ml Meerwasser um +2μg/l"

"1ml raises the nickel-concentration of 100Liter (ml is a typo I guess) seawater by 2yg/Liter"

The "ml" - thing should be a typo on eBay.de. The bottles say liter.

Yes, so it is 2 ug/L.

So the bought solution concentration is 200 ug/ml = 200,000 ng/ml.

if you want to dilute that 200,000 ng/ml to 25 ng/ml, you dilute that 1 mL into 200,000/25 = 8000 mL or 8 L.

Leonardo_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy,

First of all, thank you for your endless contributions to the hobby for the last decades. Then, my question that is a few steps to far for me to comprehend (although it's hard to admit):

I want to replace the Tropic Marin Balling B solution (alkalinity part) for Sodium Hydroxide at night, in the same volume and concentration (in dH/L) for easy adjustment.

What I know is that a Tropic Marin Balling B is a combination of Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Bicarbonate (unknown ratio). 75,6 grams of the Balling B powder per Liter makes a concentration of 2800 dH/L. How many grams of Sodium Hydroxide I have to add to one Liter to make a solution with the same concentration?

Thanks a lot,

~Leo

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy,

First of all, thank you for your endless contributions to the hobby for the last decades. Then, my question that is a few steps to far for me to comprehend (although it's hard to admit):

I want to replace the Tropic Marin Balling B solution (alkalinity part) for Sodium Hydroxide at night, in the same volume and concentration (in dH/L) for easy adjustment.

What I know is that a Tropic Marin Balling B is a combination of Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Bicarbonate (unknown ratio). 75,6 grams of the Balling B powder per Liter makes a concentration of 2800 dH/L. How many grams of Sodium Hydroxide I have to add to one Liter to make a solution with the same concentration?

Thanks a lot,

~Leo

FWIW, I give a two part recipe that many use Baling Part C with using sodium hydroxide here:

In it, I show this, and if you want it less potent, scale it down:

Add 283 grams of sodium hydroxide to 1 gallon of fresh water. It will get quite warm. Make sure it doesn't soften your container. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). BE CAREFUL WITH THIS SOLUTION: IT HAS A pH ABOVE 14. Do not get it in your eyes or on your skin.

Hassaan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley Hi Randy,
Could you please share the recipe for DIY lanthanum chloride solution from ( Lacl3 7H2o ) heptahydrate powder
to reduce PO4 in my tank.
f71a7fbd-af48-4ebf-9e1a-1bdf2660894a.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley Hi Randy,
Could you please share the recipe for DIY lanthanum chloride solution from ( Lacl3 7H2o ) heptahydrate powder
to reduce PO4 in my tank.
f71a7fbd-af48-4ebf-9e1a-1bdf2660894a.jpeg

I don't have a DIY recipe, but we can devise one. let me make a separate thread for it:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back