Aquarium Maintenance Service companies

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been tackling a 240 gallon build ( Follow along if you dare ) and I got snagged on a small detail that made me almost give up. Spoke to the boss lady and we decided to keep it going. That small detail was travel.

My work requires me to travel up to two week at a time and it makes maintaining the tank incredibly difficult. My wife certainly helps out but with a tween at home, her full time job and full time school, it’s unfair of me to expect miracles from her. So, as a solution, we decided to look into maintenance service.

I was wondering if any of you have experience with a company filling in where you can’t? what should I look for / ask for and how willing are they to do things the way I’d like them to.

Any input or advice would be appreciate

PS please follow the build as I’m desperately trying to succeed! Lol

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk with your trusted LFS. Most make a huge amount of their $$$ from the maintenance of customer tanks. Even if they don't, they should be able to help you with a name or two.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a couple of recent vacations I had my local fish store come over to feed, fill top off water and of course address any issues that might come up. I think many of them offer those services

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been tackling a 240 gallon build ( Follow along if you dare ) and I got snagged on a small detail that made me almost give up. Spoke to the boss lady and we decided to keep it going. That small detail was travel.

My work requires me to travel up to two week at a time and it makes maintaining the tank incredibly difficult. My wife certainly helps out but with a tween at home, her full time job and full time school, it’s unfair of me to expect miracles from her. So, as a solution, we decided to look into maintenance service.

I was wondering if any of you have experience with a company filling in where you can’t? what should I look for / ask for and how willing are they to do things the way I’d like them to.

Any input or advice would be appreciate

PS please follow the build as I’m desperately trying to succeed! Lol
This is a good idea for you. :)

Kyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to pay a guy to maintain my tank but he was never as good as I wished (went through 3 over 3 years). The tank always thrived in my care and struggled under theirs.

I would suggest finding a way to go low maintenance. I’m currently testing out Vibrant- so far so good. Tons more time between glass cleanings and I don’t seem to get any finicky algae. My daily routine now is feed 1-2x. I can go 2 weeks before I notice anything on my glass. Curious to see the effects of vibrant on my tank over a year

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good idea for you. :)

I think so, too. I just want to make sure I have the right person. The store that’s trusted around here and I don’t always agree on methods, not that I’m an example of great success in this hobby, so I’m a little hesitant. The sales folks also tend to be a little... snotty? Rolling their eyes occasionally when I express a concern. Having said that, their show tanks looks fantastic!

I used to pay a guy to maintain my tank but he was never as good as I wished (went through 3 over 3 years). The tank always thrived in my care and struggled under theirs.

I would suggest finding a way to go low maintenance. I’m currently testing out Vibrant- so far so good. Tons more time between glass cleanings and I don’t seem to get any finicky algae. My daily routine now is feed 1-2x. I can go 2 weeks before I notice anything on my glass. Curious to see the effects of vibrant on my tank over a year

Hmmm I’m worried a bit going the ULM direction as I believe BRS couldn’t even maintain a SPS dominant ULM tank. Not sure I can pull it off lol. I’m interested in how vibrant works out for you, though.

How much are you dosing and how often?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many stores have a maintenance service, and they generally generate more income than retail sales.
And there are often dedicated companies that do nothing but service aquariums.
Some are obviously going to be better than others.
And none will know or treat your aquarium as well as you do yourself.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so, too. I just want to make sure I have the right person. The store that’s trusted around here and I don’t always agree on methods, not that I’m an example of great success in this hobby, so I’m a little hesitant. The sales folks also tend to be a little... snotty? Rolling their eyes occasionally when I express a concern. Having said that, their show tanks looks fantastic!

Hmmm I’m worried a bit going the ULM direction as I believe BRS couldn’t even maintain a SPS dominant ULM tank. Not sure I can pull it off lol. I’m interested in how vibrant works out for you, though.

How much are you dosing and how often?
I do not think I would trust that store then.

TheIcon42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I work as a maintenance tech in Northern VA, I would suggest talking to your lfs to see if they offer a service. As far as what they are willing to do for you depends on what you want and what you are willing to pay. We do everything from installs and break downs to regular maintenance and then some. Certain clients just want me to do an algae scrub and water change because they enjoy doing the rest, some want us to monitor every single thing and make adjustments for them or give them advice and some just say here’s my money make everything look good. My point is generally everything can be adjusted to suit your needs. My only real advice would be to talk to the owner or the guy who runs maintenance and see if they have the knowledge you are comfortable with before moving forward. Good luck!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also - Many services will appreciate it if you have an Apex controlling your system, which will allow them to monitor and do adjustments remotely.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back