Aquarium manufacturers and recommended aquarium length

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have researched and contacted several aquarium manufacturers including Glass Cages, Custom Aquariums and Crystal Dynamic Aquariums ( CDA).Each company recommends different glass thicknesses, cross bracing and metal trimming along the top and bottom. Do you have any comments or opinions about any of these companies and the quality of their workmanship? CDA offers a five year waranty, Custom Aquariums a lifetime warranty and can’t remember what Glass cages offers.

Only Crystal Dynamic does Euro bracing without the cross bracing and recommends 1/2 inch glass front and back with 3/4 inch sides For a 96 x 30 x 26 inch tall aquarium. Have you found these cross braces get in the way when doing maintance and are they noticeable when the aquarium has an open top with no enclosed hood?

Also, I am trying to decide on a 6, 7 or 8 foot reef tank. It will be a mixed reef with quite a few fish, invertebrates and corals. I have the room for an 8 footer but that just means it will cost more to purchase, buying livestock and maintenance. I want to provide enough room for my favorite fish like a Naso tang, powder blue and other tangs to be happy together. Your thought please Thanks

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FE892CAC-296A-4F22-AE06-8F43E3E2B31A.jpeg

I ended up going with two (2) 150s from Glass Cages— braced top and bottom. I got the glass lids as well, which I think helps tremendously with evaporation.

OP
OP
Gundy

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FE892CAC-296A-4F22-AE06-8F43E3E2B31A.jpeg

I ended up going with two (2) 150s from Glass Cages— braced top and bottom. I got the glass lids as well, which I think helps tremendously with evaporation.
Is it hard to clean the glass with the bracing?

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The obvious is a Naso needs 8 foot , your question says get the most gallons you can afford..lol

OP
OP
Gundy

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my biggest decision i have to make is tank length. Other than keeping a larger Naso Tang, how do I decide on going for a 6,7 or the 8 footer. What are the advantages and challenges for going to the 6 footer vs the 8 footer?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my biggest decision i have to make is tank length. Other than keeping a larger Naso Tang, how do I decide on going for a 6,7 or the 8 footer. What are the advantages and challenges for going to the 6 footer vs the 8 footer?
The tangs will literally get massive in a 8 foot tank. I love the look of an 8 foot tank, and was going to go with a 8 footer myself, but saved a few bucks going with 6'. Personal preference really, if you think that going with 6' instead of 8' may have you wishing for more in 2 years you may want to go 8'.
A Naso can go in a 6 footer, but is more suited for a 8', but this can be said for about just about any fish.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming external factors like available floor space and available budget don't get in the way, bigger is always better as far as livestock are concerned. So when you're deciding on tank size - if an 8-foot tank seems feasible to you and you can afford it, you should just go with that. The one thing you can never change about your tank is its size; if you think you'll later want the extra two feet (I know I would), then you should just go with that to begin with.

After all, which costs less: Buying an 8' tank, or buying a 6' tank and then an 8' tank?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def go with 3/4" glass. The flow we put on our tanks with these massive wavemakers puts at lot strain on the seams and panels, I've gotten a tank from C2C and Miracle. I would recommend Miracle since they did not seem to run the bill up too high when i wanted armor seams, external overflow box, extra holes, etc.

I was considering to go with custom aquariums and would still trust them to build a solid tank. However, since they are more for Freshwater you have to be the one to tell them how thick glass you want. They also have a good bracing that is aluminum which i liked but having an external glass overflow box was main reason I went with miracle. I almost went to Planet aquariums but got annoyed when price went up from 5k to 7K in less than 1 year (pre covid). This didnt include stand, freight and taxes so Miracle was reasonable and closer to 5K range I was looking for.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have to move the tank up or down a flight of stairs, and it's a reasonably straight shot I'd go for the 8-foot tank (also second 3/4" glass). I have a 6-foot tank and the only reason I didn't go with a larger one was because even though I had room for a 7-8 foot tank - I had a tight 90° corner that required tipping the tank up vertically and then rotating it - and it was heavy enough as it is. You could always got with a pair of smaller tanks as well (giving you 8 feet combined).

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid Custom Aquariums if at all possible, I have a horror story about them and the five tanks I had them build for me. One of the most unethical companies I've ever dealt with. Glass Cages gets consistently good reviews since the management switch. I used AGE after punting Custom Aquariums to the curb, and they did a great job.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two (2) 150 gallon tanks from Glass Cages— extremely pleased. But I had Custom Aquariums on my shortlist; you make me feel like I certainly dodged a bullet. How would sum up the problem? Was it 5 different flaws, or the same basic flaw in each of 5 tanks. Just curious.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote 8' I recently picked up a 6' acrylic tank and ive been thinking "its not big enough" tanks not even setup yet!

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5’ from CDA it is well built but the process left some to be desired. 6’ and less from CDA I would be happy with 1/2” glass in reality you actually have 1” glass at the top and bottom because the way they do their bracing.
If I where to exceed 6’ I’d personally like 5/8 to 3/4.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two (2) 150 gallon tanks from Glass Cages— extremely pleased. But I had Custom Aquariums on my shortlist; you make me feel like I certainly dodged a bullet. How would sum up the problem? Was it 5 different flaws, or the same basic flaw in each of 5 tanks. Just curious.
Long sordid story - main 400g tank showed up damaged - mis-crated clearly. The stand, which was crated on top of the tank, had come loose, smashing through the plywood and bounced around on the display tank underneath for who knows how many hundreds of miles (shipped about 2,000 miles). Then they expected me to pay an extra $1,000 for movers regardless, they tried to force me to take the damaged stand, without me accepting it they wouldn't remake the tank. Tank had unpolished edges which they lied about - saying it was "normal." Their only guiding principle was how to save money, not the safety of the tank- two tons of glass, water and rock - that I would be putting in my living room with my family. Basically they were great to deal with right up to the point things went wrong - and you really don't get to know a company or its people when everything is going right. It's how they deal with problems and how they take responsibility that really shows their character. Lies, excuses, attitude - they even admitted they changed their crating techniques based on this shipment, but didn't admit they did anything wrong. I've never flamed a manufacturer before - this hobby brings me so much joy I try to keep it positive, but I make an exception for Custom Aquariums - they are awful. No ethics. And I wouldn't wish my experience on any of my fellow reefers, which is why I post about it. Lots of better manufacturers that will treat you like you deserve, and make good if they screw up.

Attachments

• marks.jpg
    marks.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 66

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically they were great to deal with right up to the point things went wrong - and you really don't get to know a company or its people when everything is going right. It's how they deal with problems and how they take responsibility that really shows their character.

I would have to agree with this.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a Tankme USA?
I have a 63” x 30” x 35” . It’s is 3/4” glass with 5” eurobracing. The tank is a piece of art.

Asked Gaston to make the stand shorter to make couch viewing easier...which causes difficulty when working in the sump.

Because I was afraid to plumb it myself, hired a “plumber” to assist. Plumber couldn’t get the tank to stop leaking, I called Gaston. He listened to my dilemma.
Gaston said, “I will be there tomorrow!” He drove 3hrs on Saturday to fix the bulkhead issue.

Not only is the tank stunning, but customer service is top notch. If there ever is another tank for me, no question it’ll be a Tankme.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rimless Aquarium does not have Euro-Bracing, when I clean the glass, it always seems I get some over splash, no matter how careful I am.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I am trying to decide on a 6, 7 or 8 foot reef tank. It will be a mixed reef with quite a few fish, invertebrates and corals. I have the room for an 8 footer but that just means it will cost more to purchase, buying livestock and maintenance. I want to provide enough room for my favorite fish like a Naso tang, powder blue and other tangs to be happy together. Your thought please Thanks
I know I'm late here, but I have some thoughts.

6, 7, or 8 foot there are a bunch of things to consider. Livestock is one of them, as mentioned. The smallest tangs in the genus Naso (lipstick and blonde Naso) should have an 8 footer long term. Also mentioned was how it fits in the room.

Equipment: Lighting and flow is something to consider here. People don't realize how challenging this becomes on bigger tanks. 8 feet means that powerheads don't reach from one end to the other. Placing them on the back glass is an option, but takes planning and is a pain to service. Lighting becomes sets of lights. The biggest T5 fixtures are only 5 foot long, or you're looking at 4 large MH reflectors. 30" wide reef is tough for LEDs, as you need rows of LEDs, and at 8 feet and 2 rows you're talking a ton of fixtures. What are your plans for lighting and flow?

As for glass thickness and bracing: it all depends on how big you are going and what type of bracing. An 8 foot tank with no cross braces makes me really nervous. I would Eurobrace and do as thick of glass as you can afford. If the tank has a frame with cross braces, like the old standard All-Glass and others, then it will have a good frame with 3 cross braces and you could go with 1/2"-5/8ths" thick. Notice the bracing on JumboShrimp's tank. That's not the same, as the frame doesn't go all the way around so it really isn't holding the front and back panels together, for example, so Eurobracing and thicker glass is a good idea here.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back