Aquarium microscopy findings (vids + pics). Pls identify..

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the videos:

#1 is probably a copepodite, but could be a rotifer
#2 Is similar to Vorticella - usually found in freshwater, but sometimes marine
#3 possible ciliate (Euplotes?)
#4 Copepodite? Larval copepod.
#5 IDK

Jay
Wouldn't #3 be a flagellate? Being that is has 2 flagella?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't #3 be a flagellate? Being that is has 2 flagella?
Yes - that is a flagellate - I couldn't see the flagella in the video, but I watched it to the end, and you can see it moving left to right and suddenly it sort of gets stuck on something - that's the flagella stuck to the bit of detritus behind it.

Jay

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Sun, Sept 12th

1. (Tentacle thing in middle) Didn't seem to move.
IMG_20210912_191105553~2.jpg

2. (Big spikey thing) I might have saw movement on very far ends.
IMG_20210912_191936154~2.jpg

3. (Circle thing) (Was moving, see video)
IMG_20210912_193755885~2.jpg

3(a).

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Mon, Sept 13th

This was some white stuff off my power head. Tank is really cloudy.
what the heck?
IMG_20210913_132054873~2.jpg

Video of worm below @ 400x:

This is what I took a sample of:
IMG_20210913_135142068.jpg

This is how cloudy my tank looks from the side:
IMG_20210913_121630688.jpg

Guessing a diatom explosion somehow.

Ammonia: Undetectable
Nitrate: 5ppm

- This tank has been fallowing for about 1.5 weeks at around 81.5 - 82 degrees F.

- added a 1/4 of a bottle of biospira to this display tank because it was left over from seeding my qt. Thought it wouldn't hurt.

- Uv broke just before fallow.

- No water changes since the start of fallow.

- Only feed my 1 Coral.Banded shrimp about every 3 days in my DT.

- Have 1 CBS and 10 Cerith snails in the DT.

@Jay Hemdal @DrZoidburg @vetteguy53081

I appreciate your help, thank you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wire algae
Time to soak powerhead or at least cage for impeller
Makes sense as it’s right under the light

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SaltwaterGuruNeeded How old is your tank again?

Did you dose any carbon/Nopox?

If you didn’t dose anything. Seems like a bacterial bloom. Normal in new tanks. UV sterilizer not needed. It will clear up on it’s own. You’d tank looks young. You’ll have many different stages of life starting soon.

Usually Cyanobacteria, then diatoms, then hair algae. All natural and VERY beneficial. Your tank will soon have a stable ecosystem!

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top right on question mark in picture almost looks like a insoluble salt crystal. The circled thing definitely some sort of nematode/trematode. Just below question mark on right that does look like some sort of silica based diatom. The elongated football shaped ones. All the rest is to cluttered to say.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Important to realize though not all of these nematodes are a problem. This one looks like maybe a harmless one just eating micro detritus. You can see his guts are filled with it.

Edit: the tentacle looking thing could be a mycobacteria, or mycelium strands of some sort. The big spiky thing looks maybe a sort of worm larvae swam by.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SaltwaterGuruNeeded How old is your tank again?

Did you dose any carbon/Nopox?

If you didn’t dose anything. Seems like a bacterial bloom. Normal in new tanks. UV sterilizer not needed. It will clear up on it’s own. You’d tank looks young. You’ll have many different stages of life starting soon.

Usually Cyanobacteria, then diatoms, then hair algae. All natural and VERY beneficial. Your tank will soon have a stable ecosystem!
4-5 months. Nothing dosed. Had a dino outbreak a little while ago. Small cell amphidinium dinoflagellates. But they cleared up.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your replies!
The nematode is almost assuredly free-living, I only seen parasitic ones during necropsy or in poop after medicating fish.

Re; the possible salt crystals - could there have been some reaction that precipitated some component of the salt like calcium? That would account for the white cloudy water and the presence of crystals. I've only seen that when mixing saturated brine solutions, but you aren't dosing with purple up or something? Just speculating here.....

Jay

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nematode is almost assuredly free-living, I only seen parasitic ones during necropsy or in poop after medicating fish.

Re; the possible salt crystals - could there have been some reaction that precipitated some component of the salt like calcium? That would account for the white cloudy water and the presence of crystals. I've only seen that when mixing saturated brine solutions, but you aren't dosing with purple up or something? Just speculating here.....

Jay
I had a feeling it was calcium sulfate or phosphate crystals. Looks a lot like some gypsum crystal forms, also some phosphates. Can only really see these in2D. It could be a number of insolubles that have look alike crystal forms. Yes it can happen in a chemical reaction mixing salts. I doubt it would make the hole tank that foggy though. Just starting randomly on a already set up tank that is. If one had actually mixed fresh water in tank could possibly see these in places. It would eventually settle/filter out.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
No, just the biospira I mentioned.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a link to my cloudy fallowing tank thread. It's just getting worse. Like way worse.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found some Blue Algae? Possibly hair algae?

IMG_20210917_153402035~2.jpg

This is from the skimmer I am collecting from my bacterial bloom. This stuff is really disgusting! I'm hoping this is bacteria and not dust from cover slip.

IMG_20210917_154829941~2.jpg

IMG_20210917_154847609~2.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once found some odd colored strands in a sample - turned out to be fabric from somebody's clothes (grin).

Jay
Lol I thought the same thing. But I wasn't wearing blue! I was wearing all grey! Well...It's definitely possible that it's a strand of clothing. But it seems my coralline is loving the bacterial bloom.

Back