Aquarium on carpet?

Dubin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than maybe ruining the carpet around/under the tank, can an aquarium be set up on carpet? Is there anything that I'd need to worry about, maybe some precautions that I can take?

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I had carpet, I cut out the measurement of my tank's stand, then when I moved it I put the cut out back into place and looks like new.

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my tank on the carpet. As soon as I can afford a bigger tank, I will be ripping out the carpet and replacing with tile. I'd never put a tank on carpet ever again. the saltwater makes the carpet get hard from the salt staying in the carpet when you spill.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had aquariums on carpet in the past without any problems.

Just be careful with your spills, etc.

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think hes worried about the crushed carpet when/if he decides move or upgrade/downgrade tanks.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 125 on carpet and 3 years later, when I moved the tank the shape of stand was embedded in the carpet and pad. It was still there when the carpet was pulled up and replaced two years after that.

Mariner

NARC Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you'll almost definitely have permanently crushed carpet if you ever move the aquarium -- at least that was my experience. But I've got two sitting on carpet now.
Mariner

OP
OP
Dubin

Dubin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was more worried about the tank/stand than crushed carpet, but really any problems that people have run into.

Zegg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you leave room from the wall because of carpet tack strips, had my tank perfectly leveled, and after 2 months everything settled, from left to right was still okay but from front to back was horrible. Waterline in front, 3/8" from the top(rimless tank) and back nearly 1 inch from the top. had to nearly drain the tank to move it 1 more inch from the wall. now after months eveythign is perfect.

OP
OP
Dubin

Dubin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sucks. I would hate to have to drain a tank just to move it an inch or two. Thanks for the tip.

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was on carpet. My apartment flooded once and I did not move it to let it dry properly- big mistake. There was a rectangular wood stained area when I moved 1 year later. I moved and put it back on carpet, but this time put a few folded up sheets under it (couldn't come up with anything else). That worked. No stains, and the carpet looked alot cleaner than the surrounding carpet. It also helped that the carpet was extremely short and did not leave an imprint.

lulu465

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to have a stand supporting a fishtank, or can you just leave it sitting bare on the carpet?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back