Aquarium placement in house with dogs

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

My wife and I are looking for the final destination for our 40 gallon breeder tank. I’m really wanting to put it in our living room, but she has a German Shorthaired Pointer and it can be a little hyper. This might be more of a question for a physicist, I’m not sure, but if an approximately 60 pound dog happens to jump up and put its front paws on the aquarium, will it knock the aquarium off the stand, which is the said 40 g breeder above? I also need to mention that the stand is an Aqueon pine stand. The aquarium is literally supported by a lip that’s between .5 and 1 inch wide. Thoughts? I might just convince my wife to keep him outside like I’ve been wanting to a while, haha.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you should get some sort of brace or rear anchor for the tank. I think it's going to be unrealistic to keep your dog outside 24/7, and if there's concerns he'll jump up on it with his paws, you should take precautions.

Personally, my two dogs (70 and 75lbs) couldn't care less about my aquariums.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The width of the lip around the edge won't matter ... the tank could even be flush with the edge (leaving no lip). That 65lb dog won't 'push' the tank off of the stand. Like Lost in the Sauce said, the tanks is too heavy to slide or move...

The real concern is the stability of the stand. If the stand sways or racks back and forth when you nudge it ... you'll either need to add more braces to it, or get a sturdier stand.

Kind of like a car sitting on a dining room table. No way one person could 'slide' that car off the table. But, if it's a shaky table, the person only has to rock the table back and forth a bit to cause to tip or collapse.

If the stand is shaky and you're worried, one solution could be brackets or straps that are used to secure tall bookshelves. They screw into a wall stud and into the back of the bookshelf so that the shelf won't tip over if bumped.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

My wife and I are looking for the final destination for our 40 gallon breeder tank. I’m really wanting to put it in our living room, but she has a German Shorthaired Pointer and it can be a little hyper. This might be more of a question for a physicist, I’m not sure, but if an approximately 60 pound dog happens to jump up and put its front paws on the aquarium, will it knock the aquarium off the stand, which is the said 40 g breeder above? I also need to mention that the stand is an Aqueon pine stand. The aquarium is literally supported by a lip that’s between .5 and 1 inch wide. Thoughts? I might just convince my wife to keep him outside like I’ve been wanting to a while, haha.
I don’t know if the dog can knock the tank over, but keeping your dog outside is cruel and you should find another home for it if that’s your plan.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the stand is solid then you can’t push it over.

I would just do some obedience with the dog :) Dogs love learning and getting praise and treats.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 90lb severe ADHD patient hasn't hit any of my stuff hard enough to knock it over yet, I'm sure you will be fine.

20210203_201454.jpg

Kevinjoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a husky who is worried about anything and everything but the reef tank.

OP
OP
D

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the stand. It’s brand new. It’s pretty obvious it isn’t made from some artisan out of Mahogany, but it’s not too flimsy. It’s 28 inches tall and 18 and 3/4 inches wide at the base. Also attached is a shot of it with the tank on it. I don’t think that one helps out much, but it’s one I already had.

Attachments

• F9D5C085-9B7E-4F49-982F-B61EB6DDB393.jpeg
    F9D5C085-9B7E-4F49-982F-B61EB6DDB393.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 7D626EDC-3AB1-4FA9-B245-55989AD949E5.jpeg
    7D626EDC-3AB1-4FA9-B245-55989AD949E5.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
D

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if the dog can knock the tank over, but keeping your dog outside is cruel and you should find another home for it if that’s your plan.
What’s cruel about keeping a dog outside in a nice fenced in yard in rural SC? Cruel is keeping an active hunting dog inside all the time. It rarely even gets below freezing down here.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s cruel about keeping a dog outside in a nice fenced in yard in rural SC? Cruel is keeping an active hunting dog inside all the time. It rarely even gets below freezing down here.
Who said anything about keeping active hunting dogs inside all the time? And it is absolutely cruel to leave a dog permanently outside, unless you provide a heated/cooled shelter. But even it’s physical need for shelter accommodated, it’s still cruel. Dogs have evolved over the last 10k years to be part of the human family, they are social animals, and the need for human interaction is literally in their DNA. So to keep one outside, sequestered from the family/owner can lead to anxiety, behavior, and aggression issues. I live in the northwest, and we experience all four season here, my neighbors keep their dogs outside, and while there is a shelter, in the summer when it’s 110°, or in the winter when it’s -10°, those dogs are miserable, they are constantly crying because they are hot/cold and for attention. I have a an Australian Shepherd/Kelpie mix that is very active, I know how much time and work goes into keeping a working/sporting dog. I guess my question is, why have a dog if you don’t want it to be a part of your household.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, my blue heeler would be outside chasing birds. All day long. When she is inside with us she perches on the couch for several hours every morning and afternoon on “porch patrol”. I had two huskies that absolutely did not want to come inside because, well... outside.

Tank and stand should be fine. Unless their favorite toy ends up in the tank, I don’t even think most dogs will even notice the aquarium.

OP
OP
D

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who said anything about keeping active hunting dogs inside all the time? And it is absolutely cruel to leave a dog permanently outside, unless you provide a heated/cooled shelter. But even it’s physical need for shelter accommodated, it’s still cruel. Dogs have evolved over the last 10k years to be part of the human family, they are social animals, and the need for human interaction is literally in their DNA. So to keep one outside, sequestered from the family/owner can lead to anxiety, behavior, and aggression issues. I live in the northwest, and we experience all four season here, my neighbors keep their dogs outside, and while there is a shelter, in the summer when it’s 110°, or in the winter when it’s -10°, those dogs are miserable, they are constantly crying because they are hot/cold and for attention. I have a an Australian Shepherd/Kelpie mix that is very active, I know how much time and work goes into keeping a working/sporting dog. I guess my question is, why have a dog if you don’t want it to be a part of your household.
Honestly, my blue heeler would be outside chasing birds. All day long. When she is inside with us she perches on the couch for several hours every morning and afternoon on “porch patrol”. I had two huskies that absolutely did not want to come inside because, well... outside.

Tank and stand should be fine. Unless their favorite toy ends up in the tank, I don’t even think most dogs will even notice the aquarium.
That’s how our dog is. He’d run around the yard all day if we’d let him. And it’s funny because he’ll be pointing at random wild birds that fly in the yard. Just his instincts I guess. Anyway, I guess he’ll get to spend more time out there doing what he likes to do once I get my aquarium in.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 130 Great Dane / mastiff mix and we live in a small apartment .
She’s probably the most hyper I have ever had
She zooms around daily and never pays any attention to the aquarium
You could take action to prevent any accidents happening which I believe actually knocking the tank off the stand is unlikely .

if the stand is built sturdy enough to support the 400 lbs of water there should be no issue .

it’s unrealistic and cruel to leave a pet outside 24/7 . If it’s the dog you don’t want to welcome into your home , possibly consider rehoming him/her

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the wife’s dog - so we can pretty much guarantee that the whole “rehoming” thing isn’t going to get much traction. I’m also fairly certain that the OP is more looking for constructive suggestions on how to ensure both the dog and aquarium mesh.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the earthquake strap or other form of attachment for the stand to the wall behind it. IMHO it is not needed, but a little peace of mind goes a long way.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a non issue to me. I have a 60 lb. female chocolate lab and she is insanely hyper and has never come close to touching the tank.

In my haste in throwing her kong toy I've bounced it off the lid and sides of my peninsula tank and she's so agile and quick she never gets within a couple feet of the tank. I have to be more careful not her:D

Your pointer is even more quick twitch and faster.

If I had a bull in a china shop type dog I'd be more concerned but in your case it's not a problem.

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cattle dog has jumper on the tank before. It would rock a bit I put a block of wood at the top of the stand in the middle so it couldn’t tip back and start rocking

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back