Aquarium Stand Advice

Beachbum12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90gal drilled with overflow that I want to do Saltwater. The tank has never been used. Where do you suggest getting a good stand for it? I don't have the time or skills to build the one I would like, so were would you get a sturdy stand that can take a sump?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're you opposed to buying a factory stand? I imagine that you could find one at our have any of the LFSs order one for you. They aren't super cheap or really all that great of quality, but they work just fine. Or are you looking for a custom piece of furniture that just galena to be a fish tank stand?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want something nice and durable more furniture quality find a local woodworker. If you just want something that works(unless it gets very wet usually) the local chain petstore probably has them. Either option probably similar cost just one takes more effort.

OP
OP
B

Beachbum12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care if it comes from a LFS or online. I just want something that is gong to last and be able to hold a 90 gallon tank without looking like it may fall over at any time. Doesn't have to be custom as it is going in my finished basement, which is not fancy or anything.

GoodVybes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend talking to the folks at Wet Pets. They work with a custom stand maker that, though pricey, does really good work. I ordered both a stand and a canopy from them for my 90g salt water. They offer a ton of options to help customize your stand. For example, they offer 2-3 different wood types with oak being the top option. They allow you to pick the paint from 3-4 different colors. You can also choose the height of your stand. The standard is 30", which most pet stores carry, but I wanted extra room for my sump and because I liked the tank being a little further off the ground, so I bumped my stand up to the 36" option and couldn't be happier with the extra space. They also allow you to add some decorative options to really make it more of a centerpiece than just a stand. The canopy can also be customized, and they offer it in 10" and 15" heights to accommodate different light arrangements. If I remember correctly, each piece could run anywhere from $300 - $600+ depending on your options.

IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_1938.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend talking to the folks at Wet Pets. They work with a custom stand maker that, though pricey, does really good work. I ordered both a stand and a canopy from them for my 90g salt water. They offer a ton of options to help customize your stand. For example, they offer 2-3 different wood types with oak being the top option. They allow you to pick the paint from 3-4 different colors. You can also choose the height of your stand. The standard is 30", which most pet stores carry, but I wanted extra room for my sump and because I liked the tank being a little further off the ground, so I bumped my stand up to the 36" option and couldn't be happier with the extra space. They also allow you to add some decorative options to really make it more of a centerpiece than just a stand. The canopy can also be customized, and they offer it in 10" and 15" heights to accommodate different light arrangements. If I remember correctly, each piece could run anywhere from $300 - $600+ depending on your options.

IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_1938.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG
How long ago was that? With the current lumber prices I don't know if you could buy the raw materials for $300. I do agree that those stands are certainly a step above a standard Marineland or Aqueon stand though.

OP
OP
B

Beachbum12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_1938.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG
Not to get away from the topic, but what lights are those and what model sump?

OP
OP
B

Beachbum12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago was that? With the current lumber prices I don't know if you could buy the raw materials for $300. I do agree that those stands are certainly a step above a standard Marineland or Aqueon stand though.
Lumber prices scare me right now. I appreciate everyone's help on this thread. Thank you.

GoodVybes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ordered the canopy back in February of this year and it ran me about $600. I ordered the stand over a year ago and it was roughly the same price. What you see in the pictures is all oak with a 36" stand and 15" canopy with some fluting on the corners for looks. You could save a good bit going with standard sizes, pine wood, and leaving the fancy woodworking stuff off.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back