Aquarium stand bows in the front

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I just noticed that my aquarium stand bows on the front.
Less than the photo, but still there is a bow.
Is this a problem in a long run?

Any idea how to fix it?

Thank you,
Kire
Any ideas how to fix it?
Screenshot 2021-10-28 at 22.46.31.png

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I just noticed that my aquarium stand bows on the front.
Less than the photo, but still there is a bow.
Is this a problem in a long run?

Any idea how to fix it?

Thank you,
Kire
Any ideas how to fix it?
Screenshot 2021-10-28 at 22.46.31.png
It looks like your tank is rimless, so this certainly is reason for possible concern as the bottom glass seams are all that is supporting the tank in between the vertical sides/dividers of the stand.
Rimmed tanks would have less concern with this issue.

Is this a stand meant for an aquarium?
+1 Is this stand built for supporting an aquarium? It looks like it could be, but it looks much less trustworthy for such an application than I would personally like.

Yes (I hope so) it was built by the same manufacturer that built the stand
Can you contact the manufacturer with this issue? This stand looks under-designed for a rimless aquarium in my opinion, though it may be fine and just have a lower factor of safety than I would like.

A simple fix would be to add boards or plywood across the top of the stand to make a thicker top surface. It looks like the stand sides and dividers provide enough support to hold the tank weight, but the gaps in between do not support the tank bottom glass.
Edit: I just realized this is not actually simple since the aquarium is already filled, unless it is simple to drain and re-add the water and occupants.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a leveling mat underneath it that often comes with rimless tanks (it doesn't look like it)? The mats help with slight deviations in stands but even this might be too much. If not this could be trouble with all that weight on the unsupported parts of the tank. I will let others chime in as to possible fixes but to be honest I would get the manufacturer to fix it if this was custom made or get your money back/replacement if this one of those premade stands. Or... Drain and remove tank and level it yourself but honestly I would try to get a replacement or my money back.

OP
OP
kirehajba

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your tank is rimless, so this certainly is reason for possible concern as the bottom glass seams are all that is supporting the tank in between the vertical sides/dividers of the stand.
Rimmed tanks would have less concern with this issue.

+1 Is this stand built for supporting an aquarium? It looks like it could be, but it looks much less trustworthy for such an application than I would personally like.

Can you contact the manufacturer with this issue? This stand looks under-designed for a rimless aquarium in my opinion, though it may be fine and just have a lower factor of safety than I would like.

A simple fix would be to add boards or plywood across the top of the stand to make a thicker top surface. It looks like the stand sides and dividers provide enough support to hold the tank weight, but the gaps in between do not support the tank bottom glass.
Edit: I just realized this is not actually simple since the aquarium is already filled, unless it is simple to drain and re-add the water and occupants.
Thanks Soren.

Yes indeed, its a rimless tank.
I will contact the manufacturer first thing in the morning to try and figure this out, as indeed it doesn't give me lots of trust.

however I did check my rimless Eheim 325, and that stand also has a small sag in the middle...

Is there a way to support the stand from the bottom so I don't have to remove the tank ?
I was thinking of putting horizontal planks, to support to bow?

OP
OP
kirehajba

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a leveling mat underneath it that often comes with rimless tanks (it doesn't look like it)? The mats help with slight deviations in stands but even this might be too much. If not this could be trouble with all that weight on the unsupported parts of the tank. I will let others chime in as to possible fixes but to be honest I would get the manufacturer to fix it if this was custom made or get your money back/replacement if this one of those premade stands. Or... Drain and remove tank and level it yourself but honestly I would try to get a replacement or my money back.
Tanks Karen, indeed there is a leveling mat under the tank

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could try removing center shelf and putting vertical 2*4 below horizontal bar. Shear strength is high. Alternatively, could try shimming gap. A lot of this depends on what material the stand is.

OP
OP
kirehajba

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could try removing center shelf and putting vertical 2*4 below horizontal bar. Shear strength is high. Alternatively, could try shimming gap. A lot of this depends on what material the stand is.
you mean somethiing like this?
1635457130801.png

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Soren.

Yes indeed, its a rimless tank.
I will contact the manufacturer first thing in the morning to try and figure this out, as indeed it doesn't give me lots of trust.

however I did check my rimless Eheim 325, and that stand also has a small sag in the middle...

Is there a way to support the stand from the bottom so I don't have to remove the tank ?
I was thinking of putting horizontal planks, to support to bow?
That sounds like a good plan.

You could add more dividers like the current ones to provide supports to the sagging portions, but I don't really like this solution myself. A lot of the cupboard space will be diminished with additional supports and I still would not like the limited top surface support for the glass. You also would need to support all the way through the stand to the floor to make much difference with only supports in the cupboard.

If it were mine, I would add extra supports along both sides and the divider inside the stand that run all the way to the floor as well as a new significantly thicker top frame/surface to make sure the bottom glass is fully supported.
Note that I have plenty of access to tools and materials and have reasonable DIY skills that I understand not everyone has. Your best course depends on how much you know how to do, what risks you are willing to take, and what tools and materials you have access to use.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More along these lines. The orange is the 2*4. 90% of the weight is vertical in a stand. The horizontal plank would help distribute the load along the bottom. But if the material surrounding the planks is particle board or MDF, the shear strength will be primarily on the screws. I am not a structural engineer, so take this all with a grain of salt. Also, I would want the plank touching the floor directly instead of the bottom shelf.
1635457130801.png

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean somethiing like this?
1635457130801.png
My personal opinion is opposed to this idea. From my experience, I don't think there are any good ways to attach the additional "shelves" to the stand sides and dividers to provide significant enough strength to alleviate the sagging issue.

You could try @Wasabiroot 's idea, but you will need supports in each comparment. I would personally modify it as pictured below using this similar concept:
1635457715678.png

This would include adding a set red horizontal and two blue verticals in each compartment and in both front and back of the stand. This would be a total of at least 6 horizontals and 12 verticals. All of these would be 2x4 or similar construction lumber at the minimum, though you could also probably make the legs thinner or out of plywood (true laminated wood, not particleboard or OSB). The verticals need to be directly supported by the floor, so you either would cut the floor of the compartments and run the legs through to the floor or would shim the floor of the compartments down to the room floor to make solid supports. This may be a complicated solution to do on your own.

I am really curious what the manufacturer will say, although I don't hold out high hopes that they will have a good answer unless you end up spending a lot more for a more-appropriate stand for this application.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks Karen, indeed there is a leveling mat under the tank
That's good! It might not be enough but at least the weight is being absorbed. I hope whomever made this stand for you does the right thing and fixes it. I'm sure it wasn't cheap and if I read your comments correctly they also made the tank so if anyone knows the importance of having a level stand it would be them.

OP
OP
kirehajba

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called the manufacturer and he says the problem is with the self-leveling mat... the mat, according to him doesn't give a chance for me to see where the loose contact is and correct it...
It might be the case, but what I can see is that the top is banding --> Meaning too much weight is applied on a too thin of a top ..

OP
OP
kirehajba

kirehajba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :)
I decided to build much stronger stand, using the well-known blueprint for building stands.

I just measured the sides and one of the sides is 3 mm higher than the other one :( I am guessing the long beam is a bit crooked :(

Is this a problem? I am placing an MDF panel and styrofoam on top to compensate for any imperfections.. and of course, I will shim It to adjust it good..

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Kire

Attachments

• IMG_2817.jpg
    IMG_2817.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 45

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soren has provided the best answer I believe

Attachments

• IMG_20211030_184141.jpg
    IMG_20211030_184141.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 51

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back