Aquarium Tech: iPads, Touchscreens and Monitors OH MY!

Do you have a iPad or similar type screen mounted somewhere near your tank for control or display?

• YES

Votes: 138 27.8%
  • NO

Votes: 343 69.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 3.2%

• Total voters

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that are using some form of iPad/tablet/laptop for constant display purposes. Have you run into any issues of being plugged in for long durations?

For years now Apple has said that their software will not allow overcharging. However I would check with the manufacturer on any device before leaving one connected for extended periods. I had a Verizon Mifi battery nearly burst a few months back from leaving it plugged in the power in my work truck. Just a thought...

Secondly, where do you get the device holders?

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a kindle 7, but I usually just use my phone anyway. The kindle is behind a cabinet door, so getting in there is more of a chore than just using my phone.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
121095175_167812618296904_737369253023945208_o.jpg

What display is that and is it a touch screen?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Older apex, so I have the display velcroed to the front of my strand. For any type of momnitoring I have my laptop and/or note 20 which work great for programming, or quickly accessing outlets.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Ipad with the Uapp page for my Reef Angel, that gives me full control of tank, and the Ai app installed for lights thats sitting next to tank. I dont mount it as i have a touch screen on my controller, and also have Uapp on my phone.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to...lol.

1603821979231.png

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth. I'm a newbie reefer (a little more than a year) and just added an Apex a couple of weeks ago. I was intentional in not getting an Apex "too soon" because I wanted to make sure I had somewhat of an understanding of aquarium parameters, adjustments, etc. before getting too overloaded on data. I've always heard, patience and small changes over time.

What I am trying to avoid is getting absorbed in the data and making adjustments in reaction to things. I use the Apex more for warnings (e.g. temp, leak, etc). |For certain operations I built a simple Breakout Box that has three switches for "Pumps Off", "Maintenance" and "Emergency". So for me, I don't want an iPad or other monitor solely dedicated to this purpose where I am trying to "manage to the numbers" over a short period of time.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no so sad no super cool technology for me I'm hoping and praying every night reef2reef set me up with one LOL

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yet because I use a terrible kindle fire for my reef-pi setups but honestly looking for a better replacement that won't kill my bank accounts. Any reef-pi users want to chime in?

MattW33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a raspberry pi hooked up to a touchscreen for lighting control. The aim was to have reactor flow rates, temperature, salinity and pH displayed but never committed the time to getting it working properly. Maybe one day...
It does have a time out on the screen to avoid the distraction of a bright display.
IMG_20201027_181847.jpg

MattW33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yet because I use a terrible kindle fire for my reef-pi setups but honestly looking for a better replacement that won't kill my bank accounts. Any reef-pi users want to chime in?

I used this one, not sure on availability elsewhere.

Edit, not sure if I can link directly. It's a 7" touch screen that connected directly to the pi. Cost around £60, but it needs a housing that fits the screen and any wiring on the pi. Not sure if that's the kind of thing you're after.

2BIGTANKS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium TECH is awesome! For some it is a hobby within a hobby and all a part of the fun of keeping a reef aquarium. For me the dream was to always have a "tank room" that looked like a mad scientist's lab! Now it just looks like a mad hoarders garage! HA!

Can you even be into tech unless you have some type of "screen" to display graphs and parameters? Let's talk about it today!

Do you have a computer/iPad screen mounted somewhere near your tank for control or display? If so what type and how do you like it?

Share a photo of your display!

image via @Ryanbrs

image via @Mical
cab door glass.JPG
No but my ATO has a little buzzing sound when my reservoir runs out of water

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that are using some form of iPad/tablet/laptop for constant display purposes. Have you run into any issues of being plugged in for long durations?

For years now Apple has said that their software will not allow overcharging. However I would check with the manufacturer on any device before leaving one connected for extended periods. I had a Verizon Mifi battery nearly burst a few months back from leaving it plugged in the power in my work truck. Just a thought...

Secondly, where do you get the device holders?
I'm in the process of setting up a Samsung Tab A for that purpose. For slick permanent wall mounts I've always used VidaBox. Run a Cat5 cable through the wall and use a 24 volt power injector for POE. No visible cables anywhere.

Creeklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium TECH is awesome! For some it is a hobby within a hobby and all a part of the fun of keeping a reef aquarium. For me the dream was to always have a "tank room" that looked like a mad scientist's lab! Now it just looks like a mad hoarders garage! HA!

Can you even be into tech unless you have some type of "screen" to display graphs and parameters? Let's talk about it today!

Do you have a computer/iPad screen mounted somewhere near your tank for control or display? If so what type and how do you like it?

Share a photo of your display!

image via @Ryanbrs

image via @Mical
cab door glass.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering hooking a screen up to my ReefPi when I do my build out. Will likely integrate it into my stand somehow.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back