Aquarium Water Changes: Why do you "change" a percent of your water?

What's the main reasoning/reasons behind why you, personally, change out your water? (PICK TOP 2)

• Reduce harmful waste and nutrients

Votes: 446 79.5%
  • Clarity (replace yellowing water)

Votes: 63 11.2%
  • Replenish beneficial trace elements

Votes: 377 67.2%
  • Meter salinity

Votes: 23 4.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 29 5.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me start off by saying that this isn't a question to debate the validity of "water changes." You either believe that changing out your water is beneficial or you don't. Whether it's reducing nutrients, metering salinity, replenishing beneficial trace elements etc, you believe it helps or it doesn't. Today I want to hear from those that DO change out their water and as to why they do it. Let's do it!

What's the main reasoning/reasons behind why you, personally, change out a percent of your water?

How often are you changing out a percent of your water?

mixing-image-1024x578.jpg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can stay on top of dosing, having all my parameters as stable as I can get them, and over time of not doing water changes my tank will go downhill. If I keep up with water changes the tank remains healthy. I've tried "no water changes" several times, but those methods just do not work for me.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10% monthly so far works for me.

Of course, dosing ca,alk and mag.

Soft/lps tank, now i'm trying some sticks, all good for now...

I strongly believe that 10% change weekly reall cannot solve anything, its too small % to have any bigger impact, so, i dont do it.

But, if i do, trace elements will be primary reason

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten away from 10% weekly water changes but still do them sporadically. When I do them, it is because the tank looks "dull" i.e. the sand doesn't look as white, there is more visible bacterial mulm or other stuff on the rocks, the glass gets dirty faster, and corals just are not quite as plump as they might be. I usually do about 20% then. I am not sure why it corrects the "dull" problem, but it always does. I believe the positive response to be associated with the maintenance that occurs at that time, the addition of trace elements that I don't add otherwise, and possibly the reduction of DOC that my skimmer doesn't address. I have often wondered if the higher ORP of the freshly mixed salt water provides some short term benefit I just don't understand.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I change water 1-2x a year unless salinity climbs or fish are pouting

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it to remove harmful as well as replace and rebalance benificial nutrients for my Acros in my nano, in my 4’ tank it’s for my Euphyllia and other LPS. Here’s just two of my acros.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the lowest of low tech tanks (no sump, skimmer, etc) so water changes are the only way for me to get rid of the old and refresh with the new as well as do a sand bed cleanup. I love how fresh and sparkly my tank looks after a water change and cleanup. I was doing weekly but now that I have added some sps corals I find I need to do twice weekly. I might need to start dosing soon. :)

Edit: I forgot to mention how much I change out... It's probably about 10% each time.

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than anything, I feel regular water changes help me stay ahead of anything that may be rearing its’ ugly head. I know many people with nice reef tanks that don’t perform water changes, but I have to say the tanks I admire most by and large so them regularly and it’s a much higher percentage path to long term success IMHO.

I also like that it puts me in tune with my tank. Certain acropora exhibit better coloration and polyp extension after a water change, whereas if I weren’t doing them I may have thought the colors and overall health was “good enough”.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I “literally” enjoy doing a monthly water change on my 180g. Approximately 30 gallons each time. Reef Crystals. All of the above reasons are legitimate and if obtained then why not. Right? Without question, I feel my tank has a fresher, cleaner, crisper look than it did prior to the change. I dose B-Ionic and have a solid filtration system but there’s something about that clean fresh look that adds to my overall viewing pleasure.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change water 1-2x a year unless salinity climbs or fish are pouting
Wow!! That is amazing! Don't a lot of fish always look like they're pouting? LOL My gobies always looked ticked off. Haha. I keep telling them to "turn that frown upside down". :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow!! That is amazing! Don't a lot of fish always look like they're pouting? LOL My gobies always looked ticked off. Haha. I keep telling them to "turn that frown upside down". :)
There’s a certain behavior in which you’ll know
I have 30+ fish and try to observe them as much as possible

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten away from 10% weekly water changes but still do them sporadically. When I do them, it is because the tank looks "dull" i.e. the sand doesn't look as white, there is more visible bacterial mulm or other stuff on the rocks, the glass gets dirty faster, and corals just are not quite as plump as they might be. I usually do about 20% then. I am not sure why it corrects the "dull" problem, but it always does. I believe the positive response to be associated with the maintenance that occurs at that time, the addition of trace elements that I don't add otherwise, and possibly the reduction of DOC that my skimmer doesn't address. I have often wondered if the higher ORP of the freshly mixed salt water provides some short term benefit I just don't understand.
I agree about the removal of DOCs. I don't have a skimmer (it's just a 5g) so I find after about four days the water is heavy with it which begins to accumulate on things so you're probably right that a skimmer still doesn't catch everything and a water change is the best way to clean out the system. :)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a certain behavior in which you’ll know
I have 30+ fish and try to observe them as much as possible
Oh yes. I agree. I give mine a hard eyeball everyday and I'm absolutely sure our fish let us know when they're not happy. :)

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't know why I do it. I know full well that even a monthly 20% water change does little to keep levels where they should be, regardless if they are too low or two high. But! It has to be better than not trying.

I try to dose trace elements, first with Core 7, now moving toward the Baling Method with TM Part C and the TM A and K. I do the very occasional ICP test to make sure I'm in a good range there.

So my 15% water change every 2 months is probably useless. It's my security blanket.

LSU-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly use it as a maintenance opportunity. It gives me a chance to remove the water and clean equipment, sump, fuge, etc. While I'm doing that might as well through some fresh water at it.

I do notice the tank "appears" to do better the first few weeks after a water change. I do mine monthly and about 20-25%

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I change water it is to remove organic and inorganic things we can't test for. This is the ONLY benefit water changes actually have (for standard tanks and standard amounts i.e. 10% weekly. A 5g nano is super easy to do 50% changes weekly and is an outlier in the hobby.)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change water weekly to replenish trace elements for my corals as well as to remove some built up DOM in two of my tanks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back