Aquarium Water Changes: Why do you "change" a percent of your water?

BRS

What's the main reasoning/reasons behind why you, personally, change out your water? (PICK TOP 2)

• Reduce harmful waste and nutrients

Votes: 438 80.1%
  • Clarity (replace yellowing water)

Votes: 63 11.5%
  • Replenish beneficial trace elements

Votes: 367 67.1%
  • Meter salinity

Votes: 23 4.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 28 5.1%

• Total voters

Ruben Sacramento

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I guess with so much biological filtration here in that amazing looking tank you'd only need to dose alk, mag, and calc. How many gallons is that tank? Looks great. First time I've seen a copperbanded butterfly in someone's tank.
Forgot to add, regarding my method for major minor and trace elements replenishment, I'm currently running the kalk slurry method for ph control 24/7, all-for-reef for element replenishment during photoperiod and finally phyto and aminos for "organic replenishment".

immaman2011

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Forgot to add, regarding my method for major minor and trace elements replenishment, I'm currently running the kalk slurry method for ph control 24/7, all-for-reef for element replenishment during photoperiod and finally phyto and aminos for "organic replenishment".
Well I've had my tank since may 10th. I converted freshwater stuff to saltwater to quickly complete my setup. I wasn't really enthusiastic about freshwater fish I donated them to a local mom and pop shop. Still learning but so far I only have 3 small baby corals in there. And some fish. I've decided to go with making my own rodi and it's going well so far. I guess you can never know how the rodi is being processed or stored at another shop when you buy it. I feel like that improved my water quality as well.

StewL6

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I change around 10 - 15% weekly 3 tanks because i built this really nice 30 gallon salt mixing station to make water changes easy. I can do all three tanks in 25 minutes or less including clean up. Yes i believe that water changes give the tank that little extra pizazz. Even though i dose the big three and trace elements. I believe salt water is a very complex system with elements in the water that we have no idea whats in it or how to measure it but will be the next big breakthrough 5 years from now. Makes me want to move closer to beach to collect water.

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I don't change much water, maybe 20% 3 or 4 times a year. I change that just because I enjoy going to the sea and collecting it but I never noticed any difference in my fish or corals and I doubt you need to even change that much.

immaman2011

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I change around 10 - 15% weekly 3 tanks because i built this really nice 30 gallon salt mixing station to make water changes easy. I can do all three tanks in 25 minutes or less including clean up. Yes i believe that water changes give the tank that little extra pizazz. Even though i dose the big three and trace elements. I believe salt water is a very complex system with elements in the water that we have no idea whats in it or how to measure it but will be the next big breakthrough 5 years from now. Makes me want to move closer to beach to collect water.
I believe also instead of dosing expensive chemicals it would be more cost efficient to change water instead. Especially if you have your own rodi system. There are salt mixes that have more trace elements for coral and anemones.

LeBon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I was doing 10% water changes faithfully in my 24g AIO cube for over a year. I was finding it difficult to maintain stability. My calcium, phosphate, and nitrates were bouncing all over the place. Then I stopped the wc and I'm just changing filter socks every 2-3 days and carbon/GFO about every 6-8 weeks. Now it appears my parameters are more stable. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but I'll continue to monitor weekly.

BTW, right now I am running primarily a softy and zoa reef. If things remain stable, in couple of months I may add some sps.
Was you changing socks every 3 days and carbon AND gfo every 3 months when doing water changes? lol all that on a 24 gallon

LeBon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
yep, only micro plastics, diesel and sewage to worry about then

BRS

What are all the ways you "filter" your reef aquarium?

• Chemical Filter Media

Votes: 188 47.4%
  • Skimmer

Votes: 327 82.4%
  • Natural Methods (rock, sand etc)

Votes: 341 85.9%
  • Algae Scrubber/Reactor

Votes: 54 13.6%
  • Rollermats

Votes: 68 17.1%
  • Filter Socks/Pads

Votes: 218 54.9%