Aquarium Water Changes: Why do you "change" a percent of your water?

What's the main reasoning/reasons behind why you, personally, change out your water? (PICK TOP 2)

• Reduce harmful waste and nutrients

Votes: 446 79.5%
  • Clarity (replace yellowing water)

Votes: 63 11.2%
  • Replenish beneficial trace elements

Votes: 377 67.2%
  • Meter salinity

Votes: 23 4.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 29 5.2%

• Total voters

Ruben Sacramento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess with so much biological filtration here in that amazing looking tank you'd only need to dose alk, mag, and calc. How many gallons is that tank? Looks great. First time I've seen a copperbanded butterfly in someone's tank.
Forgot to add, regarding my method for major minor and trace elements replenishment, I'm currently running the kalk slurry method for ph control 24/7, all-for-reef for element replenishment during photoperiod and finally phyto and aminos for "organic replenishment".

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add, regarding my method for major minor and trace elements replenishment, I'm currently running the kalk slurry method for ph control 24/7, all-for-reef for element replenishment during photoperiod and finally phyto and aminos for "organic replenishment".
Well I've had my tank since may 10th. I converted freshwater stuff to saltwater to quickly complete my setup. I wasn't really enthusiastic about freshwater fish I donated them to a local mom and pop shop. Still learning but so far I only have 3 small baby corals in there. And some fish. I've decided to go with making my own rodi and it's going well so far. I guess you can never know how the rodi is being processed or stored at another shop when you buy it. I feel like that improved my water quality as well.

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change around 10 - 15% weekly 3 tanks because i built this really nice 30 gallon salt mixing station to make water changes easy. I can do all three tanks in 25 minutes or less including clean up. Yes i believe that water changes give the tank that little extra pizazz. Even though i dose the big three and trace elements. I believe salt water is a very complex system with elements in the water that we have no idea whats in it or how to measure it but will be the next big breakthrough 5 years from now. Makes me want to move closer to beach to collect water.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't change much water, maybe 20% 3 or 4 times a year. I change that just because I enjoy going to the sea and collecting it but I never noticed any difference in my fish or corals and I doubt you need to even change that much.

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change around 10 - 15% weekly 3 tanks because i built this really nice 30 gallon salt mixing station to make water changes easy. I can do all three tanks in 25 minutes or less including clean up. Yes i believe that water changes give the tank that little extra pizazz. Even though i dose the big three and trace elements. I believe salt water is a very complex system with elements in the water that we have no idea whats in it or how to measure it but will be the next big breakthrough 5 years from now. Makes me want to move closer to beach to collect water.
I believe also instead of dosing expensive chemicals it would be more cost efficient to change water instead. Especially if you have your own rodi system. There are salt mixes that have more trace elements for coral and anemones.

LeBon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing 10% water changes faithfully in my 24g AIO cube for over a year. I was finding it difficult to maintain stability. My calcium, phosphate, and nitrates were bouncing all over the place. Then I stopped the wc and I'm just changing filter socks every 2-3 days and carbon/GFO about every 6-8 weeks. Now it appears my parameters are more stable. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but I'll continue to monitor weekly.

BTW, right now I am running primarily a softy and zoa reef. If things remain stable, in couple of months I may add some sps.
Was you changing socks every 3 days and carbon AND gfo every 3 months when doing water changes? lol all that on a 24 gallon

LeBon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, only micro plastics, diesel and sewage to worry about then

LeBon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't change much water, maybe 20% 3 or 4 times a year. I change that just because I enjoy going to the sea and collecting it but I never noticed any difference in my fish or corals and I doubt you need to even change that much.
lol

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change out c. .75g/day with my Neptune DOS auto water changer. That’s 5g/week for a 40g tank. I do it mainly to keep nutrients under control.

ComfortRacing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Actually the things you list as reasons for doing water changes are all handled by dosers, reactors and skimmers in my tank already….I guess i do it because it is the norm we have all been told to believe is beneficial for success. Which came before a time of auto-dosers, ATOs, auto water changers, effective skimmers and real reactors that work.

2) I do a 25% water change every two weeks currently but my water testing says everything is good but i do it anyways. I am considering switching to every other month unless the poo hits the fan emergency arises.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is beneficial to do "some" water changes but I think most people change to much water. Water takes on some beneficial properties which is one reason new tanks look lousy and are not healthy even if Cousteau set it up. (But I am sure he wouldn't use ASW) :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

There are things in NSW that we don't test for and don't even know if are needed. Seawater has everything in it on Earth including Maybe Jimmy Hoffa's left shoe and Columbus I Phone 4 which is the same one I have. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: (no really!)

I only listed the minerals that start with the letter "A". It goes on forever but I would run out of ink listing them.

See if these are listed on ASW just for "A". :rolleyes:

Maybe Copperband Butterflies need some Alaskharovite-Zn, Zinclipscombite or Vanadiocarpholite
for their eyelashes. Prove me wrong. :face-with-tongue:
A[edit]

Amethyst crystals – a purple quartz

Apophyllite crystals sitting right beside a cluster of peachy bowtie stilbite

Aquamarine variety of beryl with tourmaline on orthoclase

Arsenopyrite from Hidalgo del Parral, Chihuahua, Mexico

Aurichalcite needles spraying out within a protected pocket lined by bladed calcite crystals

Austinite from the Ojuela Mine, Mapimí, Durango, Mexico

Ametrine containing amethyst and citrine, from Bolivia

Last edited:
Back