Aquariums. Worth the extra cost?

lmcleod2480

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
After 5 years out of the hobby after losing my tank to a 1 in 50 year flood to the town and now buying out of town.
I am looking to get my hands wet again soon.
And after spending a few days searching. I didn’t find this question asked.
I found a lot of questions of what is better and what would others pick.

Is it worth the extra cost between some brands of tanks.
I am looking at the following

Aqua one reefsys 326 - $1750 Aud
Waterbox 130.4 - $2800 Aud
Redsea reefer 425xl - $3150 Aud
Cade pro reef s2 1200 - $3500 Aud

Is it worth an extra $1000 for a waterbox?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox? no. Cade, yeah - don’t even give it a second thought... In terms of brand names, I’d rank them Cade, Cade, Cade, Red Sea and then Waterbox (the latter being last because apparently they have very crappy Ikea-ish stands).

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
After 5 years out of the hobby after losing my tank to a 1 in 50 year flood to the town and now buying out of town.

I have a Red Sea 250 and 350. I couldn’t be happier with the quality and design.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just a post yesterday on another red sea tank busted seam at 3.5 years old. Seeing way to much of that.

I had a smaller red sea and wasn't that impressed tbh... huge overflow... crappy gate valve is disappointing.

You may want to see out what local custom builders there are near you and reviews as well.

Otherwise I would agree that you will get a lot more with a Cade when you get into pre-built aquariums for that price point. Metal stands are a very big YES PLEASE from me.

Last edited:

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just a post yesterday on another red sea tank busted seam at 3.5 years old. Seeing way to much of that.

I had a smaller red sea and wasn't that impressed tbh... huge overflow... crappy gate valve is disappointing.

You may want to see out what local custom builders there are near you and reviews as well.

Otherwise I would agree that you will get a lot more with a Cade when you get into pre-built aquariums for that price point. Metal stands are a very big YES PLEASE from me.
I get what you're saying, but if you look into any tank brand, you will see complaints about things going wrong. It happens with every tank brand, unfortunately. Just my opinion. = )

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an Aqua Japan that's built solid, we will see if it makes it through the "Big One"
Is the display attached to the stand? I'm so afraid of my display rocking over the stand and crashing on the floor. I wish I considered earthquakes before I bought my Red Seas.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox? no. Cade, yeah - don’t even give it a second thought... In terms of brand names, I’d rank them Cade, Cade, Cade, Red Sea and then Waterbox (the latter being last because apparently they have very crappy Ikea-ish stands).
Love my waterbox tanks. Cade was just too far out my budget and Redsea design (plumbing and sump) wasn't great imo.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy with my Waterbox cube and the stand is perfectly fine, zero issues with it.

I didn't go with Red Sea because they come with their own equipment and I wanted to purchase my own items.

Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those are made in China so I would say no, not worth the price tag. Especially when compared to quality and services from local builders.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the display attached to the stand? I'm so afraid of my display rocking over the stand and crashing on the floor. I wish I considered earthquakes before I bought my Red Seas.
No but I've had a 60,125,90 and now 180g and they do not move. A nano on a thin stand might topple.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 3 innovative marine tanks. The aluminum stands are rock solid. Best mass produced stands available IMO. I looked for a long time and wasn't impressed with the thought of water spilling because of a flimsy stand.

Last edited:

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t sleep on Innovative marine either. For the price I feel their tanks are top notch. My ExT 100 is 3/4” glass I think other brands don’t go that thick with that size

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Are you looking to buy this online? Any specifics sites you or anyone recommends for tank/stand purchase?

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

get a used 125.

JUSKIDN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my first water box in 60.2 and love the design. The stand is easy to put together and looks nice because I got the white one to match the trim in my house. They cost more but I feel they are worth it. I was all for Red Sea until I hear all the stories of them leaking after several years in operation.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hi all

I got a few months old Red Sea 425xl for $2000 off from a private party. Came with apex and a few Kessil 360we.

I upgraded to a brand new SCA 150 with a custom steel stand for $500! I couldn’t believe the guy was selling it. Of course he lived in a mansion and it was most likely peanuts.

What I’m trying to say is, there is good deals second hand out there if you don’t want to purchase for the manufacture price tag. It’s an aquarium. And this hobby is expensive already. You will end up spending a couple thousand early on in the hobby right away so why not save a couple.

To answer your question- I think Red Sea are beautiful tanks. Everyone who has seen the glass and cabinet was intrigued by the hobby. Never had a Cade so can’t comment. Steer away from 725xl without the reinforced cabinet brace as I hear it causes sagging or something like that.

Welcome back :)

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is a stand, serves its purpose well, nothing flimsy about it.

I reinforced mine with L brackets and corner brackets. It was pretty solid after that but it got wet for a few minutes when the tank overflowed once. The veneer busted open and the mdf inside expanded half an inch. The whole top warped and caused a leak in the seam between the front and bottom panel.

DO NOT GET THAT STAND WET.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back