aquascape changeup

Grayskull01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...I'm already thinking about changing up my setup. I want to replace the crushed coral with sand. Is it harmful to do this with fish still in the tank? i also want to ATTEMPT pvc aquascaping for better flow and appearance. Any advise? what are your thoughts on sealing the pvc ends to keep crud from building up in them? Im thinking about using pvc as legs to support plastic grid to hold rock up off the sand. What is the best way to hide pvc? epoxy some rock on it? oh yeah....and my wife is just shaking her head at me for already wanting to change up. LOL!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you disturb the crushed coral bed you might stir up a lot of ditritus. It is also acting as a biofilter so you might watch for an ammonia or nutrient spike

Kaze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it in few weeks section by section. You can kinda do it in about 4~5 sections and do one section at a time during weekly water changes. Also get an ammonia badge and dose prime when needed. Each week, replace a section of crush corals with sand, take out some rocks and rinse it with old water then put it back in.

OP
OP
Grayskull01

Grayskull01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you disturb the crushed coral bed you might stir up a lot of ditritus. It is also acting as a biofilter so you might watch for an ammonia or nutrient spike
Thank you for the head's up. I have only had it running for about 6 weeks or so. Hopefully there will not be too much but I will certainly watch for that.

OP
OP
Grayskull01

Grayskull01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it in few weeks section by section. You can kinda do it in about 4~5 sections and do one section at a time during weekly water changes. Also get an ammonia badge and dose prime when needed. Each week, replace a section of crush corals with sand, take out some rocks and rinse it with old water then put it back in.
Good idea. I will do that. Thank you for the advice. However, what is an ammonia badge?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...I'm already thinking about changing up my setup. I want to replace the crushed coral with sand. Is it harmful to do this with fish still in the tank? i also want to ATTEMPT pvc aquascaping for better flow and appearance. Any advise? what are your thoughts on sealing the pvc ends to keep crud from building up in them? Im thinking about using pvc as legs to support plastic grid to hold rock up off the sand. What is the best way to hide pvc? epoxy some rock on it? oh yeah....and my wife is just shaking her head at me for already wanting to change up. LOL!
hiding pvc.
see my build thread. if you want to try it, or have additional questions, shoot me a msg. :cool:

Back