Aquascape question

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I brought home some dead coral from Florida on my last trip. Can I put it in my tank? And can I use it as home for new coral frags? I bleached it and it’s been dried out since December. I have a bunch

image.jpg image.jpg

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that should be fine. If I were redoing my rocks I would drill some holes the size of frag plugs around.

OP
OP
Reefer87

Reefer87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that should be fine. If I were redoing my rocks I would drill some holes the size of frag plugs around.
I also have a lot of shells. Can I scatter some in too? I have a lot of pretty scallop shells and tiny whelks and a variety of conch and other shells from over the years. I want to do something with them but not use too many so it doesn’t look messy. Oh and sand dollars too

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since they've been bleached and dried for a while I would imagine the only thing that would be released from them over time would be their calcium carbonate shell. I think you're good to go.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind you want to have allot of surface area for bacteria to grow. Old coral skeletons might look cool but there isn’t as much surface area as other options. Those skeletons are more solid than say reef saver rock. I would say they are not ideal.

Also, over time your shells won’t look nice inside the tank. They will get covered with all kinds of stuff. Also not really ideal for surface material in the tank.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? I like smaller to mid size pieces to create areas for the fish to hide. Those pieces would be great for supports.

Back