Aquascaping but zoas covering live rock

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to aquascape my tank a little different setting up zoa islands stuff like that, a couple of the larger live rocks are covered in non prized zoas and I want to get them off . What's the best way to get them off or should I just get some more base rock and replace the two completely. I don't wanna try to scrape all those zoas off the rocks it would be horrible any ideas would be great. If I have enough motivation I might build a thread on the aquascape journey and take you guys with me for the ride.

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just see if your lfs would trade you some base rock for your zoa rocks. They might be able to make a small profit doing that... and save you the hassle.
The nearest LFS to me is an hour away that’s the only problem I’d rather chuck the hunk of palytoxin in the woods unless there’s a safe quick way to remove them from the rocks?
F9FF37A6-18A0-44F0-85C9-7BADE08C62B9.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I WOULD BE HAPPY TO BUY YOUR ROCK AND PAY A GOOD PRICE AND EVEN SEND YOU SOME WELL SEEDED ROCK I CURRENTLY HAVE. IT IS PUKANI AND FIJI ROCK AND I HAVE A FEW PIECES OF PREMIUM SHELF ROCK.
I HAVE LOTS OF IT AND IT IS CURRENTLY IN A SUMP UNDER GOOD LIGHT AND READY TO BE PLACED IN TANK
PM me if interested and I can send photos

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along because I have a similar problem with some zoas that attached to a large rock of mine from being too close to it and now I am not sure if I should attempt to break the larger rock up to get the parts without zoas or just chuck both rocks entirely. I also don't want to deal with scraping/removing them manually

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the type of zoas. Utter chaos on my rocks are relatively easy to gently pull off. Others are a bit harder. Periodically I pull off a bunch and trade them to a LFS for store credit. Others are harder to get off and need to be scraped. I use a metal scalpel or sharp chisel and scrape the rock surface off along with the zoas. Then cut them up into the size groups that you and sell/trade. If you don't want to be bothered with this, just sell/trade to someone who wants them as others have suggested.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nearest LFS to me is an hour away that’s the only problem I’d rather chuck the hunk of palytoxin in the woods unless there’s a safe quick way to remove them from the rocks?
F9FF37A6-18A0-44F0-85C9-7BADE08C62B9.jpeg

Those Zoas seem very nice.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back