Aquascaping GLUE and some "gluing" tips for your rocks!

Did you use an adhesive to create your aquascape?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 185 46.7%
  • NO I just stacked them

Votes: 186 47.0%
  • NO I used acrylic rods

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Other (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 12 3.0%

• Total voters

mjh712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Followed the BRS Video with Glue & Marco Mortar.

Definitely want to try the acrylic rod method at some point.

1626885093235.jpeg

1626885065269.jpeg

Need to get a current shot

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the super glue and marco cement for mine.

I have tons of overhangs and such and it holds it all great.

The only thing is - I recommend checking the weight on occasion while building, because it can get quite heavy and hard to move quickly.

9lKEsGK.jpg

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried; had all these plans for an awesome NSA. Drew out plans, bought lots of extra rock, broke it up with a chisel, got the glue and the sand ready, prepared my work station, set out the newspaper... turns out I'm allergic to cyanoacrylate and go into anaphylactic shock or whatever where I can't breathe normally for two days :-(. So now it's just stacked, with my one half-finished NSA standing tall in the corner (and freaking out the tangs; they won't go near it) as a testament to my failure.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you’re saying… you move your rocks frequently. I plan on leaving them in place unless something demanding they be moved happens.
In your case I would put the sculpture on acrylic sheet and lift that out if need be?
How much weight does that hold? I can't commit to one aquascape more than 6 months haha its a problem.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much weight does that hold? I can't commit to one aquascape more than 6 months haha its a problem.
I was able to build half my rockscape on one and used it to bring the piece into the tank then slid it off onto the glass bottom
Was more an issue of weight for us than the plexi
As long as it’s thick enough should be no issue
image.jpg

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The super glue method works great, I used the Glue masters glue and marco sand. Proper ventilation is the key! And I pre- drilled frag holes on everything.
For a saltwater newbie about to build a scape ... what size holes and how deep?

Thanks

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let your imagination be your guide.
Visualize the fish you want swimming in and out of crevices and caves. Try and see corals and space for growth.
Be able to stick your hands and tools in the spaces without knocking everything over and breaking sticks.
Have fun with it, it’s YOUR art!

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was able to build half my rockscape on one and used it to bring the piece into the tank then slid it off onto the glass bottom
Was more an issue of weight for us than the plexi
As long as it’s thick enough should be no issue
image.jpg
Did you have help when placing in the aquascape? That would really make me nervous. But maybe I will try it with my frag tank. I am wanting to do some kind of permanent aquascape with it.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Glue Masters 5 CPS thin super glue and crushed dry rock to make my "mortar". Crushing the same rock you are building with really helps to hide the seams.

200gbuild-rocks-73-jpg.2035962

200gbuild-rocks-59-jpg.2035942

200gbuild-rocks-65-jpg.2035960

If I build another scape in the future, I will use some of the Marco putty to attach the foundation rock to the base rock. It takes a lot of the thin super glue and lots of crushed rock to get a solid bound with such little contact area. I have more step by step photos in my build thread.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glue with dry rock is pretty straight forward, but when I'm gluing a frag I snip the base off then glob some glue on AND TWIST IT in to position, this seems to get the glue to stick underwater to both surfaces. I kinda scrap it back and forth a lil' too I want it to be threaded to the plug and the rock before I seat it.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have help when placing in the aquascape? That would really make me nervous. But maybe I will try it with my frag tank. I am wanting to do some kind of permanent aquascape with it.
Absolutely had help!
Plus these pieces aren’t all glued together
I assembled them on my kitchen counter (that didn’t go over to well) and glued the primary pieces only.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 50

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think this really depends on how it is done. When I glue a frag to a rock for example, it can often times lose it's grip over time if it hasn't encrusted.

However, when you do rocks and such, I used A LOT of it. On the larger scaled, the softer glue/cement will bend and go into the cracks etc. When it hardens, it creates little locks.

Similar to catching a monkey with a hole in a box with a cookie/banana. The hole is small enough that the monkey can put it's hand down in the box to grab the cookie/banana. However, when it has something in it's hand, it can no longer remove it's hand from the box. Supposedly they say the monkey never figures it out, refuses to let go of the object, and is thus caught. Could be myth, but the principle behind it is correct.

*Now I hope my stuff doesn't fall apart tomorrow after saying this* :D

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this really depends on how it is done. When I glue a frag to a rock for example, it can often times lose it's grip over time if it hasn't encrusted.

However, when you do rocks and such, I used A LOT of it. On the larger scaled, the softer glue/cement will bend and go into the cracks etc. When it hardens, it creates little locks.

Similar to catching a monkey with a hole in a box with a cookie/banana. The hole is small enough that the monkey can put it's hand down in the box to grab the cookie/banana. However, when it has something in it's hand, it can no longer remove it's hand from the box. Supposedly they say the monkey never figures it out, refuses to let go of the object, and is thus caught. Could be myth, but the principle behind it is correct.

*Now I hope my stuff doesn't fall apart tomorrow after saying this* :D
After your analogy I will never look at aquascaping the same way again.
I’ve got a visual of a monkey with his hand stuck in my aquascaping and he’s under water.
Poor guy is drowning, GET HIM OUT, BREAK THE ROCK!!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back