Aquascaping with Live Rock

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

I will be aquascaping with some live rock using E-Marco-400. How long can the rock stay out of water, and how soon can i put it back in the water after applying the cement?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would depend on how much "life" is on the live rock. Can you give us a little more info on what rock you are getting?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I;m working in these two pcs w/ the E Marco Mortar

47233940_10218399982979602_8943441740837158912_o.jpg
Premium Ultra Fiji live rock.png
Tonga branch showpcs.png

OP
OP
reelss

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would depend on how much "life" is on the live rock. Can you give us a little more info on what rock you are getting?

This is rock coming from my existing system which has been set up for a year.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to keep it moist during the process. You will likely have some die-off never-the-less. So, possibly a mini cycle is in the forecast. I recommend a garden sprayer filled with salt water. https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-Gal-Sprayer-1502HDXA/307766539
This is what I did and ended up having negligible die off. This was important to me as I had cured my rock for 4 months and didn't want to take any steps backward. Fortunately, this worked out for me.

OP
OP
reelss

reelss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to keep it moist during the process. You will likely have some die-off never-the-less. So, possibly a mini cycle is in the forecast. I recommend a garden sprayer filled with salt water. https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-Gal-Sprayer-1502HDXA/307766539
This is what I did and ended up having negligible die off. This was important to me as I had cured my rock for 4 months and didn't want to take any steps backward. Fortunately, this worked out for me.

I will be placing the rock in a rubber maid full of salt water, pulling out to chisel and cement one piece at a time. How soon can the rock be put back in the rubber maid and still have the cement form a strong bond?

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cement will fully cure in water over a 24-hour period, however, 20 min to set up and 1-hour solid handling time. You will likely get away with handling after 20 min elapsed with extra care taken.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, I have a quick question and would like some people opinion on this subject? Do you think I need to re-curing my 50lbs of old school Ultra Premium Fiji live rock that I have left over from a previous build??
The rock does not smell at all since it's been sitting in that back Rubbermaid container for about a month now. What would be your next step, give a Bleach bath or would you just run in the Rubbermaid with some saltwater and a powerhead?
I am going to add some Brightwell MicrōBacter7 b./c it will help complex the system of non-pathogenic aerobic and anaerobic microbes, as well as natural enzymes, specifically formulated to establish biological filtration in new aquarium set-ups, and to enhance the rate of nitrification, denitrification, and organic waste degradation in marine and freshwater aquaria through complete nutrient remineralization.

upload_2019-1-15_6-43-37.png

6385psku.jpg

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn't smell it is generally because the organics have died and likely dried. Rewetting it will cause that organic matter to begin decomposition in the new medium so, it will need to be re-cycled.

Back