Aquatic air: Do you pay attention to dissolved oxygen in your reef?

Do you pay attention to dissolved oxygen in your reef?

• Yes, I current have a dissolved oxygen meter.

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • Yes, I pay attention to surface agitation and flow for oxygenation.

Votes: 139 35.0%
  • Not really. If everything else is fine then no worries.

Votes: 67 16.9%
  • No. I don't pay attention to dissolved oxygen.

Votes: 173 43.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.0%

• Total voters

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check it with a YSI every other water change. Not that I care but it's a number it spits out at me.

PXL_20230429_030618396~2.jpg

You folks have got to get one of these things.
Is that correct your ORP is only 79.9 or is it some other scale used. I'd freak if mine got below 200.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that correct your ORP is only 79.9 or is it some other scale used. I'd freak if mine got below 200.

I lied. I misremembered. It's not different. ORP values fluctuate heavily. I have to check ORP with that probe in the tank to get accurate numbers. If I pull a sample and let it sit out on the counter for a few minutes then test it will always come back with skewed ORP values.

That's not the meters fault. It's because the ORP drops fast without circulation. I won't answer questions while half asleep ever again.

Lance A. Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At work I check every other day with a Hach LDO10105. I feel like once a trend is established this is mostly busy work. The DO% don't change more than 2% from day to day if all my equipment stays functioning and I am not changing stock. Personal opinion: degass tower is the best way to go if you are concerned about over or under saturation. On our 1600gl coral exhibit we had to install a degass tower to bring the DO% down.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface agitation has always been a neat tool. It further stabilizes PH. In some situations maybe not all, but for the most part the efficient gas exchange of surface agitation is great to combat the acidity the CO2 produces.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Neptune PM3/DO kit for a while and found it mostly useless. A major pain to keep the probe directionally accurate. Even when it was, there was never any practical way to intervene that wasn’t already being done. Properly circulated tank and an overflow/sump takes care of it. I feel the same way about DO as ORP …..

hokey11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check it with a YSI every other water change. Not that I care but it's a number it spits out at me.

PXL_20230429_030618396~2.jpg

You folks have got to get one of these things.
Cost and where to order it?
Unfortunately it looks like that model has been discontinued. The only model YSI sells now is 2,000 big ones But now I want a digital parameter reader too.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did you use for CO2 absorption and what do you use to dose H2O2?
Just regular CO2 absorber granulate with indicator. A German brand which i doubt is available in the USA but you can use any. I directed the air through the absorber into the air stone.
I am dosing the H2O2 with a diy dosing pump. It works differently than normal dosers because it is set up to dose one drop each 3- 10 minutes (adjustable). Since then my ph increased to 8.6 so i guess this method of adding O2 is a bit too effizient.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic air: Do you pay attention to dissolved oxygen in your reef?

Oxygenation is important to your reef tank for many reasons including aiding in respiration, the decomposition process, stress reduction, overall health, growth, and much more. There are many ways that oxygen can be added to the water such as surface agitation, aeration, filtration, flow, and surface skimming. Whether using DO (dissolved oxygen) meters to test water oxygen or using another indirect method, some reef keepers have found that paying attention to dissolved oxygen in a reef tank can be helpful. Others simply look for stagnant surface areas or dead zones where detritus collects and there is minimal flow. Please tell us if you pay attention to dissolved oxygen in your tank.

Pro Tip: One often overlooked area of low or no flow can be the sump. In addition to potentially low oxygenation, detritus can collect in these areas and create other challenges with water parameters and add stress to your reef.

DragonLee_ROTM.jpeg

Photo by @dragon_lee

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com

TSABanner3.jpeg

"Offering one of the largest selections of coral and dry goods online. Top Shelf Aquatics is your one stop shop for all of your aquarium needs."
I wander if there is a correlation between reefers that have been in the hobby 15+ years and those that consider dissolved oxygen in their systems.? Don’t hear about it much now but it used to be a matter of importance in the old texts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back