Aquatic alchemy: Have you done any DIY chemistry for your reef?

Have you done any DIY Chemistry for your reef?

• Yes, I experiment regularly with DIY chemistry for my reef.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • Yes, I follow the direction of others for DIY chemistry for my reef.

Votes: 75 37.3%
  • No, I only use pre-package chemicals for my reef.

Votes: 96 47.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

There are a wide range of pre-packaged chemical additives available for reef tanks, but there is also the option for DIY chemistry. Sometimes reef keepers turn to DIY chemistry because of the lack of the specific product, sometimes because of cost, and sometimes because of the desire to experiment. This approach to chemistry may be for more common items like DIY two-part or DIY salinity calibration or for more unique items like DIY additives of boron, molybdenum, cobalt, and zinc. Have you done any DIY chemistry for your reef? Please tell us about your experience with DIY chemistry for your reef in the discussion thread that follows.

Pro Tip: Check out the R2R DIY chemistry archive for a lot of information on DIY additives and more. The R2R reef chemistry section is a great place to learn and ask questions from some of the top experts in the field!

AncientMariner_ROTM.jpeg

Photo by @Ancient Mariner

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCKBanner.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Other than normal dosing and addition of aminos and trace elements I dose as needed especially after receiving ICP test results

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t resist. These are a few things I have used, but generally I employ Arm&Hammer baking soda for alk bumps in nsw

Attachments

• IMG_0864.jpeg
    IMG_0864.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0865.jpeg
    IMG_0865.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 46

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are a wide range of pre-packaged chemical additives available for reef tanks, but there is also the option for DIY chemistry. Sometimes reef keepers turn to DIY chemistry because of the lack of the specific product, sometimes because of cost, and sometimes because of the desire to experiment. This approach to chemistry may be for more common items like DIY two-part or DIY salinity calibration or for more unique items like DIY additives of boron, molybdenum, cobalt, and zinc. Have you done any DIY chemistry for your reef? Please tell us about your experience with DIY chemistry for your reef in the discussion thread that follows.

Pro Tip: Check out the R2R DIY chemistry archive for a lot of information on DIY additives and more. The R2R reef chemistry section is a great place to learn and ask questions from some of the top experts in the field!

AncientMariner_ROTM.jpeg

Photo by @Ancient Mariner

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

TCKBanner.png
RedSea and nothing else

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do baked baking soda as my DIY chemistry. It's so dirt cheap how could I not. $13 lasts me a year of ph raising alkalinity in my 340 gallon display. Probably the cheapest part of the hobby! Cheaper than 0 water changes, because i have to buy trace elements. I buy the BRS CaCl, MaCl2, and MGSO4. They're cheap enough and last me long enough, that I see no need to do my own. I use this chemical Formula to help make Chemistry decisions:

T = My Time
R = Risk of Harm to me or aquarium inhabitants
$ = Cost of Money
OC = Opportunity Cost of my Time (could I be doing something more important like water changes to accomplish the same thing, or cleaning pumps, or other much needed maintenance)
S = $ Savings

If T + 2R + $ + OC = S Then it's probably something I should spend time experimenting on!

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the following charts to make Phosphate, Nitrate and Calcium supplements for a fraction of the cost of premade products.

Attachments

• IMG_0858.png
    IMG_0858.png
    297.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0856.png
    IMG_0856.png
    319.9 KB · Views: 45

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back