Aquatic Life 61” T5 Hybrid tripping GFCI

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am starting up a new tank and purchased the Aquatic Life 61” T5 Hybrid. It appears it is tripping the GFCI plug. Any ideas on how to diagnose?

Thank you

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Hi Tom,

Depending on the GFCI manufacturer and age of the outlet we have found that sometime the high frequency ballast can trip GFCI circuits. This is called nuisance tripping, so we did testing years ago with different GFCI and found that Hubbell and Cooper were best suited for this issue. It has not been as much a concern with the Hybrids but I have had a few over the years. I do know that the Leviton common in hardware stores were the most easily tripped. Something to do with the sensitivity and how they are measuring.

Does it trip with only one fixture plugged in?

Do you see the same fixture tripping or it does not matter?

Let me know will be glad to assist.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Thank you for the response. It happens with either fixture wether one or both are plugged in. I have two circuits and two GFCIs plugs and they trip both of them. Sometimes I can reset the GFCI and they will run for a while, but randomly trip. The GFCIs are brand new, but I do not know the brand as an electrician installed them.

Thank you,
Tom

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Hi Tom,

Not sure I can help, there is nothing I can replace or remove to make them work. If it was one specific fixture it could be at fault, but both? It would lead me to believe its the combination of fixture and GFCI.

Sorry, I do not have a better solution or fix.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question. When putting the bulbs in there is a red wire and blue wire connector on one side and two yellows on the other. Does it matter which yellow you use for the blue vs. the red wire connectors?

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I have another question. When putting the bulbs in there is a red wire and blue wire connector on one side and two yellows on the other. Does it matter which yellow you use for the blue vs. the red wire connectors?
No they are universal, so the yellow wire is in series so the ballast yellow goes in one socket, bridges to the other socket and then a yellow back to the ballast.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to test new gfci devices with a heavy power tool or a hair dryer.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know I will be glad to help.

Hi,
I have been doing some experiments and it appears it may in fact be a bad ballast. When I plug in both, eventually the GFCI trips. One of them I cannot plug back in as it will continually will trip the GFCI. The other one I can plug back in without tripping the GFCI. I left the bad on off to see if the GFCI trips with the other one on. So far, no trip. This leads me to conclude one of the ballasts is causing the problem.

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s could be possible. Send us your purchase details at [email protected] and we can start the process. Some cases it’s the combined leak to ground but maybe one has a higher leak.

OK. I will send information but only after one last experiment. Your comment on combined leak to ground gave me an idea. I plugged each into two separate GFCI plugs on different circuits. Let’s see how that goes. If the same T5 bank trips then we know it is not the combined ground theory.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've traced down my nascence tripping to one or both of my 36" Hybrid fixtures. I've already tried replacing the GFCI with a few different types but they weren't the brand I see suggested above. I will order a new one and see if that helps. FWIW, mine trip even if they're just plugged in and not on, but it's sporadic and I could go a week or two with no trip then a day where it trips 5 times. I notice a little zap if I'm touching these fixtures and my aquarium water at the same time.

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Let us know but if your touching the water and the fixture and getting zapped. Something in the water is grounding through our fixture from the water as our fixtures are grounded and we have seen this happen before. Typically a pump or heater is causing the stray voltage leak.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back