Aquatic Life Debuts LED/T5HO Hybrid Mounting System Fixture Reef Hobbyists Have Been Waiting For!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did look into this but it would require wires to connect between the front and back fixtures.

We could not find a good solution to make it work correctly. If anyone has suggestions please let us know.

Only thing I can think of would be a M12 circular power connector and is something I've been considering since all four bulbs simply wash out any "POP" effect from the LED's. And two would suffice to solve any shadowing issues. Although the look is starting to grow on me, minus the pop in the greens and radiance that I used to get out of purples.

Example :

(2) https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=q88POAGIlTFpqJ7EOWtEoA==
(1) https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=ChwaSN6Xm4/n/iWcnYIJzQ==

The problem is this can really start to increase the price of the BOM.

The MegaFit family may have a 4 position product with panel mount options with cable assemblies that will meet the need. I'm just not sure of the UL power rating that would be required off of the HEP ballast to the bulb.

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/group?key=power_connectors&channel=PRODUCTS

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Only thing I can think of would be a M12 circular power connector and is something I've been considering since all four bulbs simply wash out any "POP" effect from the LED's. And two would suffice to solve any shadowing issues. Although the look is starting to grow on me, minus the pop in the greens and radiance that I used to get out of purples.

Example :

(2) https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=q88POAGIlTFpqJ7EOWtEoA==
(1) https://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=ChwaSN6Xm4/n/iWcnYIJzQ==

The problem is this can really start to increase the price of the BOM.

The MegaFit family may have a 4 position product with panel mount options with cable assemblies that will meet the need. I'm just not sure of the UL power rating that would be required off of the HEP ballast to the bulb.

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/group?key=power_connectors&channel=PRODUCTS

We used a water proof connector from GTC cable connector similar to the one you show, for the Expert fixture. I will have to look into that. I still may have some prototyping materials in the shop to give it a try. Thanks!

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just tried 2 blue plus and I think I am going with actinic for other two. BA BA

I probably should have done this or gone with all blue plus bulbs.

If the T5 bulbs are too white, there is almost nothing my Kessil can do to bring out more bluer color BUT if the bulbs are blue, the Kessil can balance the color between blue and white.

Just my observations. I'm going with 2 blue plus, one coral plus and one actinic. I'm not changing them until a year from now when the bulbs need changing.

tpack17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will repost when I get the actinics Thursday. The blues seem to be as white as I want to go.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably should have done this or gone with all blue plus bulbs.

If the T5 bulbs are too white, there is almost nothing my Kessil can do to bring out more bluer color BUT if the bulbs are blue, the Kessil can balance the color between blue and white.

Just my observations. I'm going with 2 blue plus, one coral plus and one actinic. I'm not changing them until a year from now when the bulbs need changing.

I had the same observation. I'm probably stuck with 2 Blue Plus, 1 Actinic, and 1 purple. If it wasn't for how the blue Plus wash out the colors on the Anthias I would have gone with another Actinic instead of the purple. I may still go back since I'm not 100% sold on the purple bulb and it's orangish overtone on everything else.

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my reef with two Blue Plus and two Actinic. I'm using the T5's as supplement and to reduce shadowing. I currently have them running 8 hours a day.
Aquatic Life.jpg

alexcd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my reef with two Blue Plus and two Actinic. I'm using the T5's as supplement and to reduce shadowing. I currently have them running 8 hours a day.
Aquatic Life.jpg

What intensity are you running on those LEDs at the same time as the T5s?

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What intensity are you running on those LEDs at the same time as the T5s?
It's on coral radiance (ecotech) and tops out at 55%. What do you guys think? I plan on renting a PAR meter soon

tpack17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on coral radiance (ecotech) and tops out at 55%. What do you guys think? I plan on renting a PAR meter soon

Tank looks good. I run my 3 g4’s at 40%. Otherwise stuff closes up. Whites only 15%. Blues 100%. Plan on t5’s runnin max 4 hrs a day

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super interested in one of these, just hoping we see some prototype tank/stand mounts soon (maybe in time for the holidays).

I can't talk myself into pulling the trigger until then, I am not a fan of ceiling mounts with any sort of significant weight involved. As there is no way I am opening the ceiling to put a new beam or support boxes like a ceiling fan would use.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a follow-up, maybe missed it: do you happen to have the weight of the fixture available or listed somewhere?

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Super interested in one of these, just hoping we see some prototype tank/stand mounts soon (maybe in time for the holidays).

I can't talk myself into pulling the trigger until then, I am not a fan of ceiling mounts with any sort of significant weight involved. As there is no way I am opening the ceiling to put a new beam or support boxes like a ceiling fan would use.

The've stated a few times that they will not be making a tank mount. But they are looking into reviving an old arm that can attach to your stand.

The 48 inch fixture I had came in at about 11 pounds. I don't think you need to open your ceiling and add support beams. I didn't I just got toggle bolts rated for 3 times the fixture weight.

My first thoughts -

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea unfortunately, can’t get behind my stand to screw/bolt it which assumably will be the case for a majority of people.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still can't get over the cord design. A 6 foot cord on a 48" fixture requiring at least one of then to rub the length of the fixture due to design is mind boggling.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The've stated a few times that they will not be making a tank mount. But they are looking into reviving an old arm that can attach to your stand.

The 48 inch fixture I had came in at about 11 pounds. I don't think you need to open your ceiling and add support beams. I didn't I just got toggle bolts rated for 3 times the fixture weight.

My first thoughts -

Thanks for your video!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back