Aquatic Life Debuts LED/T5HO Hybrid Mounting System Fixture Reef Hobbyists Have Been Waiting For!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I borrowed a PAR meter and took some measurements on my tank w/ my Hydra 26 HD only and w/ the addition of the the T5 fixture. This is the 24" model and the T5 bulbs are 2 ATI blue plus, 1 Coral Plus and a Actinic. Ultimately I turned down the LED's to 70% of their previous settings and did a 1 month acclimation up to that level. Main reason for adding the T5's was that I was getting a lot of shadowing on my sps.

Hydra 26 HD Only:

ParLevels_LEDs.jpg

Hydra 26 HD along w/ T5's:
ParLevels_100LED_T5.jpg
Im learning that par numbers can be deceiving and that less is better to start with... I went to a local shop yesterday who has an amazing sps dominated tank and frag tank with clippings from their display for sale all growing and looking great. On the frag tank they have a 48" 4 lamp ati fixture over a 6 foot thank running about 10 inches above the water line and the par is nowhere close to what's recommended for hard corals. That being said all the frags are concentrated to the middle of the fixture

Crimson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my DIY mounting:

This may sound crazy but I am thinking about taking out the kessil a160's and replace it with another t5. Problem is I cannot find any 24" in stock anywhere. In other words, I really just need one more t5 from this hybrid kit to make this a 6 bulb system.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my DIY mounting:

This may sound crazy but I am thinking about taking out the kessil a160's and replace it with another t5. Problem is I cannot find any 24" in stock anywhere. In other words, I really just need one more t5 from this hybrid kit to make this a 6 bulb system.
What bolt is holding in the channel?

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 4 long screws in the "universal" adapter which attaches the t5's. I use a 3/8" bolt for the Kessil's. I could do a better job on the wire management.
So you're supporting the fixture entirely via the small adapter plates, and not the channels the hanging kit utilises?

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make it sound bad, but yes.
Only because that's four small screws that are attached via pressure threading into aluminum, unless I under-estimated how strong they thread in when I assembled mine. I like the pillar look of that, if only I had more vertical space, makes for a neater wiring collection imo.

Crimson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only because that's four small screws that are attached via pressure threading into aluminum, unless I under-estimated how strong they thread in when I assembled mine. I like the pillar look of that, if only I had more vertical space, makes for a neater wiring collection imo.

I used a thicker self taping screws. :)

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I need to figure out how to best mount one of these fixtures over my livingroom tank. The ceiling is about 11 feet high, so I really doubt the existing ceiling cables will cut it. I am debating making some shelf type brackets out of 40mm 8020, but it will be pricey and I can't determine how to attach them to the wall, outside of drilling holes through the 8020 on the wall side.

Anyone aware of a good source of hanging wire parts similar to those that come with the kit, if I wanted to DIY a much longer, thicker gauge version of the hanging hardware? Either that or the right piece to vertically mount 8020 bars to a wall.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I need to figure out how to best mount one of these fixtures over my livingroom tank. The ceiling is about 11 feet high, so I really doubt the existing ceiling cables will cut it. I am debating making some shelf type brackets out of 40mm 8020, but it will be pricey and I can't determine how to attach them to the wall, outside of drilling holes through the 8020 on the wall side.

Anyone aware of a good source of hanging wire parts similar to those that come with the kit, if I wanted to DIY a much longer, thicker gauge version of the hanging hardware? Either that or the right piece to vertically mount 8020 bars to a wall.
Do you have any space between the wall? On my second tank I built a bracket out of 2x4s that the 8020's slide into. I can slide the bracket in and out from the side.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any space between the wall? On my second tank I built a bracket out of 2x4s that the 8020's slide into. I can slide the bracket in and out from the side.
Not really, and it's old plaster and lath wall, so I'd rather avoid cutting into the wall if possible. I priced out making a couple 8020 L type brackets that I could screw into the wall and it looks like it would run about $180... I can only imagine there is a more cost effective way to do it without being too cheapo.

Toky916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homedepot sells the wire

Not really, and it's old plaster and lath wall, so I'd rather avoid cutting into the wall if possible. I priced out making a couple 8020 L type brackets that I could screw into the wall and it looks like it would run about $180... I can only imagine there is a more cost effective way to do it without being too cheapo.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homedepot sells the wire
Yeah, definitely considered going that route. I will have to dig around and see what kind of fittings they have for that wire. I'd probably keep the wire portion that connects directly to the fixture and just replace the run that goes from the adjustable intersection. Got to be a lot cheaper than making brackets out of 8020. I'm having a hard time coming up with a solution that is going to look good and be really bulletproof.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the 48” model how many ai primes can you install? Since it says need the mounting kit, by mounting kit, can you use the arm mounts(what i have)? Or does it mean the ceiling mount kit only?

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't be able to mount the with the arms you'll need to hang them.

OPhelanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my DIY mounting:

Can you please post a top down pic?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back