Michael-JT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to another installment of "how come you've never been married"? With your host, Michael.
Before we begin, let's lower our heads in prayer. "forgive me father, for I have sinned. It's been two weeks since my own account put a hit out on me.."

Now, let's follow along as we turn this bank buster:
IMG_20220120_000144.resized.jpg

Into this:
IMG_9101.resized.JPG

Oh, wait. That didn't go right...
That's for those that get physically ill at the thought of writing a check for two DX18's and the day they arrive getting out the wire cutters voiding any/all warranty.

Here's what really happened:
IMG_9164.resized.JPG

I have a standard 180 gallon display (6x2x2) and the options weren't really fitting. The 60" version was tested to be adequate according to BRS, but it lacked dimming. The only way to convert a 60" to dimming is to replace both ballasts with 0-10v dimming versions. The cheapest I found them was around 175$ each, adding 350$ to the price of the 60".
By that time you're 80% of the way to dual 32" dimmable DX18 prices. So that's the direction I went. It gave wall-to-wall coverage versus the 60" stopping short 6 inches on each side. Plus I have dual dimming controlls running off a single 4-channel VDM module.
The problem comes in years ago when I bought my standard 180, not knowing the advantages of a rimless tank. So I have a rim and two rails on the top basically cutting the tank in 3 2x2x2 cubes. Perfect, I'll put a AP9x over each cube. Except 2 32" fixtures butted together in the middle didn't lend well to this idea.
And here's when the mad scientist comes out. Instead of coming up with a better idea, destroying warranties on day 1 is a much better path.....
This mod is actually simplier than you would think. Remove one side bar on each fixture.
Aquatic life runs the ballast wires down both sides to save on expensive copper wire. Buy some wire, take the cables out of one side and extend them through the other side.
I found an easy wire extender at the local Walmart. Go into the auto section and look for bulk trailer wire bundle. It's 16/4 flat-ribbon cable (so much easier to route) with insulation made to use outdoors on a trailer. 25 feet was around 15$
On the one you're removing the left side part you'll need to move the power cable and the 1-10v signal for the ballast on the front side. For the power cable I used two additional strands of the ribbon cable. With the 2x39 watt ballast pulling less then 1 amp, the 16 guage cable is plenty. For the 0-10v I got a small section of 18/2 low-voltage thermostat cable from the local hardware store for a couple dollars.

Let's get started void'n dem warranteees.

Start with the DX laying on its top with the underside facing up.
IMG_9109.resized.JPG
Remove the 8 metal clamps that hold the bulbs in:
IMG_9110.resized.JPG
And /gently/ pry the reflector out. Start at the corner and gently work your way down one side.
Do NOT pull on the reflector, like I did, and put a crinkle in it (yay). Just run down the edge and it'll pop out.
IMG_9113.resized.JPG
Then you'll be looking at it like this:
IMG_9114.resized.JPG
Next is the brackets you see at the edge. Those 4 screws? well, like 16 or so, but yeah.
Since we're taking different sides off each, pick your poison. I did the one with the left first because it had the addition power wiring.
Take all these out
IMG_9115.resized.JPG
Once you have those out, start on the other side of the corner
Not the best picture, but you get it.
IMG_9116.resized.JPG
Once those are out the bracket will come loose.
IMG_9119.resized.JPG
And you'll be left with a corner that looks like this:
IMG_9120.resized.JPG
See how much fun we had there? now do the same on the top side....Yay!

At this point you can see down the length of the fixture. The end pieces are solid all the way down, so all the work has to be done across the inside front and inside rear.
Locate and trace the wires traveling down the side you want to remove. Then, and here is the point of no return, get the wire snips out.
Cut the wires, lay the 16/4 around the other way, and start reattaching wires.
Everything was straight-forward, marked on the ballasts, and color coded. If you've ever wired a florescent ballast before, this is just moving wires.

This is a mid-way shot of the re-wire. It also shows the 16/4 flat ribbon cable I spoke of. Having 4 wires on a flat cable to wire a 4-wire ballast was a jackpot find. Highly recommended.
IMG_9102.resized.JPG
And for those getting ill, Here's a progressed view:

IMG_9103.resized.JPG
IMG_9104.resized.JPG

IMG_9105.resized.JPG

Making sure I don't hit post limit
Will be cont in next post

OP
OP
Michael-JT

Michael-JT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, If you've gotten this far you have two U-shaped devices now.
Rewired and side bar removed. Now how do we get them together?
Well, actually, I found that pretty easy to do. Remember those brackets we removed?
Turns out that without the side rails, those brackets butt up together. This is the starting point.
Bolt those end to end with some standard hardware bolts. The #6's were a bit small, I'd go with #8s
IMG_9132.resized.JPG
Next, I wanted to stiffen up the brace as it went across the connection of the two lights. I found a simple piece of bar-stock fit so well:
IMG_9130.resized.JPG
So with a couple simple measurements it was off to the cut-off wheel.
Notice the holes marked for the bolt holes.
IMG_9131.resized.JPG
And then put the bar up against the bracket and bolted it in:
IMG_9133.resized.JPG
IMG_9134.resized.JPG
IMG_9135.resized.JPG

Start by putting the bracket into one of the fixtures and putting the six bolts in locking it down
IMG_9137.resized.JPG
The put the other set of brackets into the same fixture:
IMG_9138.resized.JPG
IMG_9139.resized.JPG
Then, guess what's next...
You guessed it...shot of whiskey and another prayer..
IMG_9140.resized.JPG
IMG_9141.resized.JPG
Start throwing the bolts back in on the second side now.
Once you end up with this:

IMG_9142.resized.JPG

You can move on to this:
IMG_9143.resized.JPG
IMG_9144.resized.JPG
IMG_9146.resized.JPG
IMG_9147.resized.JPG

More to come in next post.

OP
OP
Michael-JT

Michael-JT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so we've managed to get the DX18's back together. Why end there?
Remember these?
IMG_9159.resized.JPG
"But the Kessil shimmer!!" I yelled to my accountant..
ralph.png
First add the brackets onto the AP9x's body. Don't bother tightening them up yet, just loose.
IMG_9160.resized.JPG
Then they just set down into the DX18 fixture. Like I said, don't tighten there either. You'll adjust them when hung and measured.
IMG_9164.resized.JPG
IMG_9166.resized.JPG
IMG_9165.resized.JPG
IMG_9161.resized.JPG
IMG_9162.resized.JPG

This is the final on the ground and ready to be hung:
IMG_9169.resized.JPG

Cont one more time..

OP
OP
Michael-JT

Michael-JT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's finish with hanging this thing..
I started with putting the end hangers on, and then the center supports 2 feet in
IMG_9172.resized.JPG

And went to hang it:
IMG_20220128_231410.jpg
IMG_20220129_200922.jpg
I need a filter for my camera.. It just blew the lens white balance out the window.
Yes, that my crossbar now has a sag..it'll be fine..If it ever falls, the glass T5's and the glass tops are both glass, so we're good there.

Things I learned:
1) The inside of the DX18 is rough cut metal. I'm clumsy. The two clashed in blood 3 different times.
2) I originally used CAT5 cable for the 0-10v running to the front ballast. I quickly learned that 'communication' and 'voltage AS communication' are not the same thing. The ballast haaaaated the twisted pair. Replaced with 18/2 thermo wire.

Moderators, does this count as a build thread?

P.S. If Aquatic Life is on the board.....I still gots dems warranties, right?

Questions?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have just found my next project with just the right bit of enablement. Thanks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back