Aquatic Life Hybrid Tank Mount

jknorr23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone. I’m in the process of building out my 120g rimless tank made of 3/4” starphire. I bought the aquatic life hybrid to go with my pair of gen 4 Radion XR30s. I also bought the aquatic life wall mounting brackets, however after getting the tank in place I’m not sure I really want to go the wall mount option. Has anyone ever made or used a bracket similar to a radion arm or RMS rail for their hybrid setup? I know I’ve seen some that come off the back of the stand, but those won’t be the easiest to add right now as the tank is full and cycling. I wasn’t sure if the weight would put too much pressure on the glass or if there was another reason you never see a sleeker mount for these lighting setups. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the wall mount is the best looking non diy choice for that fixture.

Mine when first installed:

1612419584379.png

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That mount isn't on the tank at all, it is mounted to the wall, most likely screwed into studs. The mount is nice because you can pivot up and out of the way when you need to service the tank.
i dont think i would hang aquatic life and 4 Xr's that would be heavy on the rim of tank.... I say hang it its easy.. from the ceiling...

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here are my 2 set up I went thru with my hybrid fixture.

Sorry pics stink.

i had modified the normal 61“ unit into a 6 bulb T5 after I did not like how the LED in the middle looked. I had that hanging from an old AI hanging kit. I used the AI cables from the ceiling into the cables that were attached to the housings.

The pic on the blue is the current set up. It is the wall brackets. They are really strong. They are drilled into wood studs. I took that 6 bulb and got the 24“ extension bracket. That mad room for the 3 fixtures and I put back 2 AI HD 52.

The pic on top is a really bad pic where you can see the 6 bulbs and at the far end just barley the bottom of the leds in between the T5 bulbs.
F8C9209B-D1D0-44AA-AAB3-8B061733F801.jpeg

282F7E2A-AF95-4E39-B1E1-8E60E56780F2.jpeg
49544CDF-A7BF-4304-A34C-037EE278E4E2.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jknorr23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those XR30s? How wide is the tank?

1612419584379.png
If you don't mind me asking, how far do your brackets stick up above your light fixture? I think what was throwing me off with the wall mounts is how long the vertical pieces are. I wanted a sleek light set up and the wall mounts seem to create more of an "H" shape with the fixture in place. I can live with extra under the light since I have to run wires anyway, but I was trying to avoid the bracket sticking out over the top too much.

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind me asking, how far do your brackets stick up above your light fixture? I think what was throwing me off with the wall mounts is how long the vertical pieces are. I wanted a sleek light set up and the wall mounts seem to create more of an "H" shape with the fixture in place. I can live with extra under the light since I have to run wires anyway, but I was trying to avoid the bracket sticking out over the top too much.
It depends on where you have your fixture positioned on the wall mounts, as the mount allows you to raise and lower the fixture.

Scott Kro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here are my 2 set up I went thru with my hybrid fixture.

Sorry pics stink.

i had modified the normal 61“ unit into a 6 bulb T5 after I did not like how the LED in the middle looked. I had that hanging from an old AI hanging kit. I used the AI cables from the ceiling into the cables that were attached to the housings.

The pic on the blue is the current set up. It is the wall brackets. They are really strong. They are drilled into wood studs. I took that 6 bulb and got the 24“ extension bracket. That mad room for the 3 fixtures and I put back 2 AI HD 52.

The pic on top is a really bad pic where you can see the 6 bulbs and at the far end just barley the bottom of the leds in between the T5 bulbs.
F8C9209B-D1D0-44AA-AAB3-8B061733F801.jpeg

282F7E2A-AF95-4E39-B1E1-8E60E56780F2.jpeg
49544CDF-A7BF-4304-A34C-037EE278E4E2.jpeg

Scott Kro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mastiffsrule how far away from the wall is your tank. I was thinking about getting that wall mount like that. but its states it only brings the light out 3.75" out from the wall. My tank is about 8" from the wall. Will I be able to center the light in my tank front to back? Thanks

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1612419584379.png
Which wall mount is this? Looks different than what I am seeing from Aquatic Life on BRS and Marine Depot.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mastiffsrule how far away from the wall is your tank. I was thinking about getting that wall mount like that. but its states it only brings the light out 3.75" out from the wall. My tank is about 8" from the wall. Will I be able to center the light in my tank front to back? Thanks

Hi and welcome to R2R

I will have to measure. The brackets are adjustable so mine stands out a good bit. I get back to you.

Scott Kro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R

I will have to measure. The brackets are adjustable so mine stands out a good bit. I get back to you.
I decided to hang light fixture. I think it turned out good. thank for your input!

Attachments

• Photo Mar 27, 2 37 18 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 27, 2 37 18 PM.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Photo Mar 27, 12 39 43 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 27, 12 39 43 PM.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 48

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to hang light fixture. I think it turned out good. thank for your input!

Tanks looks great. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I had measured a while ago, then it took me forever to find the thread. It was 7 inches from wall to back of the fixture if you ever need to know :p

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back