aquatic life twist in rodi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take your weekly water production and divide that into the 700 or 1,000 it would give you how many weeks between changes.

Example: 40 gallons filtered water per week would give you 700/40= 17 weeks or 1,000/40 = 25 weeks. if you have your chlorine ppm we can try to calculate more accurately.
I guess based on the report, chlorine ppm would be a maximum of 2.19ppm?

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Agreed and with the ratio of the Smart Buddie at 1 to 1.5 I would go with the 700 gallons of filtered water to be safe. The carbon filter is protecting the membrane and if chlorine is allowed to reach the membrane it can damage it.

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed and with the ratio of the Smart Buddie at 1 to 1.5 I would go with the 700 gallons of filtered water to be safe. The carbon filter is protecting the membrane and if chlorine is allowed to reach the membrane it can damage it.
Got it. So estimating I make around 280 gallons per month, that divided by 700 would equal to 2.5 months before changes. Correct?

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree, just to be safe.
Got it! Last question to conclude, TDS is then, just a number and means not much right? Because after producing over 1500 gallons of water, both my handheld HM TDS meter and inline dual TDS meter are measuring 0 TDS, however, my tank isnt as happy as before. I guess chlorine isn't detected by the meter?

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
The way I understand it is the membrane can reject the chlorine and the DI resin can remove possibly the chlorine. I don't believe there is chlorine in the filtered water with 0 TDS out, its just possible that the chlorine is creating possible problems upstream and or damage to the membrane and resin.

You may want to install the flush cartridge in the DI position and test the rejection rate of the membrane to the supply water. The TI membrane will reject typically 97 - 98% of the supply water TDS.

Also, the big unknown is your actual chlorine ppm at your location. If actually lower than the 2.19 and closer to 1.0 you would double the life of the carbon.

Do you happen to have a chlorine test kit?

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I understand it is the membrane can reject the chlorine and the DI resin can remove possibly the chlorine. I don't believe there is chlorine in the filtered water with 0 TDS out, its just possible that the chlorine is creating possible problems upstream and or damage to the membrane and resin.

You may want to install the flush cartridge in the DI position and test the rejection rate of the membrane to the supply water. The TI membrane will reject typically 97 - 98% of the supply water TDS.

Also, the big unknown is your actual chlorine ppm at your location. If actually lower than the 2.19 and closer to 1.0 you would double the life of the carbon.

Do you happen to have a chlorine test kit?
I don't have a test kit for chlorine. I will see if I can get one. I think considering all the odds, as I have been insanely testing my water for almost every element I can find test kits for, I will just change my filters every 3 months or earlier.

When you say " its just possible that the chlorine is creating possible problems upstream and or damage to the membrane and resin.", what exactly you referring to?

Thanks again for your patience on this.

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
If chlorine is passed to the membrane it will damage the membrane over time and sometimes quickly. If the DI is able to remove the higher TDS passed to it and possibly the chlorine you would not easily see a problem. As the TDS would/could still show 0.

If you want you can give us a call if you would like to discuss on the phone too.

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If chlorine is passed to the membrane it will damage the membrane over time and sometimes quickly. If the DI is able to remove the higher TDS passed to it and possibly the chlorine you would not easily see a problem. As the TDS would/could still show 0.

If you want you can give us a call if you would like to discuss on the phone too.
What number should I call? I tried calling earlier but it was telling me to leave a message :(

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 142 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.0%
Back