AQUATICLIFE HYBRID & HALO MOUNTING SYSTEM AND LET'S SEE YOUR'S

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEY! HOW DID YOU HANG YOUR HYBRID FIXTURE ???

Hello, I have been struggling to come up with a solid solution to handle my light without wall or ceiling mounting, my wife simply won't allow it. So I considered many options and looked at costs.
One of my favorites is 80/20 and for DIY is probably one of the better solutions available today.

Over the past couple of months I have been working on some modifications to my hybrid fixture and
Dave @AquaticLifeProducts had joined in to help me, he provided a drawing, some info on ballast wiring and even sent me a bulb holder that I lost during the process. Dave reached out to everyone on that build for what we would like to see in the future with his products. You can see that all here @
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aquaticlife-hybrid-mod.342072/
Dave also messaged me when I mentioned needing to find extra clamps to accomplish what I was trying to do. We have had several conversations on a mounting system and we talked about His
Halo mounting Kit that's already available to everyone and how Kessil USED it to pattern the ap700 mount. So he generously provided some spare parts to give this a try and to see what YOU think!
Thanks Dave!

We should see some options soon for those that want a package kit, but until then It's all DIY!

Last edited:
OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the mounting system that I am using to hang my fixture. Mounting to my Cabinet without drilling or moving an existing tank. I learned a great deal and will try to convey those lessons as well.
aquaticlife-halo-mounting-arm-18-inch-99-jpg.651145

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Against my wifes wishes, I did end up hanging mine from the ceiling.
I am using my 2 kessil 360's on my HYBRID so this wouldn't be complete without the KOOL-AID KID! ........My wife is still trying to get me to move the tank, so anything permanent would be real trouble.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the stand clamp idea... wouldn't work for me, but looks great.

I had a Halo, just used the tank clamp mount, when I was using it. No longer have that tank.

I'm uncertain why people don't like ceiling mounts. Not like you're going to be moving that tank around every few weeks, and it really does lend itself to unobtrusive and clean installs. Even with an odd ceiling, a plumb bob makes it a simple procedure. I intentionally lined up the center line of the aquarium under the edge of the box beam.

HangLight.jpg

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I get a box in the mail and in it is a ton of parts more than enough to do this......SWEET!
20180202_151831.jpg
This next pic is the clamping system, you get 1 with the HALO mount so you will have to buy an extra per side. So you will need 2 HALO mounts/arm/kits with 2 extra mounts to do this
20180202_152134.jpg This system will do a Open cabinet or Closed cabinet with what's been provided except for the extension poles.
Closed or solid back will still need to be moved or threw drilled and I will touch on that later.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm uncertain why people don't like ceiling mounts. Not like you're going to be moving that tank around every few weeks, and it really does lend itself to unobtrusive and clean installs. Even with an odd ceiling, a plumb bob makes it a simple procedure. I intentionally lined up the center line of the aquarium under the edge of the box beam.

Love the Beams and the set-up.....Mine is Drywall and after 25 years of painting 3 different homes I try to stay away from anything that causes more work for myself and my MUD/spackling skills aren't the best

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before I knew I was going with the HALO mounts I knew I was going to do this but with what parts (clamps & tubes) so I looked everywhere and couldn't find the pole mounts unless I bought the full mounting kits
I have the AP700 stands for my 360's . But another set of AP Mounts/clamps 2 @ $65 each just to get the clamp, and the extension kits 3@ $55 each is unrealistic for me. So i started to look at what is available. I made a set of clamps out of some scrap aluminum that would work so now I needed the extension poles that need to go all the way to the base of my cabinet and two couplings and that's where All the trouble started.
At first I thought to use EMT (thin wall conduit) its galvanized so rust would be no issue but the dimensions for 3/4" Is 1-3/16" OD and thats too big for the 1" bracket and 1/2" EMT is like a wet noodle and not to be considered so I looked at aluminum and stainless tubing and would need 2 pieces @ 6 foot which would cost quite a bit to shipp being over 4 foot, I could do more couplings and have 4 footers shipped shoot I can buy from
Home depot or a farm supply but everything they handle is 4 foot. It's the couplings that was the biggest challenge, so to get the correct fit without machining Is nearly impossible without putting your hands on and trying
to fit. You would think a .75 OD tube would be a perfect fit with a 1" tube with an 1/8"wall....It's simple math!.......just try it mister.... so i started to make couplings
20180207_131043.jpg thats 1"OD stainless inside of an aluminum machined coupling, the 1" stainless has a 1/8" wall and is still a 1/16" over .75" go figure... hold on it's coming!
this next one is the home brew clamps........round peg in a square hole anyone?
20180122_191211.jpg This is about when Dave offered some more help.
I thought this next one may help someone.
20180206_161434.jpg

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, kudos to @AquaticLifeProducts for being so receptive to feedback and active with these types of threads. Other (far more expensive) manufacturers should be taking notes.
I couldn't agree more! ....BTW this was from my HYBRID diy thread ....... Aquatic Life Is really trying to to hit every note with this and everything they do. Very Rare in the manufacturing business,
Generally its take it or leave it! again KUDO's
Direction that I'm going? I went to Alro Steel! they are one of the largest metals, plastics, and industrial suppliers in the area and I just noticed in Florida as well as the Great lakes basin. They have an outlet store by my work and its a candy store for DIYERS and a EBAY outlet check them out, they took good care of me! http://www.alro.com/metalsoutlet/
20180206_150328.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I came away with and it's a perfect fit.....Note the tube sizing and wall thickness..........and of course some goodies from the guys!
On another note they had some Heavy walled steel tubing @ $10 per 10 foot, it had a nice finish and could be painted if cost was a concern and I have bent steel tube so you could make the whole thing in one piece and
you could probably hang a VW on it.
20180207_135403.jpg
20180207_135412.jpg

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180206_183544.jpg Getting started
20180206_185037.jpg I picked this up awhile ago sweet little assortment
20180206_185030.jpg OK If you seen any of my post you will have noticed Cool Tools, This is one of the best time savers and blessings to come around, DRILL & TAP all in one.
20180206_190733.jpg
I cut the 7/8" tube into 4" sections and drilled and tapped for 8-32's the center screw is a hard stop, also you can see I had to hit the halo tube with a file, there was a heavy bead of paint and it is some tough stuff the other tube fit fine, snug

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next I started to assemble
20180206_192204.jpg
Now in this pick you can see just the stand mount if you have a closed back stand and have to screw to the back of your stand. Now if your good with a ruler you can drill from inside your cabinet and threw bolt to the back with out moving your tank but you will need someone to hold a wrench back there while you tighten from the inside cabinet.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the finished support before tank mounting, I still need to pickup some eye-bolts for the cable...something on the small side maybe #10
20180206_192105.jpg

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hang with two Kessil arms, it doesn’t weigh much!!
Looking good..I would love to do what you did .....I have a marineland tank, the glass is half of yours. If I ever upgrade I will go rimless.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brackets worked like a charm, the tubing is not as solid as I would have liked. I should have ordered a heavier walled stock, or steel but It does work. I don't care for the cable system so I will get a system from the shop monday and hang the fixture.
The only trouble I had mounting was tightening the set screws on the uprights and thumbscrews would be nice for that. I also had to pull the sump as far forward to gain the clearance needed for that side. the screws are
plastic and if needed I was going to trim them down but it wasn't necessary.
20180209_165434.jpg
20180209_165502.jpg
20180209_165516.jpg 20180209_165526.jpg

Back