Aquatop Recife ECO 40 Gallon

flyhpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background

I last had a saltwater tank in 2001. It was a 55 gallon FOWLR tank that was pretty simple. I had a porcupine puffer that I absolutely loved. He passed away and I shut down and sold the tank when I moved.

In 2015 I purchased a 90 gallon tank. It was a tall, so it was 36 X 24 X24. I then picked up a 40 breeder and had a custom sump made. My next mistake was to then try and make my own custom stand. I spent the next three years slowly working on the stand. Another move and everything sat crated up in my garage for two years. I finally pulled everything out in July and started on the stand once more. After a few weeks, I decided to throw in the towel and sell everything.

The New Start

On September 4th I stopped at AquaTek Tropical Fish on a whim. They had the Aquatop on display in the store. I thought I could pick up some rock, sand, and a heater and have just a simple reef tank. I went home and started doing research about the tank and the AIO setup. I found the video series from Rico's Aquariums where his wife purchased the same tank. I discussed the purchase with my wife and she agreed with the idea.

I went back the next day to buy the tank. I was offered the display model but decided to order one in the box for ease of transport. Instead, I walked out of the store 44 pounds of rock and 15 gallons of RO/DI water. While waiting for the tank to come in I worked on my aquascape. I didn't want a pile of rocks but I was unable to envision a negative space aquascape that is the rage right now.

20200909_192359.jpg
20200912_180123.jpg

None of the designs I came up with ended up being used. I made my tape lines too big because I didn't measure the actual available area.

I will work to update this build thread as I have time.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The wait for the tank is one of the hardest!

You're off to a great start and I can't wait to see it full when you get it!!

OP
OP
flyhpr

flyhpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Money Train Leaves The Station

My original plan was to keep this a budget build. That went out the window after a weekend of research. I placed my first order with BRS for a titanium heater, bulkhead, and tubing. They didn't have everything I needed so an order with SWA was placed. I picked up a Red Sea test kit, refractometer, and locline.

Before even picking up the tank I purchased a Tunze 1073.008 recirculation pump to replace the included pump with the tank. I also got a Tunze nanostream 6020 to provide flow across the bottom and through my aquascape. Last, but not least, was a Tunze Osmolator since they had one left in stock.

The Tank Comes Home

It only took a few days for the tank to arrive and I brought it home on the 10th. The trip also included 20 pounds of CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Sand and more RO/DI water.

Once the car was unloaded I got the stand put together. I am happy with the quality of the stand for the price point of the tank and stand.
20200910_232327.jpg

The design of the return is a hardline with an elbow through a simple hole in the filtration divider terminating in some knockoff locline. I used the information I learned from Rico's video and drilled it out and installed a 1/2 inch Thread x Slip bulkhead.

20200911_134338.jpg
20200911_171513.jpg
20200911_171529.jpg

Next up is my attempt at aquascaping and getting everything wet.

Ls7corvete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, I hope you replace that media with marinepure and some other options. Is the dimensions of the display portion 21"x21"x21" or does that include the filter portion?

I love the pics I see on here of the 60 cube, but at the moment I am not loving my sump.

OP
OP
flyhpr

flyhpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display area is 21" x 18" x 21". I am using the ceramic rings, but not the other media that was included. I didn't know about MarinePure when I set the tank up. I will take a look at adding them to the other media trays.

Cordel L Garrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Money Train Leaves The Station

My original plan was to keep this a budget build. That went out the window after a weekend of research. I placed my first order with BRS for a titanium heater, bulkhead, and tubing. They didn't have everything I needed so an order with SWA was placed. I picked up a Red Sea test kit, refractometer, and locline.

Before even picking up the tank I purchased a Tunze 1073.008 recirculation pump to replace the included pump with the tank. I also got a Tunze nanostream 6020 to provide flow across the bottom and through my aquascape. Last, but not least, was a Tunze Osmolator since they had one left in stock.

The Tank Comes Home

It only took a few days for the tank to arrive and I brought it home on the 10th. The trip also included 20 pounds of CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Sand and more RO/DI water.

Once the car was unloaded I got the stand put together. I am happy with the quality of the stand for the price point of the tank and stand.
20200910_232327.jpg

The design of the return is a hardline with an elbow through a simple hole in the filtration divider terminating in some knockoff locline. I used the information I learned from Rico's video and drilled it out and installed a 1/2 inch Thread x Slip bulkhead.

20200911_134338.jpg
20200911_171513.jpg
20200911_171529.jpg

Next up is my attempt at aquascaping and getting everything wet.
What size drill saw you use, I want to do the same things

mherb24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your tank coming along? I have the same tank, didn't drill it out...wish I had known about bulk heads before setting it up.

I am only 2 months in and struggling with the lack of light controls. Have you upgraded the lights or kept the stock led? I'm hoping to have some SPS in the future, but I don't see it with this light.

Colecolecole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you go to 1/2 hole ? I’m about to redo mine and just curious if I should stick with size it is or go bigger. What is it stock like 1/4 inch ?
I guess I can drain it down to that hole
And then drill it out

Back