Aqueon 75 Gallon From Petco All Sides Tempered?

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found out the hard way mine is tempered glass. Petco told me it wasn’t and they were nice enough to give me a gift card for the price. Reading on aqueon it only says the bottom is temper but then it says if they are running low on glass they may switch to tempered.

7AE29B32-8998-4542-A982-DDC9C72D831A.jpeg

Yep. Same happened to me with a 75g from them last year. Glad you got your money back! I wasnt so lucky.

CowabungaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it not seem tempered when you checked it with the polarised glasses trick?
I found this thread too late. Didn’t know about that. Just went by there being a stamp on the bottom that said tempered and the website saying the bottom is tempered. So figured by that the sides were good. Definitely going to use that truck today when I look for my replacement tank

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 yrs ago when I bought my Aqueon 75g my lfs told me all panels were tempered. So I bought an overflow box and modified to the bean animal. How do I find out if its tempered when it's full of water? I know this thread is old but maybe I get lucky. If not I'll just drain some and do the laptop trick

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom glass today has a mark showing it's tempered. All the sizes don't have that mark. Petco confirmed that only the bottom glass is tempered, showing that mark. Perhaps today they are selling their 75gal. with only the bottom glass tempered as a rule.
1665823084590.png

1665823101648.png

Last edited:

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test it before you drill. Aqueon is pretty much unpredictable in which sides are tempered or not. The only one guaranteed is the bottom. I've got one and was able to drill the back safely, but I did test first.

SeanShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom glass today has a mark showing it's tempered. All the sizes don't have that mark. Petco confirmed that only the bottom glass is tempered, showing that mark. Perhaps today they are selling their 75gal. with only the bottom glass tempered as a rule.
1665823084590.png

1665823101648.png
Did you drill your tank? Successful?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There you go!
Aqueon will tell you they will not warranty or condone drilling.

Whether the glass is tempered or not is also something they can’t and won’t tell you over the phone as they aren’t consistent about it. They fabricate out of any glass they have to hand on a given day as long as it meets their strength requirements for the tank - including varying thickness from one tank to the next as long as the thinner thickness (and temper) is OK.

You’ve got to either test the glass using the polarization methods (and then void your warranty when you drill) or use a siphon overflow.

Bear in mind not all computer screen types work these days, the newer phone screens aren’t polarized.

JayD976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the sunglasses trick on my Aqueon 75 tank and the sides blacked out. Unfortunately, so did the bottom which is supposed to be tempered… so idk what to think.

Mine to has the sticker at bottom that says “do not drill glass enclosure.” I got the tank in 2017.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the sunglasses trick on my Aqueon 75 tank and the sides blacked out. Unfortunately, so did the bottom which is supposed to be tempered… so idk what to think.

Mine to has the sticker at bottom that says “do not drill glass enclosure.” I got the tank in 2017.
The view with the glasses can be confusing. Go look at the glass on your car, test the drivers window. I know its tempered, you can see the layer of silicone or what ever they put in it. This will give you more info to what your looking at.

Edit: the windshield is not what you need to test. The door glass is tempered.

JayD976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The view with the glasses can be confusing. Go look at the glass on your car, test the drivers window. I know its tempered, you can see the layer of silicone or what ever they put in it. This will give you more info to what your looking at.

Edit: the windshield is not what you need to test. The door glass is tempered.
Yeah I already did that as I said before. There was no difference between the car windows and my fish tank. They all blacked out with my glasses. Hence I don’t trust that method and won’t drill the tank.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't go by the black out, you can actually see the layer between the glass, my aqeon 40b blacked out, but did not see the layering. I drilled the back just fine. but its your tank, your choice. I don't call myself a professional

Jeff K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found out the hard way mine is tempered glass. Petco told me it wasn’t and they were nice enough to give me a gift card for the price. Reading on aqueon it only says the bottom is temper but then it says if they are running low on glass they may switch to tempered.

7AE29B32-8998-4542-A982-DDC9C72D831A.jpeg
I had the same thing happen…….pure disappointment.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back