Aragonite and Goby

TheDorkLord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thanks for looking,

I have looked a bit and I am just not too clear on this. Is the Aragonite substrate (from p*tco and pictured below) small enough and safe for a juvenile sand sifting goby? I know it is larger than most sand granuales and a full grown adult seems to be sifting similar sized substrate at my lfs but, I would like to know for sure and they seem iffy on a definite answer. Thanks

1585846517005.png

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sand is fine...You might want to make sure you have a screen on top of your tank, as goby's are known to be jumpers.
I lost mine when i woke up and found him on rug...even with screen they can fit through the smallest places..

RudyvandenBerg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sand is fine...You might want to make sure you have a screen on top of your tank, as goby's are known to be jumpers.
I lost mine when i woke up and found him on rug...even with screen they can fit through the smallest places..

I have had a few of them from juvenile over the years and currently my goby - "Mumbles" - was raised to his current size on it.

OP
OP
TheDorkLord

TheDorkLord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thanks for the warning about jumping. I haven't decided between eggcrate, screen, glass, or acrylic, but I am going to use a top of some kind

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the smallest clear mesh you can find. You will not block much light and fish will not escape and it is very breathable and easily replaceable. JMO and E

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the smallest clear mesh you can find. You will not block much light and fish will not escape and it is very breathable and easily replaceable. JMO and E
I find if you use glass, the tank will not vent gas exchange to good,and your light might cause your tank temp to fluctuate a lot. Heat up when light is on...etc

OP
OP
TheDorkLord

TheDorkLord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, I've been researching the use of an air pump to create positive pressure and fresh air under the lid, to promote gas exchange and stifle evaporation. Not sure how sold on it I am yet

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, I've been researching the use of an air pump to create positive pressure and fresh air under the lid, to promote gas exchange and stifle evaporation. Not sure how sold on it I am yet
I ordered a 3 fan aquarium,hob fan...mount on tank top side or back...hope it works good..

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how that would work, but if its a battery air pump it will be good for adding air and circulation to tank if power go's out..added safty... :)

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back