Are 3 Chromis in 30G tank too much

MarSch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a 30G FOWLR tank which currently has 2 x Perc clowns, 1 x lemonpeel dwarf angel, 1 x mandarin.

Would adding 3 x Blue Green Chromis be too much for this tank? It does have a fair bit of open water for swimming around.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like quite the heavy bioload for that tank, but it's possible. I'm slightly less concerned about bioload though and more worried about your mandarin. Your chromis will compete with your mandarin for pods, so keep this in mind.

OP
OP
M

MarSch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The mandarin is eating frozen shrimp thankfully.

But may hold off on getting the chromis for the bioload reason.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis are almost all the time Infected with uronema. So qt them thoroughly otherwise it's a nasty bug to rid out of a tank.
There is no fallow. No fishless remedy not much will kill it unless bleached.
3 in a 30 is not much of an increase in bio load. They are very small fish and wont impact a whole lot. Fish doesnt produce ammonia in large quantities at once so your beneficial bacteria will grow and compensate. Just feed a little extra few days prior to adding so additional bacteria is present.

OP
OP
M

MarSch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thanks for the advice!

I'm in New Zealand, so all fish is imported in by the wholesaler/retailer and then QT'ed before being put up for sale. I'll double check their QT procedure before buying. Thanks again!

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good formalin bath and food soaked in metronidazole and metronidazole bath are just the only few things that can rid uronema.

OP
OP
M

MarSch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked, the LFS has had them for 4 weeks and no issues. They also said:
" New Zealand has a mandatory quarantine period that is supervised by Ministry for Primary Industries before we can sell any of the fish. Our processes are some of the hardest biosecurity standards in the world. Hence why fish and coral in NZ are more expensive than in the US. "

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back