are 300 series maxspect gyre dry side magnets waterproof?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen multiple people mount maxispect gyres seemingly on their overflow but it may be on the back glass regardless, I'm researching a tank upgrade and the tank has a rear ato reservoir built in behind the tank. Would it be safe to mount a gyre xf330 on the back pane where the dry side would be submerged in rodi water?
Would this effect the water or the magnet or both?

for reference the tank is a cade pro reef s2 1500

ScottieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, I use a Octo Pulse dry side submerged inside my center overflow and I know folks that have done so with other dry side magnets. I would wonder about submerging it in the RO water however? I know salt water can be pretty corrosive by itself but pure RO water is like a dry sponge and the slightest little contaminant will leach in.

But... if it's completely sealed and basically an inert plastic housing I imagine it would be OK. Hopefully someone with specific Gyre experience will help out cause I would hate to give you bad info. I can only tell you I have magnets submerged in tank water for over a year and submit ICP tests on the regular, so far so good.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, I use a Octo Pulse dry side submerged inside my center overflow and I know folks that have done so with other dry side magnets. I would wonder about submerging it in the RO water however? I know salt water can be pretty corrosive by itself but pure RO water is like a dry sponge and the slightest little contaminant will leach in.

But... if it's completely sealed and basically an inert plastic housing I imagine it would be OK. Hopefully someone with specific Gyre experience will help out cause I would hate to give you bad info. I can only tell you I have magnets submerged in tank water for over a year and submit ICP tests on the regular, so far so good.
Thanks for the information, I’d think that if it’s safe to do it in the saltwater it would be okay in RO because the salts more corrosive and anything that would get leached would be in the water column for your icp tests which you said show nothing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back