Are 4 Radion xr15s G4 Pros enough?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my thought from the beginning even before the purchase of the RS 425, I went with the xr15 due to the fact that it was just that "flexible", I was able to space out to my liking. Also, knowing the fact that I may upgrade in the future to a bigger tank I was able to keep or add another xr15. But it was never on the horizon for a 30-33" wide tank, I knew that if an upgrade was to happen it would be longer tank per se'. But geezzz, once I saw that depth of a 33" tank I fell in love of the real estate, It may not seem like alot with the difference of 3" but it is, I was able to compare side by side. Thinking about the cons, it was given that the reach to the back of the tank was gonna be a slight challenge. But regardless, this upgrade will now sit on a 40" tall steel stand with a 24" tall tank. Id would just need a 2 step stool to fully manage the tank, and being 5'11 helps as well. Going back to your theory, Id like to keep lower light corals at the sides and on the sand bed and sps more concentrated in the mid center. What bogged me was that the xr15 only had a coverage of 24" vs the xr30 with a 30" coverage, I definitely over looked that part prior to the purchase. So moving forward, unless I find a smoking deal on three xr30's which probably wont happen till the holidays, Im going to ride these xr15"s and possibly add more. That or ditch the radions and get some orapheks LED panels??

The 30 is just two 15s tied together. Distinct advantages to two 15s over one 30.

OP
OP
C

charlie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure this will help butI have a 72x24x24 on order too and I am going with 5 xr15s and 4 T5s using the 61“ ATI Hybrid. I have been told T5s provide great coverage so I am hoping for the best of both worlds. The ATI fixture is priced fairly reasonably too.

Thanks Tom for the feed back, I just went over your build thread, have you received you r tank from CDA?

OP
OP
C

charlie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell different width end bars and light mounting bars so you can do this. I can't recall which size exactly you need, but the stores that carry the fixture can get the extended pieces to make it happen.

I didn't know that longer end plates were available for the aquatic life fixtures in order to sit the xr30's front to back...Which in essence the t5 bulbs will sit wider as well?

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tom for the feed back, I just went over your build thread, have you received you r tank from CDA?

Not yet. They have been backed up on the carpentry. They have made it right though. They are upgrading me to a stand to steel. Hopefully I will get the tank in about 3 to 4 weeks (fingers crossed).

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also mentioning more powerr bricks to deal with..

True and you also have to hang twice as many fixtures. But those are minor in my view. XR15s give you much greater positioning flexibility and the fans only run as needed (versus 24/7 on the XR30).

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for you input. Iv pretty much taking measurement and staring at the tank using my current 425, and definitely agree that the 4 xr15's will not suffice a 30 wide tank.
But rather than selling off the xr15's Id like to implement them some how, any ideas? You think buying 2 xr30's and have it alternate with the xr'15 or I can buy another track and staggering it?
Go with 6 XR15 pros (since you already have 4 of them). Run 2 rows of 3 units, spaced accordingly. Mount them a bit higher (say 9" to 12") if you can and / or use the diffusers. This will help reduce hot spots and will illuminate a slightly wider area. With the two rows, the 33" width will not be an issue as far as coverage, but the sides and very back (if painted black) will likely be a bit lower in par. If you know how you are going to do your aquascape, you can position your pucks accordingly, or you can even run certain units at higher intensities if needed. Of course, this all assumes you can mount the lights like this and don't mind dealing with the extra cords and power bricks.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 158 62.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.3%
Back