Are Acan Lords the Ultimate Coral?

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years Ive seen a lot of beautiful corals from all over the world. In the past 2 years, finally being an active participant in this hobby, Ive seen thousands and thousands of corals, and usually the best that type of coral has to offer.

Never before have I seen a coral that are consistently as breathtaking as Acan Lords.

So here is my tribute to my favorite corals in the ocean. Hes are a few of my favorites, all from my personal collection....and yes the blue ones with neon red coming through...they are blue, and no its not a photoshop trick. These were taken under actinics only, as it was 2am and didnt feel like firing up the halides.

For the LOVE OF GOD...I wish these things would shut their mouth, and stop being such pigs...ive found it nearly impossible to get them to retract there feeders.....

1.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

Palancar

Aussie Acan Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very nice collection. And to think years ago we used to get acans all the time, and never saw them for what the really were.

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are the ultimate coral. And they really reinvented themselves when all the new Aussies hit the hobby!!

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thing they are really something special. I cant think of another coral that is as hardy, easy to care for, colorful, and fast growing all at the same time.

I'm truly impressed that i can keep acan lords in a 8 gallon nano w/ PC lighting, and have just as much polyp extension and growth rate as I do in my main system.

Its always nice to find a coral that can be kept by nearly anyone successfully, and not limit itself to those who can have the expensive high end setups. How often is it something as cool as an acan? Usually the easy to keep are the bla corals like zenia, kenya trees etc...

Tankguy001

Reef Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are by far my favorite coral. The colors are incredible and I can't get enough of them. Your collection is very nice

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are my favorite coral as well. It is cool to me how very different each piece can be. Besides color, the polyp size, puffiness, the degree at which they turn "inside out" to feed etc. They are a wonderful coral.

Great pics junior and nice collection. Would love to see the pieces under daytime lights.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I would love to get pics durring the say too...chasing around my almost 3 year old, and a new baby its getting tough.

Im going to try and get some today.

They are my favorite coral as well. It is cool to me how very different each piece can be. Besides color, the polyp size, puffiness, the degree at which they turn "inside out" to feed etc. They are a wonderful coral.

Great pics junior and nice collection. Would love to see the pieces under daytime lights.

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question on the acan front. When they grow, do they produce their own skeleton like other LPS or do they spread onto surfaces like zoas/palys? The reason I ask is I have one that has a bunch of babies around the ring of my original frag. I just want to make sure that I don't need to provide space for it to grow onto.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you will need to give them a rock to grow over, as they develop they then form a skeleton beneath them (from what i can tell).

If you dont give them a rock to grow onto though, i can PROMISE they will look like an acan golf ball...ive got a few :mad:

Quick question on the acan front. When they grow, do they produce their own skeleton like other LPS or do they spread onto surfaces like zoas/palys? The reason I ask is I have one that has a bunch of babies around the ring of my original frag. I just want to make sure that I don't need to provide space for it to grow onto.

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you will need to give them a rock to grow over, as they develop they then form a skeleton beneath them (from what i can tell).

If you dont give them a rock to grow onto though, i can PROMISE they will look like an acan golf ball...ive got a few :mad:

Good to know. Guess I need to get some large discs or something to put them on....I don't want them permanently fixed to my rock work! :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What lights are you using bro?

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current lighting is 2 250watt HQI XM20k's w/ 2 48" super actinics for supplement. The XM20k's are SLIGHTLY more blue than a Phoenix 14k. wasn't was hoping for a more blue bulb, but am still very happy with how everything looks. As you can see they are VERY crisp white light overall in the tank, with a blue tinge. The fun really starts when the halides go off.

What lights are you using bro?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back