Are all acros loving led? Are coral enduring less par from led than T5/halides?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to run the LED more white and green some month, but it didn't match the t5. Also, some colors not show well with LEDs for example I had a very pink pocilopora from korallenzucht ,very nice under t5 you can see him, also a yellow coral, but with the LED even if I run them white they look horrible no pink at all and the yellow turn green after some time.to see a bit the nice color, I have to turn all blue channel to zero and just keep the whites. Which is probably not the best spectrum for my corals?and to not use half of the leds.. With t5 even if I run them white I'm still sure to get enough blue.
Led are good to show the fluorescence if some corals, but that is it and if you look your corals under whites they look horrible, whereas t5 color most of them for real.
But I still hope that led improving to get the same results.
Not unexpected .. low cri and/or high K white leds are low in red and cyan.
Washes out colors really with the blue pump /yellowgreen phosphor

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which narrow spectrum?
aticomp.JPG

Orphek_Atlantik_v4_reef_spctrum.jpg

Depends how you run them..

That is not what I meant. I am arguing that, narrow spectrum lights are more stressful at higher par levels than said par being distributed across a wider spectrum. I stated it doesn't appear to be the source of light that causes the issue. I am not stating one source better than another for high intensities, but rather the distribution of the intensity across colors.

This would be an example of what I would call poor color distribution (i.e. red sea's light). Here we can see that the light intensity rests heavily on one small wavelength range. I suspect that this, at high intensities, causes stress on the zooxanthellae's photopigments as, rather than said intensity being distributed across various wavelengths and photopigments, it is being heavily loaded at those that have greater sensitivity to this tiny spectral range.

1650312041931.png

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not what I meant. I am arguing that, narrow spectrum lights are more stressful at higher par levels than said par being distributed across a wider spectrum. I stated it doesn't appear to be the source of light that causes the issue. I am not stating one source better than another for high intensities, but rather the distribution of the intensity across colors.

This would be an example of what I would call poor color distribution (i.e. red sea's light). Here we can see that the light intensity rests heavily on one small wavelength range. I suspect that this, at high intensities, causes stress on the zooxanthellae's photopigments as, rather than said intensity being distributed across various wavelengths and photopigments, it is being heavily loaded at those that have greater sensitivity to this tiny spectral range.

1650312041931.png
Any different than this?
Look you could be right, in a sense. I don' t know. Nobody does.
Distribution ( lenses,blending ect ) seems more important than narrow spectrums.
Narrow or wide if concentrated may cause an issue.
Btw the " white" of the mh is mostly from green blue and amber output
(RGB)

f2fig3.jpg

5 pigments have peak absorptions at 450- ish.
CCM-1-4.png

There maybe some nuance that matters ..but ..

Last edited:

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oreo, you really need to get rid of that terrestrial plant graph. Chlorophyll B is a non-player.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CCM-1-4.png

Coral photosynthesis is accomplished by Chlorophyll A, C2 and beta-carotene, peridinin and xanthrophylls (diadinoxanthin and diatoxanthin). If you use blue LEDs in the 450 and 475n regions, you're hitting the two maximum absorption peaks.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wondered about using 450nm, because chlorophyll A's peak is at about 430nm and is almost gone by 450nm.
Small warning, where the peak is is dependent on the solvent used to extract it or in live tissue.
Seely, G. R. and R. G. Jensen (1965) Effect of solvent on the spectrum of chlorophyll. Spectrochim. Acta 21, 1835-1845.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fucoxanthin is in corals? I thought it was in microalgae.
Happy?

Absorption-spectra-of-the-five-zooxanthellae-pigments-in-respect-to-both-spectral.png

Well something IS amiss...

dia.JPG

First chart is mis-labelled AFAICT
Curve is correct.. Stuff happens..

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any different than this?
Look you could be right, in a sense. I don' t know. Nobody does.
Distribution ( lenses,blending ect ) seems more important than narrow spectrums.
Narrow or wide if concentrated may cause an issue.
Btw the " white" of the mh is mostly from green blue and amber output
(RGB)

f2fig3.jpg

CCM-1-4.png

Again, you are taking the wrong message from this. My idea is based off of Dana Riddle's work and why corals people appeared to bleach corals with leds and that in Dana's study, the MH allowed for the zooxanthellae to tolerate higher par levels before photoinhibitom kicks in. My argument is that, in his study, he used a very narrow spectrum led and the metal halide. He also noted missing a certain kind of red prevents the zooxanthellae from offsetting light stress with their photosystems. If you look at plants, they also use a red/blue combo for photosynthesis to overcome physics issues (sci show has a neat video on this).

My point is that, those who have struggled to achieve similar par values with leds compared to those with t5 or metal halide setups (i.e. par at 600 or so) may be doing so because many leds or fixtures have very narrow spectrums. Again, the examples you provide are not relevant to what I am saying. I am not saying that there are not narrow t5 or mh bulbs or that there are not wide spectrum leds. I am am led fan myself and think the other two technologies are outdated. BUT, I think that, if someone wants to achieve par levels of 600, they need to achieve that with a more balanced color spectrum rather than 80% of that intensity coming from small blue (particularly in the case of leds with narrow spectrums) . I hypothesize that some mechanism of photosynthesis is stressed when light intensity is focused into a small range of wavelength vs distributed across a wider color range. One could test this by comparing the photosaturation points of the same coral (frags from the same colony and part of the colony) under the same par level but have all colors output the same par under one.

Again I'm using a lot of generalized statements without detail as I don't really have time to write a paper on this lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back