Are all frozen fish foods (brands) created equal?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use San Francisco Bay Brand Frozen Marine Cuisine Cubes. Not for any particular reason. My fish like it and it's available at Pet Smart. Are there better foods out there and if so why is it better? Or is all frozen fish food basically the same?

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As above. They are not created equal. I used Rod's and sometimes LRS when I can't find Rod's. Lately, LFS keep increasing the prices ($20 initially to $30 depending on LFS) on them so I started making my own. It's actually pretty fun and I enjoy selecting what I think is important for my reef.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above. They are not created equal. I used Rod's and sometimes LRS when I can't find Rod's. Lately, LFS keep increasing the prices ($20 initially to $30 depending on LFS) on them so I started making my own. It's actually pretty fun and I enjoy selecting what I think is important for my reef.
Wow! That's boss level when you start making your own. I'm definitely not there yet. I'll have to do some research on these other brands. I'm not sure what reasons to pick certain brands over others. Outside of the food type/variety. Is the nutrition better? Less harmful things in the food? Better for your tank?

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That's boss level when you start making your own. I'm definitely not there yet. I'll have to do some research on these other brands. I'm not sure what reasons to pick certain brands over others. Outside of the food type/variety. Is the nutrition better? Less harmful things in the food? Better for your tank?
I use a few different Rods brand foods, Hikari mysis and Hikari spirulina brine shrimp.

Upvote 0

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Feeding is a big topic in this hobby and you will get different answer from everyone. From my perspective, LRS and Rod's are two of the top competitors and equally good in ingredients and quality.

Why do I prefer Rod's?
1. People I trust uses it for their fish
2. Texture of the food
3. Company with history and has been around for some time
3. Easily available at LFS and online vendors

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding is a big topic in this hobby and you will get different answer from everyone. From my perspective, LRS and Rod's are two of the top competitors and equally good in ingredients and quality.

Why do I prefer Rod's?
1. People I trust uses it for their fish
2. Texture of the food
3. Company with history and has been around for some time
3. Easily available at LFS and online vendors
Helpful info. Thx! I’ll be looking for these brands when I hit the LFS this weekend.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back