Are all mysis the same?

TheClemsonKid20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano tank (≈28 gal) with a bonded pair of Darwin clownfish, purple dottyback, Linear Blenny, Skunk cleaner and a clean up crew. I’ve been feeding a pellet/hatchery diet, and tried to supplement with frozen mysis every other day or so. The issue, is that all the livestock seem to want to eat it, but 80% of the time they just puff it out. Then it just floats around until inevitably becoming nitrates at the end of the day.

So my question. Is all frozen mysis created equal? I would think if it were good, they’d actually eat it? And not puff it out? Or is there a special way to prepare/feed? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano tank (≈28 gal) with a bonded pair of Darwin clownfish, purple dottyback, Linear Blenny, Skunk cleaner and a clean up crew. I’ve been feeding a pellet/hatchery diet, and tried to supplement with frozen mysis every other day or so. The issue, is that all the livestock seem to want to eat it, but 80% of the time they just puff it out. Then it just floats around until inevitably becoming nitrates at the end of the day.

So my question. Is all frozen mysis created equal? I would think if it were good, they’d actually eat it? And not puff it out? Or is there a special way to prepare/feed? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I occasionally feed it to give them something different every few weeks. I find with the ones I purchase, they are actually quite large in size, and was seeing same. I tried defrosting and chopping it up really fine seems to work better

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago my buddy and I did some test of various types of fish food (dry and frozen) and found that some contain a lot higher phosphate than others. I can't remember the exact brands we tested but PE mysis was one of the ones with the lowest PO4 readings

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You sound like me, for some reason I felt my fish were weird because they didn't like mysis, I tried a few different brands, eventually my LFS got some P.E Mysis in at 4 times the cost of the other Mysis, my fish loved it!!....no I'm kicking they hated it equally as much as all the rest, so much so I binned the full packet, with only 2 cubes used.

Loads of amazing frozen foods out there, do yourself a favour and try some of those, nothing special about Mysis, some even say it's not a great food anyway as I believe most come from fresh waters so not natural for salt water fish but that's a whole other conversation.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my fish liked mysis. Until they all liked mysis. It just happened all of a sudden that they all went crazy for mysis. Even my tiny pink streaked wrasse will charge in for big chunks. No idea what changed.

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE Mysis is one of the best, if not THE best frozen food you can get imo.

I would mix it with what ever your fish are eagerly eating and gradually they will learn to love it.

Also, you might want to take a closer look at what they are spitting out. My CBB will eat a whole mysis but then spit out the shell after manipulating it in his mouth for a bit.

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Try garlic guard in it

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are not eating it then you may be overfeeding them? If they are hungry they will not be picky, ime.

batfish5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mysis and always soak the cubes overnite with Selcon and feed when ready too. Omega One is the brand I use.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the frozen brine shrimp from time to time, plus flake food. The larger clown has no problem eating brine, but my small Clown and 2 Blue Firefish Goby only go after the smallest pieces of brine shrimp. I purchased a small container of freeze dried mysis shrimp . Some pieces are so small, they are like dust. The larger pieces, only the large Clown will eat, even after soaking. So I tossed it..

When any fish will take food in then spit it out, they are full already. They just get so excited, they take it in

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FYI- PE mysis are usually quite a bit larger than other frozen mysis so might be too large for those fish to try to eat.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the same as an earlier post about spitting out the shells. My Copperband does that. If it's just the shell and no shrimp tissue he spits it out. I've used both Hikari and PE. I only use the Hikari now. The Hikari is much cleaner and requires much less rinsing in comparison to the PE. They also seem to eat more of it and spit out less telling me there's more empty shells in the PE.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back