Are all star polyps invasive? Or just GSP?

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, searching for my first corals to purchase and I've heard the GSP can take over... but what about other star polyps like this kaleidoscope one?

They are so cool looking to me. And I really like stuff with lots of movement.

Thanks!

Screenshot_20211026-120259_Chrome.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Most are . Cloves and sympodium very invasive

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most are . Cloves and sympodium very invasive
Thanks, that was my guess.

Anything you would recommend that are similar in looks/movement but not invasive.

Been looking at duncans.. anything with the tentacle look is very cool to me.

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of those are just variations of gsp, so will spread the same. Maybe more maybe less. Generally all the Xenias will spread like weeds eventually.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP tend to mat.. therefore they are a little easier to control.. put them on a rock by themselves that doesnt touch anything, and you can cut them back when needed. some polyps (like the (my) dreaded brown star polyps "vine". They cover in between and around stuff.. they can also release polyps that float around, land elsewhere.. they are a plague!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anything you would recommend that are similar in looks/movement but not invasive.

Been looking at duncans.. anything with the tentacle loom is very cool to me.
Euphilia and Duncan aren’t too hard to keep, just need an established system. Long polyp leathers have an anemone like look.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphilia and Duncan aren’t too hard to keep, just need an established system. Long polyp leathers have an anemone like look.

Any thoughts on these?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211026-123351_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-123351_Chrome.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20211026-123336_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-123336_Chrome.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 57

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on these?
Plate coral gets pretty big and needs lots of space, I don’t remember the specifics other than them not being that easy. Something like a litho (close relative) has a similar look and is much more forgiving.
Sun coral is related to Duncan, but rather than photosynthesize it needs direct feedings. They are one of the harder common corals, not very beginner friendly.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plate coral gets pretty big and needs lots of space, I don’t remember the specifics other than them not being that easy. Something like a litho (close relative) has a similar look and is much more forgiving.
Sun coral is related to Duncan, but rather than photosynthesize it needs direct feedings. They are one of the harder common corals, not very beginner friendly.

K thanks again! I'll keep looking,

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the GSP look but less invasive. You can get a pipe organ coral.

1635270241098.png

Ok thanks, seems like someone in another thread told me to avoid them as well... but yeah, I love that look.

Trying to stick with softies or easy lps. Thinking of getting three or four to start with. Duncan, Ricordea, and??? I like the bubble corals too.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, seems like someone in another thread told me to avoid them as well... but yeah, I love that look.

Trying to stick with softies or easy lps. Thinking of getting three or four to start with. Duncan, Ricordea, and??? I like the bubble corals too.
Shrooms (like rics) are generally very easy to keep alive. Duncan is one of the easiest lps and doesn’t have a powerful sting either.
Bubbles are like Aussie torches, pretty easy care, but can go downhill fast if something goes wrong. I’d start with frogspawn or branching hammer as a first euphilia, as they are the easiest of them.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrooms (like rics) are generally very easy to keep alive. Duncan is one of the easiest lps and doesn’t have a powerful sting either.
Bubbles are like Aussie torches, pretty easy care, but can go downhill fast if something goes wrong. I’d start with frogspawn or branching hammer as a first euphilia, as they are the easiest of them.

Ok, great thanks. Love the look of both of those euphilias!

Now just to find somebody that has some of these in stock. Lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Been looking at duncans.. anything with the tentacle look is very cool to me.
Xenia but they either stay in place as mine does or they start to move along the tank

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, have heard xenia can really take over. Think I'm gonna avoid those, although they seem really neat.
I really like Xenia, so I don’t have a problem with it all over. Easy to remove to make new real estate. Like gsp it does well if on a rock away from the rest.
Ok, great thanks. Love the look of both of those euphilias!

Now just to find somebody that has some of these in stock. Lol.
Most lfs will usually have at least a few, one of the more popular corals at the moment.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the GSP look but less invasive. You can get a pipe organ coral.

1635270241098.png
Agree here... not invasive, fairly easy care. Beautiful coral once colony is started. Lost mine a few months back but only from a high temp issue in middle of summer with AC out for a few days.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like Xenia, so I don’t have a problem with it all over. Easy to remove to make new real estate. Like gsp it does well if on a rock away from the rest.

Most lfs will usually have at least a few, one of the more popular corals at the moment.

Thanks, I really like the way xenia looks. If I added it later on would it grow over/block out things? Or just take up free real estate?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I really like the way xenia looks. If I added it later on would it grow over/block out things? Or just take up free real estate?
It may attempt to grow on something, but stinging corals like torches show where it isn’t welcome. It’s really easy to just pluck off when you don’t want it somewhere.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back