Are anthias on live aquaria too expensive?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They used to be the price leader and the reason to buy via internet over local. Now they are just an expensive online low quality LFS. Whats sad is all the negative changes came after they were bought out by a fish importer company (so the prices should be even better since they are the source now)

They sell fish for 800$ that I have purchased for 300$...

But hey, at least we all still source their fish 'quick stats' lol

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say group how many are you considering. May I suggest rather than lyretailed you look at Scribbled (bimacularis) I have found them more tolerant of others than lyretailed and IMO much more colourful.

May I ask what other fish you have in the tank and how is is decorated. I have found anthias get easily stressed if there isn't enough sleeping spaces or big robust fish blundering about.

I have also found the more anthias you have (within reason!) the easier it is to keep them but don't crowd them- I have over 60 (5 different species) in my 550 gall, I feed 3 times per day, callanus, micro pellets and mixed frozen.

As for cost I'm afraid I can't comment that is for you to decide. I will say one thing anthias are not a fish I would buy 'blind' there are just too many variables about them which can go wrong.
What species are you keeping?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P. sqummapinis, P. ignitus, P. bimacularis, P.evansii, P. pulcherrimus. I have recently added 6 x P.parvirostris to the mix.

Hows your experience with P. Evansi been? I kept a mixed group of P. Dispar and P. Ignitus for years previously. I've been considering a different species this time around.

Nice group by the way!

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very mixed with Evansii, dependent where they come from. In the UK we have a 'main' importer- Tropical Marine Centre. The Evensii I got via them didn't do very well, they never really fed properly and faded away. When my LFS imported directly I found they fared much better. The only reason I can think is those that are imported via TMC spend more time in various holding systems, lose condition and many never recover. TMC, I understand, also use copper and run a lower salinity in their fish systems. The direct imports are 'fresher' and haven't lost condition. But If I'm honest I'm guessing, I have no idea but I can't think of any other reason.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back