Are any of the captive bred Dottybacks safe with snails and hermits?

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 15g with quite a lot of rockwork, and I thought it would make a nice home for a single Orchid or Sunrise Dottyback. However, I added snails and hermits to the tank, and I am now understanding that there is a good chance they will dissapear with a dotty on the scene.

I like the idea of going captive bred after too many bad experiences working in an LFS growing up. Dottybacks seem very interesting in tanks full of caves.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 15g with quite a lot of rockwork, and I thought it would make a nice home for a single Orchid or Sunrise Dottyback. However, I added snails and hermits to the tank, and I am now understanding that there is a good chance they will dissapear with a dotty on the scene.

I like the idea of going captive bred after too many bad experiences working in an LFS growing up. Dottybacks seem very interesting in tanks full of caves.

I can't speak for the dottyback but since you mentioned captive bred have you considered the royal gramma? Biota has them if others report back invert issue.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you seen ornate dottybacks? if they're snail-safe (I don't know that for certain), might be worth getting; they're lovely little things with bright eyes.

Aren't dottybacks normally a problem for molting crabs and shrimp, not for snails and hermits that can retreat into shells?

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for the dottyback but since you mentioned captive bred have you considered the royal gramma? Biota has them if others report back invert issue.
I haven't been able to find one in stock here in Canada, at least not one labelled "Captive Bred" or something of that sort. I would actually prefer the RG as I have kept them before and really enjoy their personality.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been able to find one in stock here in Canada, at least not one labelled "Captive Bred" or something of that sort. I would actually prefer the RG as I have kept them before and really enjoy their personality.

I missed the Canada part, I'm sorry. Not as in sorry Canada is bad but sorry as I missed it and they may not be available!

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked J&L aquatics in BC and they don't have any. They usually do, give them a call and they'll let you know when they're getting more orchards in stock.

If I ordered one in the winter time and UPS left it outside without even knocking or ringing the doorbell and the little guy didn't make it. I picked one up down in North Dakota and brought it back in the truck and he's such a curious fish and can be quite comical watching him all the time.

Back