Are "aquarium results" a good measure of success in this hobby? Are you successful?

What is a good measure of success in this hobby? Choose all that apply!

• Tank Grown Coral Colonies

Votes: 352 75.7%
  • Colorful Corals

Votes: 258 55.5%
  • In Tank Coral Reproducing

Votes: 222 47.7%
  • Coralline Algae

Votes: 190 40.9%
  • Established Tank Time

Votes: 162 34.8%
  • Healthy Fish

Votes: 310 66.7%
  • In Tank Fish Breeding

Votes: 154 33.1%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 28 6.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In just about everything in life we tend to measure being successful or unsuccessful by results. Can the same be applied in the saltwater reef aquarium hobby? Are "results" a true measure of success? What type of time frame should we consider? What are the results that point to success? Let's talk about it!

1. Would you consider "aquarium results" a good measure of success in this hobby?

2. What do successful "results" look like?
coral colonies, breeding fish, coralline algae, what are they?

3. What type of time frame should we consider when we're defining successful results? 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, what is it?

@Char lie reef progression
One Year.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success for me it’s just a tank we’re inverts and fish live happily, success shouldn’t be measured by the size of the sticks or how fast it will grow. As long as you got something that you happy with and can make it last for years to come, you are a success reefer imo

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success in reefing equals stability, imo.
If you have stability it makes everthing else fall in line.
Dont be in a hurry as success does not happen over night in this hobby.
Have a plan, set your parameters/goals, and enjoy.
Just like in life you will encounter bumps in your reefing journey.
Its how you deal with them that makes you the reefer and person you are.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a successful system is best defined as one in which the hobbyist is happy with their results for an amount of effort and resources that they desire to put into the system.

If you love the way the tank looks but hate the work that goes into it, you aren't successful.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you're happy.

When you start coraline might make you happy, or even waking up and seeing your fish and corals made it through the night!

Then you want your tank to be full.

Then producing frags for trades / sale / secondary tanks.

Happy fish are breeding.

Happy you can raise fish.

Happy you can raise high quality fish.

I chose everything except coraline, because I'm well past that point in my hobby journey. If you're new and that's where you're at, good for you. Hopefully you will continue to progress. Longevity is another one. Having your first fish or coral make it 5 years, then 10 years ect. While it's not a lifetime hobby for everyone, it is for many and while there is the odd outliner most people don't achieve what most would consider large scale success for several years or perhaps even longer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Would you consider "aquarium results" a good measure of success in this hobby?

Absolutely, What better way to know you are succeeding than success itself?

2. What do successful "results" look like?
coral colonies, breeding fish, coraline algae, what are they?

I think it depends on the tank. Each tank will have different success rates and measurements. Some basic ones I think would be healthy fish and corals. If you are keeping things happy and healthy I think you are, in all likelihood, doing well.

3. What type of time frame should we consider when we're defining successful results? 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, what is it?

I am not sure I would put a number on things. What is doing well for 6 months or 6 years can all of a sudden go south. I think it is more about the aquarist that the aquarium. What time we are willing to put into it rater than the time that has passed.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I chose other - all of the choices would make sense - but - mine would be I'm successful if I'm happy with looking at the tank - AND - doing the work required to maintain the tank. If I had to approach every chemical mixing or water change or whatever as a 'chore' - i.e. something to be avoided - I would not consider myself as being 'successful' - but rather 'stressed out'

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked other. I judge it based on my happiness with the tank. All those things mentioned obviously contribute heavily to that, but at the end of the day that's all I care about.

The biggest thing thus far that keeps me from being 100% happy is smaller tank size. Because I move often in the past I've kept my tanks under 30 gallons. But I just ordered a 180g display tank, so I'm hoping to have that part fixed next.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the tank look natural and realistic?

Success to me is if corals are growing fast and colorful, the tank is aquascaped well, it’s clean, and the corals in the tank go well together.

A lot of otherwise successful tanks look terrible to me because they don’t look natural.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back