Are "aquarium results" a good measure of success in this hobby? Are you successful?

What is a good measure of success in this hobby? Choose all that apply!

• Tank Grown Coral Colonies

Votes: 352 75.7%
  • Colorful Corals

Votes: 258 55.5%
  • In Tank Coral Reproducing

Votes: 222 47.7%
  • Coralline Algae

Votes: 190 40.9%
  • Established Tank Time

Votes: 162 34.8%
  • Healthy Fish

Votes: 310 66.7%
  • In Tank Fish Breeding

Votes: 154 33.1%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 28 6.0%

• Total voters

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with MnFish1. We keep aquariums because they give us joy, serenity, a sense of fulfillment or a multitude of other reasons. So if we eventually get what we are seeking from our aquariums, then it is a success. I say eventually because even seeming failures along the way can lead to success.

Here is an example; I have attempted to keep sps and acros in the past. For the most part I did not do well with them which led me to examine why. What I realized is I am an aquarist who prefers to operate by observation and intuitiveness. I like coral that move in the current. I love fish and inverts more than coral.

I am not inclined to disciplines like testing parameters. Now that I know that about myself I leave the sticks for others and I choose high nutrient loving coral that are more forgiving of parameters. Many of those coral wave with the flow. And I can enjoy more fish and inverts as they help me keep the nutrients high to supply my coral. I also incorporate macro algae because I like the lushness it brings to a tank and as long as I am feeding heavy, macros help keep nutrients in check. Finally a high nutrient tank that is in balance is relatively low maintenance and requires minimal equipment, (which is in keeping of my KISS philosophy). So learning about myself through my failure to be successful with sps and acros has led me to be successful with a high nutrient aquarium system, which is what I have now. I enjoy my display tank along with the basement fuge and sump that go with the system. Enjoying it is the measure of my success!

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can success be measured by how much enjoyment you derive from it? I’ve definitely had my ups and downs, but the problem solving is pleasant for me. My tank isn’t the best looking tank, but I’ve had a blast doing it, so that feels like success to me.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success to me only means one thing. OK two.

The first thing is all your animals only die of old age and you have no need for hospital tanks or medication.
The second thing is you like it.

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In just about everything in life we tend to measure being successful or unsuccessful by results. Can the same be applied in the saltwater reef aquarium hobby? Are "results" a true measure of success? What type of time frame should we consider? What are the results that point to success? Let's talk about it!

1. Would you consider "aquarium results" a good measure of success in this hobby?

2. What do successful "results" look like?
coral colonies, breeding fish, coraline algae, what are they?

3. What type of time frame should we consider when we're defining successful results? 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, what is it?

@Char lie reef progression
One Year.gif
Very subjective....success is your own happiness and gratitude you get from your tank...Nothing more, nothing less, at least in my opinion. Right now I am having success in that my tank is a work in progress. As much as I can envision the future, right now is all that matters in terms of helping pointing the tank in the right direction of being balanced enough to ward off the things we don’t want or need in our tank. So today! I am successful:)

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reading through these posts and I’m struck by how many people said some variation of how much happiness/enjoyment they get from the tank. Before I had kids, I use to coach competitive swimmers (some swam in the Olympic trials, so they were pretty good.) I noticed a pattern that my best swimmers just enjoyed being in the water. Their parents didn't pressure them to be there and didn’t care if they were beating their own times, as long as they enjoyed it. The whole goal was to have fun.

Then I had another group where they were decent and could have probably been much better, but just didn’t enjoy it to the same degree. Their parents were forcing them to do it and were constantly on them for not having better times and not working harder at practice. I think it made it seem like more of a chore for those kids. Way back then I decided that I’d never insist my kid do something they weren’t enjoying, because if they’re not enjoying it, they’re never going to meet their full potential.

I suspect it may be similar for our tanks. If you enjoy your tank, you’re more likely to work on it, resulting in better outcomes, reinforcing your enjoyment. I wonder what comes first. Success in the tank and thus enjoyment or enjoyment thus success.

van7271

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success for me it’s just a tank we’re inverts and fish live happily, success shouldn’t be measured by the size of the sticks or how fast it will grow. As long as you got something that you happy with and can make it last for years to come, you are a success reefer imo
Yes. Well said and totally agree!

Deaf clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Success to me is color and growth of the coral and fish. With that being said, I do believe the best way to learn is from failing or mishaps rather than starting from scratch just because of an algae problem steer your tank to over come that issue.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success is achieving whatever you set out to do with your tank. People focus too much on tank shots and not the procedure behind them. I think success to me is knowing how to handle any given problem that arises and intimately knowing your tank and reef aquarium ecosystems in general.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success? Well that’s subjective — lol—. The fact that we can keep these amazing creatures alive in a glass box - navigate thru all the real and fake information online- financially keep up with equipment and live stock- continue to move forward and learn and improve and grow - find peace in your reef tank- over come obstacles- and so much more: I think these are all measures of success- including everything above as well.

at the end of the day it’s like a game of golf: as long as you personally improve your own “game” and you are finding more enjoyment then disappointment in your tank - then I believe it’s a success!

HAPPY REEFING!

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reading through these posts and I’m struck by how many people said some variation of how much happiness/enjoyment they get from the tank. Before I had kids, I use to coach competitive swimmers (some swam in the Olympic trials, so they were pretty good.) I noticed a pattern that my best swimmers just enjoyed being in the water. Their parents didn't pressure them to be there and didn’t care if they were beating their own times, as long as they enjoyed it. The whole goal was to have fun.

Then I had another group where they were decent and could have probably been much better, but just didn’t enjoy it to the same degree. Their parents were forcing them to do it and were constantly on them for not having better times and not working harder at practice. I think it made it seem like more of a chore for those kids. Way back then I decided that I’d never insist my kid do something they weren’t enjoying, because if they’re not enjoying it, they’re never going to meet their full potential.

I suspect it may be similar for our tanks. If you enjoy your tank, you’re more likely to work on it, resulting in better outcomes, reinforcing your enjoyment. I wonder what comes first. Success in the tank and thus enjoyment or enjoyment thus success.
I really like this.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success for me is if I want to keep going. If I'm enjoying the journey. Being realistic, that usually means that corals are thriving. When RTN or coral death happens, my happiness (and therefore, success) falters a bit. But I've managed to overcome, and am happier/more successful right now than ever :).

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a healthy and stable fish population and coral colonies are growing then you have achieved success.

BobFageUK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In just about everything in life we tend to measure being successful or unsuccessful by results. Can the same be applied in the saltwater reef aquarium hobby? Are "results" a true measure of success? What type of time frame should we consider? What are the results that point to success? Let's talk about it!

1. Would you consider "aquarium results" a good measure of success in this hobby?

2. What do successful "results" look like?
coral colonies, breeding fish, coraline algae, what are they?

3. What type of time frame should we consider when we're defining successful results? 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, what is it?

I started my salt water tank 60 gallons UK with a Red Sea 250 - I had tropical fish many years back but last November I came to the hobby. The one thing I noticed that my budget has gone up by three times what I thought it might have cost me. But now 11 months (nearly) I have what I think is a tank with over 30 corals, and 10 fish. I have loss fish from a tank infection (except one clown fish) I have lost other for reasons I do not know. I suffered with bubble algae (12 weeks of Vibrant got rid of the issue) I have measured my tank on the coral growth. Yes I need the fish, but I wanted a living reef and I think it has gone well so far. I hoped that a year would see it develop. Yes I have often wanted to call it a day, but with support of my wife and the fish shop I have now got to enjoy it. Would I do it again? NO to expensive and heart breaking when you lose fish. Corals have all been good.

@Char lie reef progression
One Year.gif

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That gif is bs. It’s not even the same tank. One has white seal the other has black. Seriously though that’s not one year of growth.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back