Are "aquarium results" a good measure of success in this hobby? Are you successful?

What is a good measure of success in this hobby? Choose all that apply!

• Tank Grown Coral Colonies

Votes: 352 75.7%
  • Colorful Corals

Votes: 258 55.5%
  • In Tank Coral Reproducing

Votes: 222 47.7%
  • Coralline Algae

Votes: 190 40.9%
  • Established Tank Time

Votes: 162 34.8%
  • Healthy Fish

Votes: 310 66.7%
  • In Tank Fish Breeding

Votes: 154 33.1%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 28 6.0%

• Total voters

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“You are what your record says you are” Bill Parcells I think

Success is actually measured in enjoyment, I guess you could be both successful at something and hate it, but not in a hobby. I mean what’s the point otherwise?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That gif is crap. It’s not even the same tank. One has white seal the other has black. Seriously though that’s not one year of growth.
Curious - what are you talking about? - or which 'gif'

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In just about everything in life we tend to measure being successful or unsuccessful by results. Can the same be applied in the saltwater reef aquarium hobby? Are "results" a true measure of success? What type of time frame should we consider? What are the results that point to success? Let's talk about it!

1. Would you consider "aquarium results" a good measure of success in this hobby?

2. What do successful "results" look like?
coral colonies, breeding fish, coraline algae, what are they?

3. What type of time frame should we consider when we're defining successful results? 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, what is it?

1.) That's what it's all about, right? Though success will be measured by each peron's personal goals with having an aquarium. You can be successful and just focus on fragging and propagating, of you can just have a tank for that fish you've always liked and keep it alive for years and be a success without ever having kept anything other than that one fish.

2.) For me, it's a harmonious balance of growing, healthy, colorful corals and fish along with long-term sustainability and achieving a balance without having to keep adjusting with additives. Also, naturally balancing and managing pests and nuisance algae.

3.) Arounmd 5 years if we're talking a successful reef as a whole...

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the options being subjective and was awed by how many comments related back to are you happy with what you accomplished, relaxation, etc. I dont think you can put a time line on that success. As a newbie I plan on having a lot of little successes in the next couple months, and each will build on the last. My first success will likely come this weekend when I can take a card table, put it in the one place in the living room I can and see which of my 7 card board tanks fit the best in that space while being easy to maintain. The next success will be making sure the floor will support my choice....

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the measure of success is when all the lives that are dependant upon you, are healthy and happy. From cuc to corals to fish. It doesn't matter if they are growing large enough or breeding fast enough or as colorful as we'd like. Ultimately we are creating small balanced ecosystems in our homes, and each balance will progress at its own rate. When that ecosystem is functioning it is a beautiful thing.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - what are you talking about? - or which 'gif'
The one in the first post. It came to my email that says 1 year growth and I was like no way. Maybe there is more to that story but I don’t think a lot of folks here will see that much growth in a year, the tank and layout are clearly different between photos.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In just about everything in life we tend to measure being successful or unsuccessful by results. Can the same be applied in the saltwater reef aquarium hobby? Are "results" a true measure of success? What type of time frame should we consider? What are the results that point to success? Let's talk about it!

1. Would you consider "aquarium results" a good measure of success in this hobby?

3. What type of time frame should we consider when we're defining successful results? 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, what is it?

@Char lie reef progression
One Year.gif
Even though my tank is still basically a reef virgin I feel that I’m pretty successful so far
Even though I break most if not all rules in reefing,, I keep my tank at 72.5-73,, I have many seahorses in a single tank,, plus I have fish in the mix,, I don’t quarantine any new stock I put in ,, and over feed
I have an assortment of coral and it all grows nicely (will admit a bit slowly) because of temp. But all in all everything is happy n healthy, so go figure

79291D11-7198-4402-9D1B-EC66DCCFF858.jpeg 6DA260AB-58EE-4710-B300-86DC01C96D97.jpeg D12EE34D-A55A-441C-A811-411DAC771846.jpeg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the tank look natural and realistic?

Success to me is if corals are growing fast and colorful, the tank is aquascaped well, it’s clean, and the corals in the tank go well together.

A lot of otherwise successful tanks look terrible to me because they don’t look natural.
I love a natural looking tank too.

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a freshwater hobbyist, I am inclined to think that one of the best signs of a healthy tank is when the fish are not only healthy but feel comfortable enough to spawn - assuming the fish will spawn in captivity, that is (not all fish will do so without hormones, alas). Healthy plants and little to no obvious algae growth are also big in my eyes, though in saltwater the plants would be replaced with macroalgae and corals.

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I choose other because succes for me may not be sucess for some one else.Sucess to me is looking at my tank and seeing what I like and knowing what I have in it I can keep alive and thriving and enyjoying doing everything that goes with the tank.The tank putting a smile on my face that to me is the best make of sucess.

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Char lie reef progression
One Year.gif
I'm trying to see what success even looks like. All my corals never change and all I do is test and maintain parameters at good levels with very little swings. Hopefully a year from now my success changes for the better

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the tank look natural and realistic?

Success to me is if corals are growing fast and colorful, the tank is aquascaped well, it’s clean, and the corals in the tank go well together.

A lot of otherwise successful tanks look terrible to me because they don’t look natural.
I wouldn’t disagree, but I’ve become more flexible thanks to seeing a lot of successful “artistic” aquascapes. Comparatively some of the more minimalist designs look pretty real, OTOH some look like 60’s black light posters.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back