Are bangai cardinals known to be finicky eaters?

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fiance bought herself 3 bangaai cardinals and looks like 1 is about to go. It's the only fish currently leaving a long white poo swimming around sideways.

It's only been in her QT for two days and have yet to eat any brine or mysis.

I had always thought these were hardy fish that survive very well.

Current Qt has no medication as it's only used to observe.

Water parameters are good. Other things i can think of is if the salt water i obtained from our LFS has gone off (they were in a drum for no not than 10 days).

VO6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish is different, I have one in my tank right now. He was one of the first fish I put in and he's the most aggressive fish in my aquarium. He doesn't get along with my female melanurus wrasse nor my tail spot blenny. I believe he may just be territorial. Although, he does shy away when my marine betta comes around and he doesn't seem to bother my black cap basslet. These fish have been known to not accept dry foods, so with that being said they may just be getting used to the aquarium.

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am starting to read alot about wild caught bangai's not surviving!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that you got a mated pair? I bought 4 banai's a couple years back and it turned out I had a mated pair. They terrorized the other two and never bothered anything else. I was able to get one of the victims out, but they killed the other one (stressed it to death). Since then they've been model citizens. The stringy white poo and lack of feeding response could be caused by excessive stress. Have you seen any aggression toward the fish? Of course, it is VERY possible that the issue is internal parasites.

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my lone bangaai for 6 years. He wont eat anything but frozen foods, and I feed a variety of just about everything to the tank. He snaps(literally snaps his jaw and you can hear it) at my midas blenny sometimes but other than that he doesn't bother any other fish. Having 3 of them down to 2 is inevitable anyway since they will pair up and kill the rest once they mature.

Last edited:

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above, likely two paired up and are bullying the odd man out. Banggais can only be kept in single or pair once mature enough to start pairing up. Unless it's a large enough tank for them to take over a territory, how big that is I don't know. I've been breeding Banggais for a few years now and I can I say the fry I can always get eating pellets but the wild caught mated pair will only eat frozen. A healthy Banggai should go after mysis and spirulina brine with gusto.

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14g QT.

I wouldn't know if any bullying occurred as it was in the care of my fiance.

I have already dosed it with kanaplex and metroplex, in case there were any internal parasites. Even if they don't have any internal parasites it would be safe to do so anyway?

They are about 3-4cm.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14g QT.

I wouldn't know if any bullying occurred as it was in the care of my fiance.

I have already dosed it with kanaplex and metroplex, in case there were any internal parasites. Even if they don't have any internal parasites it would be safe to do so anyway?

They are about 3-4cm.
That's too small to be bullying. I would treat for internal parasites with General Cure. @Big G Any input?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back